Ok, Bill you told me to post here. SLA center channel

Short and Transmission Line Arrays for Pros
belzarrath

Re: Ok, Bill you told me to post here. SLA center channel

#16 Post by belzarrath »

Ok, next question while I'm waiting for the last one. Could i use a dsp instead of the designed crossover? Thinking about using Dayton Audio KABD-4100 4 x 100W. or simular amp to drive the bass and sla. Never used one of these and not sure of setup, so any help would be appreciated and needed.

Grant Bunter

#17 Post by Grant Bunter »

belzarrath wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:49 am Its been awhile, Rodeos in Los Vegas and work. I am about to cnc my parts and wanted to check the tweaks I made.
I designed the cabinet to be 8" interior height vs the 7". Do I need make sure its 7". I believe I read in a post that the vas is not critical for this design.
Wherever possible, the cab dimensions should be followed.
Any changes should be based on an answer to a question, so if you've had that answer to a question from you, then sure.
If not, stick to the plans..
belzarrath wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 pm Ok, next question while I'm waiting for the last one. Could i use a dsp instead of the designed crossover? Thinking about using Dayton Audio KABD-4100 4 x 100W. or simular amp to drive the bass and sla. Never used one of these and not sure of setup, so any help would be appreciated and needed.
If you omit the internal crossover, then you effectively start biamping mid drivers and high frequency. That means 2 amp channels per cab. If you go with the KAB 4 x 100, and use the internal crossover, then you could use 1 channel per cab to power it and handle cross points between the low frequency cab, and the SLA's.
Caveat, I didn't read the user manual to see if that's possible...
Last edited by Grant Bunter on Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

belzarrath

#18 Post by belzarrath »

not sure,, that helped, but thank you for reply. Always amazed by forums designed to help. well then i guess i will go off what believe would work. Use the 8" internal dimension and adjust the depth to make the Vas the same.

Grant Bunter

#19 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ok, sheesh, let's go another way. Did you ask a question specifically saying "Can I make the internal dimension of the centre channel 8 inches"
If not, then go with the plan dimensions of 7 inches.
Built:

belzarrath

#20 Post by belzarrath »

Feel like I'm in english back in High school, Yes, I am asking will there be any major, auditable effect to increasing the height of the cabinets interior dimension to 8" keeping all other dimensions the same?

Strange Kevin

#21 Post by Strange Kevin »

You want to keep the internal volume the same as the plans.
I believe it's less critical in a sealed enclosure but I'd do the math to keep it the same.
If you raise the top "X" amount bring the back in "Y" to compensate.

Too much math for me with the curved baffle, but, Good luck with it.

The physical crosovers on the SLA are really simple. Programming the Kab board might actually take longer.. but it should be possible either way.
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Grant Bunter

#22 Post by Grant Bunter »

The best performance is attained by building according to the plans. It's part of the reason the plans are quite specific, and give dimensions.
Deviating from the plans means altering best performance, unless you get the answer from the designer, Bill, who may or may not suggest other instructions as well, as compromises.

By how much?
I don't know.
Would that be a major audible effect?
I don't know. Could be, might not be.

It certainly will alter performance in a major way if, because of the extra height, you decide you can also now move either the midbasses or the HF components and/or their relative positions.

Me, I'd just follow the plans. Not because I'm a non thinking robot. I'd follow the plans because I trust the designs as they are, based on the performance of all the cabs I've built.

Good luck with your build...
Built:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#23 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

belzarrath wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:54 am I am asking will there be any major, auditable effect to increasing the height of the cabinets interior dimension to 8" keeping all other dimensions the same?
It won't make any appreciable difference. The stock dimension is the shortest that will work. Since it's going to end up under a TV in most cases where space is usually precious I kept it as short as possible. I wouldn't bi-amp the SLA, it doesn't need enough power to justify the expense or complexity. Drive it, along with the L/R and surrounds, with an x.1 AVR.

belzarrath

#24 Post by belzarrath »

First and most important, Thank you for responding and giving me input.
belzarrath wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:54 am I am asking will there be any major, auditable effect to increasing the height of the cabinets interior dimension to 8" keeping all other dimensions the same?
It won't make any appreciable difference. The stock dimension is the shortest that will work. Since it's going to end up under a TV in most cases where space is usually precious I kept it as short as possible. I wouldn't bi-amp the SLA, it doesn't need enough power to justify the expense or complexity. Drive it, along with the L/R and surrounds, with an x.1 AVR.
[/quote]
Grant Bunter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:13 am The best performance is attained by building according to the plans. It's part of the reason the plans are quite specific, and give dimensions.
Deviating from the plans means altering best performance, unless you get the answer from the designer, Bill, who may or may not suggest other instructions as well, as compromises.

By how much?
I don't know.
Would that be a major audible effect?
I don't know. Could be, might not be.

It certainly will alter performance in a major way if, because of the extra height, you decide you can also now move either the midbasses or the HF components and/or their relative positions.

Me, I'd just follow the plans. Not because I'm a non thinking robot. I'd follow the plans because I trust the designs as they are, based on the performance of all the cabs I've built.

Good luck with your build...
Strange Kevin wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:58 am You want to keep the internal volume the same as the plans.
I believe it's less critical in a sealed enclosure but I'd do the math to keep it the same.
If you raise the top "X" amount bring the back in "Y" to compensate.

Too much math for me with the curved baffle, but, Good luck with it.

The physical crosovers on the SLA are really simple. Programming the Kab board might actually take longer.. but it should be possible either way.
I found an easy solution, add a .5" thick board to the top & bottom inside the cabinet. Now my dimensions will be as instructed.

I want to build an amp to keep all equipment in the speaker. I believe I have the design/setup, after more research I may ask for more suggestions.

Question: I know the 6 driver array has an impedance of 5.3 ohms what is the recommended minimum watts?

Seth

#25 Post by Seth »

To the regular helpers in the forum, I had to look at the original post and refresh my memory of what his intentions are. It's a modified design. Might be worth a peek again.
belzarrath wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 pm Could i use a dsp instead of the designed crossover? Thinking about using Dayton Audio KABD-4100 4 x 100W. or simular amp to drive the bass and sla. Never used one of these and not sure of setup, so any help would be appreciated and needed.
If you're wanting to drive the 8" sub, mids, and tweeters with that amp, yes it will work and yes you'll be able to omit the passive crossovers. Although, Bill may suggest using some passive components between the amp and the tweeters, depending on your tweeter choice.

Board member CarterKraft used one of those amps in his Omni12 Tall Boy build and there's a good bit of information about it in the following thread. Finally! Omni 12 Tall Boy build

My only concern is thermal management for the amp. May be fine though.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

belzarrath

#26 Post by belzarrath »

Seth wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:21 am To the regular helpers in the forum, I had to look at the original post and refresh my memory of what his intentions are. It's a modified design. Might be worth a peek again.
belzarrath wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:33 pm Could i use a dsp instead of the designed crossover? Thinking about using Dayton Audio KABD-4100 4 x 100W. or simular amp to drive the bass and sla. Never used one of these and not sure of setup, so any help would be appreciated and needed.
If you're wanting to drive the 8" sub, mids, and tweeters with that amp, yes it will work and yes you'll be able to omit the passive crossovers. Although, Bill may suggest using some passive components between the amp and the tweeters, depending on your tweeter choice.

Board member CarterKraft used one of those amps in his Omni12 Tall Boy build and there's a good bit of information about it in the following thread. Finally! Omni 12 Tall Boy build

My only concern is thermal management for the amp. May be fine though.
I had a feeling that perhaps individuals were not informed of my modifications. I was not sure if I should repost everything. Thank you Seth, I have more confidence that I maybe heading in the right direction. I will repost plans and concept soon.

belzarrath

#27 Post by belzarrath »

Well, I just got my GW-4028, dam they are ugly. After thought, I should have bought the HiVi. Flush mounting is outa the question. So maybe mount them from the back of the baffle. Any one else have an idea?

Seth

#28 Post by Seth »

Cloth grill or a beauty board to cover the frames, maybe?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Fastskiguy

#29 Post by Fastskiguy »

What is a beauty board?

Seth

#30 Post by Seth »

A thin façade that is attached to the front which covers the parts you don't want to see and shows the parts you do want to see. It can be painted, carpeted, covered in cloth, have a snazzy vinyl wrap applied... pretty much any look you want to have.

Like a bezel or trim ring, it can be made for each driver individually. Or you can make one large piece that serves all the drivers.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's