What Type of crossover to use for tuba 30

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Bruce Weldy

Re: What Type of crossover to use for tuba 30

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bigrob1234 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 pm

I'm using a Yamaha mg06 mixer, I have my inputs plugged into ch1 and 2 using xlr to rca converter plugs
Mixer inputs? Amp inputs? Bottom line - XLR to RCA is a "don't do it....ever" proposition. XLR is for balanced line/mic level connections. RCA is unbalanced. Line level balanced is +4. Unbalanced is -10.

So, walk us through every connection starting at the source, then mixer, Speaker processor, amp, speakers.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bigrob1234

#17 Post by Bigrob1234 »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:18 pm
Bigrob1234 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 pm

I'm using a Yamaha mg06 mixer, I have my inputs plugged into ch1 and 2 using xlr to rca converter plugs
Mixer inputs? Amp inputs? Bottom line - XLR to RCA is a "don't do it....ever" proposition. XLR is for balanced line/mic level connections. RCA is unbalanced. Line level balanced is +4. Unbalanced is -10.

So, walk us through every connection starting at the source, then mixer, Speaker processor, amp, speakers.

Yeh I was afraid that rca to xlr wasn't a good idea, however I hade converters already lying around so I just used them lol

So for my mixer inputs I have rca to xlr
For mixer outputs /amp inputs I'm using xlr for one amp and the trs outputs for the other amp.

Then to the speakers I am using speakon 4 pole connections for subs and ts plugs for tops

Grant Bunter

#18 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bigrob1234 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:57 am For mixer outputs /amp inputs I'm using xlr for one amp and the trs outputs for the other amp.
Earlier when you said you had DSP amp for subs, but you didn't answer my question about a crossover for tops/mains.

You kinda answered above now.

So here's the thing.
You're relying on the natural fall off of the tops/mains, which, as we discussed before, could be say 60Hz.

You should never ever have two different designs trying to produce content from the same bandpass. It causes all sorts of problems.
You have subs playing to 80 or 100Hz, and tops/mains playing to 60Hz, so 60-100Hz is being played by 2 different designs.

I wouldn't be surprised if overall it sounded like crap, because you haven't mentioned EQ either.

So, you need some more gear, but I understand buying what you can when you can afford it (that's how I built my entire PA), so while you save for a crossover/EQ/brick wall limiter/RTA (guess what, It's all in 1 box and the cheapest way to get there is with a DBX driverack, used is fine and cheaper).

In the meantime though, you can institute a short term fix. One that you may end up liking so much you stay with it!

Use 1 side of your DSP amp to run subs, with HP of 35Hz and LP of 100Hz, and see if you can get that to limit to 50V.
Use side 2 of your DSP amp for tops, with HP of 100Hz and LP of 20kHz.
Daisy chain the cabs in parallel, so both subs and both tops will be in mono, but they will suddenly be much cleaner...
Last edited by Grant Bunter on Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Everything he said.... +1

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bigrob1234

#20 Post by Bigrob1234 »

Not a bad idea I must say, will give it a go and see if it really is night and day!

It is hard for me to be buying all the pro gear I really need right now, I've only just turned 18 recently and my income comes from mcdonalds so yeh ahah it'll take its time but with the legends Like you guys on these forums hopefully I'll build up my knowledge and gear eventually! I've also gone ahead and purchased some rca to ts adapters and plugged then into Chanel 3/4 of the mixer so hopefully that should be fine now.

I built the cabs more as a project for myself without having the proper gear to run it all but as I said hopefully that'll come !

Grant Bunter

#21 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bigrob1234 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:10 pm Not a bad idea I must say, will give it a go and see if it really is night and day!

It is hard for me to be buying all the pro gear I really need right now, I've only just turned 18 recently and my income comes from mcdonalds so yeh ahah it'll take its time but with the legends Like you guys on these forums hopefully I'll build up my knowledge and gear eventually! I've also gone ahead and purchased some rca to ts adapters and plugged then into Chanel 3/4 of the mixer so hopefully that should be fine now.

I built the cabs more as a project for myself without having the proper gear to run it all but as I said hopefully that'll come !
I hear ya!

Having said that, if you had told us everything up front, we would have told you
1. You will need something like a driverack.
2. Because you have the driverack, you don't need DSP amps. Non DSP amps are cheaper.

Still, it's not all bad, you got to build some subs which will be awesome when you get them dialled in, and you're learning PA stuff along the way.
You're in a better position than I was at your age :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bigrob1234

#22 Post by Bigrob1234 »

I hear ya!

Having said that, if you had told us everything up front, we would have told you
1. You will need something like a driverack.
2. Because you have the driverack, you don't need DSP amps. Non DSP amps are cheaper.

Still, it's not all bad, you got to build some subs which will be awesome when you get them dialled in, and you're learning PA stuff along the way.
You're in a better position than I was at your age :)
I've found a driverack 260 on marketplace for 750 aud used
Will this work with my tops and subs? I had a look at the website and I shall do some googling but thought I'd also ask here cause u guys have the knowledge about this

Bruce Weldy

#23 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bigrob1234 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:30 am
I've found a driverack 260 on marketplace for 750 aud used
Don't buy the 260. It's designed for running a lot more outputs than you need, but most importantly, to dive deep to make use of all of the adjustments requires a special cable running to a laptop. I know, I installed one in a venue - giant pain in the butt.....only did it because we needed the extra outputs for delay speakers.

Find a used Driverack PA, PA+, or PX. Over here, they are $200-300. The PA2 is the new version, but more expensive.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bigrob1234

#24 Post by Bigrob1234 »

Alrighty, will have a snoop around to see if I can fine one!

Thanks again!!