eq of t30s and ot12s for bass

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
Radian

Re: eq of t30s and ot12s for bass

#31 Post by Radian »

Seth wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:56 am I'm sure it was a simple editing slip. That quote isn't mine.
Fixed. Good Catch. The QUOTE button captured everything on that one.
Seth wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:56 am Would you mind expanding on that a little?
I'll keep it brief, because this is the type of stuff folks will pay very good money for, but there are several technical papers and a good book that go into great detail the science behind filters and (most importantly) their application in audio playback, respectively.

Suffice to say, crossover filter selection (better referred to as "building the network") is based on a couple of variables. Once those variables are determined (application, speaker type, pass bands, etc.) the setup is resultant (ie. not inconsequential). DSPs offer several flavors of filter types because the hardware can easily support them, but most playback systems only require a choice few....particularly horn subs.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

tactix

#32 Post by tactix »

Grant Bunter wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:32 pm There should be a bunch of presets, eg Mono Subs/stereo mains, stereo subs/stereo mains, 3 way etc etc.
Pick one of these presets that you'll never use, save into that and rename it as eg systemtryout. Yes. Everything you've done to date, well no, it will only save the last iteration of all you've been doing.

Now setup a custom installation (no wizard), with eg mono subs and L+R if that's what you're doing. Create your cross points again.Create your target curve at this stage. Creating a target curve requires you to know what to boost and what to cut based on cab response, which in this case is ok because your cabs response charts are in the SPL section. Print each chart, draw a pencil line roughly half way inbetween the peaks and troughs for the bandpass being used. Anything above the line pull down, anything below the line bring up. That's roughly flat (+/- Seth's gain matching).
Now save this as eg Systemtune in another preset you'll never use.
Okay Grant,
so looking into setting up the crossover as you suggested, I've made the charts that I think you're calling for as a reference for my adjustments. Is this about right? I'm a little skeptical of this endeavor because I'm using a different driver for my tops (F151M-8) and my subs are a different width, but I suppose with the high frequencies I can use the rta outside and get a decent sense of what the speakers are doing and adjust accordingly. These look about right?
otop_tuning.png
t30_tuning.png

tactix

#33 Post by tactix »

Radian wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:23 am
Incorrect choice of cutoff points and filter slopes for the application.
Radian, thanks for your reply.
I made these slopes much steeper than I had them previously and separated them by a good margin in order to ensure that I wasn't having the tops and subs reproducing the same frequencies and potentially contributing to the lack of clarity in the bass response I was getting in the room. The pink noise/rta response suggests to me that I've managed to get the system tuned okay despite the gap this setup is creating. How would you suggest I adjust the crossover filters?

tactix

#34 Post by tactix »

Seth wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:21 am WOW! Now THAT is a reverberant room! Holey smokes!
I'm trying to brainstorm how to address this. Any sound treatment I apply will have to be temporary. The cheapest solution I can think of is moving blankets hung from the trusses. Not the most elegant solution but I can rent them from Uhaul and see if it makes a difference. Other thoughts on how I might tame the room other than bodies ?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#35 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Making the venue suitable for music is the venue's job, not yours.

tactix

#36 Post by tactix »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:24 pm Making the venue suitable for music is the venue's job, not yours.
Fair enough but it’s for a one-off project in a temporary space. If the reflections are going to be addressed it’s at least going to have to be initiated by me.

Grant Bunter

#37 Post by Grant Bunter »

tactix wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:24 pm Okay Grant,
so looking into setting up the crossover as you suggested, I've made the charts that I think you're calling for as a reference for my adjustments. Is this about right? I'm a little skeptical of this endeavor because I'm using a different driver for my tops (F151M-8) and my subs are a different width, but I suppose with the high frequencies I can use the rta outside and get a decent sense of what the speakers are doing and adjust accordingly. These look about right?

otop_tuning.pngt30_tuning.png
Almost!

Your pencil line has to be the average for the whole band pass, which in the subs is30Hz odd to 100Hz odd, so your pencil line would be around 97.5dB (rather than where it is at around 102dB) and across the graph.
Otherwise, yes, that's the idea.

Don't RTA anything until you have the EQ adjusted!
The idea is not to get your system response ruler flat. For now, you're just after near enough. You could elect to leave the troughs at 1K and 16-20K as they are.
So it doesn't matter if it's the F151M-8 or the ASD or the whatever.

Let us know how you go...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Radian

#38 Post by Radian »

tactix wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:32 pm How would you suggest I adjust the crossover filters?
See here: viewtopic.php?t=23282

Where you select the electronic filter points to occur at in your DSP, and where the system actually experiences cross-over are two different things. The filter points govern the system, but so does the room/space. It's not linear. Use your RTA to see what's actually going on. Then pick your filter points based on what has to be accomplished, using the starting suggestions in the thread linked above.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite