Ok, Bill you told me to post here. SLA center channel

Short and Transmission Line Arrays for Pros
belzarrath

Ok, Bill you told me to post here. SLA center channel

#1 Post by belzarrath »

I am designing/making a floating center channel shelf. The center channel is a SLA design from Bill Fitzmaurice. I am also making a portion of the cabinet a 8" subwoofer.
I would like to make sure that i have selected the correct bass for the cabinet space.
I will be attaching 4 satellite speakers to this setup.

Most important is the amp setup.
1. For the center channel and sub -- Sure Electronics AA-AB32971 2x100W Class D
2. Satellite speakers -------------------- Dayton Audio KABD-430 4 x 30W All-in-one Amplifier Board with DSP not sure how to connect four RCA to this. so 2 Sure Electronics AA-AB32165 2x25W.

How to get the TV signal to these amps??
Would this work? ATNEDCVH 5.1 Surround Sound Decoder Separator Converter on amazon.
I was unable to find any boards with ARC HDMI or opitical input 5.1.

I have attached the cabinet design and here a list of the drivers for your info.
Center channel.
6 - Godwood GW-4028s
6 - HIVI T20 8
​Sub
1 - Goldwood GW-408D

center channel box.JPG
bas bos new.JPG
The SLA is enclosed to the dimensions via your layout. The sub area is closed "sealed" via the bass box dimensions. The other side for components will be enclosed to hide amps.

belzarrath

Re: Ok, Bill you told me to post here. SLA center channel

#2 Post by belzarrath »

final look
center look.JPG

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

belzarrath, first of all, welcome to the forum!

Now, I have to say that I am curious as to why you are preferring the amp boards over an AV receiver. Just curious, is all. I have that tinkering mind as well, but, by the time one adds up the cost of all the devices it seems to make more sense to go with a AV receiver.
Also, are you tied to that form of subwoofer cabinet? Looking at the photo shared, it seems that an TableTuba would fit wonderfully under the centre channel (could build a false back/side end so that it is 55 1/2" long.
TomS

belzarrath

#4 Post by belzarrath »

Well yes I like to tinker, and no it does not always work out.
I am in the process of build a cabin,,"4 yrs" and I am close to furniture, stage. I am very European Modern design, All cabinetry Kitchen and bathroom are a floating design, and I would like as well to have this shelf be the same. Wires and mechanic hidden. Only thing I could think of to get amps hidden, is for them to be small amp boards. I'm willing to take suggestions.
I will look into TableTuba and see if it fits, here is a new picture of finish look.
Most often when speakers and sound are concerned quality and performance would be my main concern, In this build its design then performance.
vanity.JPG
vanity.JPG (14.43 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Look I am going for but in a shelf speaker.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It's not going to work. First off, to have enough output to keep up with the SLA using direct radiating woofers you'd need at least two eights. They would have to be subwoofer drivers. The Goldwood GW-408D is not a subwoofer. Then there's the matter of space loading. You're not going to get it having the subs that high off the floor. If it made any sense to do what you propose that option would be in the plans.
by the time one adds up the cost of all the devices it seems to make more sense to go with a AV receiver.
Absolutely.

belzarrath

#6 Post by belzarrath »

If it makes a difference the 8" is a sealed box design of .63 ft^3 not ported.

Is there a sub you would recommend size 6"-8" that would work in a cabinet of that size. I am just looking to get additional low end.

ACUA

#7 Post by ACUA »

Put an 8” sub driver on both sides even if the amps are in one side. That will get you closer to enough.

I think your idea is great but I see what Bill is saying, if you want a correct balance of low frequency to match you high stage you will likely want a more robust/sophisticated subwoofer configuration. At first glance I agree that doing away with the floating aspect you can use the space and put a sub on the floor beneath the SLA. Table tuba long version using an 8” driver would get it done!!!
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi, and welcome! :)

It/they would need to be horn loaded, but if you were prepared to lower the bottom of your sub cabinets to say 5cm from the floor, you would at least get some loading then.
Hang them off the wall with a french cleat. Look that up if you don't know what it is...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Keryn O'Shea

#9 Post by Keryn O'Shea »

Greetings mate, hey your floating Curve array centre channel shelf is going to look slick, great idea.. I feel though that trying to cram everything else in there will be a pain. Just as the floating sink has its plumbing hidden in the wall, would you consider running wires in the wall cavity from a receiver (which can be anywhere in the room) that has all of your connectivity and power needs, and choosing a BFM HT sub design (which can be in the best placement for the room, and not take away from the floating look your aiming for) that can be run from a board amplifier? How much bottom end are you chasing?
AT8 14", AT10 19", T30 28" LAB12, T48 36" 3015LF, THT 20" LAB15, SLA 4x3"/4x4", CArray 6x4", TLAH, TLAP, J10 FLat, J12 Flat, OT12 Flat, OT15 CD, SLAP 2x6"/4x6", WH8, DR280 Mld'd, XF210. Next J10L

belzarrath

#10 Post by belzarrath »

First off Thank you very much for all your input. :hyper:
I was working at the cabin this weekend, sorry for the late response.

Grant Bunter wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:27 pm Hi, and welcome! :)

It/they would need to be horn loaded, but if you were prepared to lower the bottom of your sub cabinets to say 5cm from the floor, you would at least get some loading then.
Hang them off the wall with a french cleat. Look that up if you don't know what it is...
I will be using a french cleat to hang the shelf, but 5 cm is not far enough off the ground for me. The shelf height will be about 8" off the floor.
Would putting a shelf under the shelf produce the same effect if it were 5cm under the speaker?

Keryn O'Shea wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:56 am Greetings mate, hey your floating Curve array centre channel shelf is going to look slick, great idea.. I feel though that trying to cram everything else in there will be a pain. Just as the floating sink has its plumbing hidden in the wall, would you consider running wires in the wall cavity from a receiver (which can be anywhere in the room) that has all of your connectivity and power needs, and choosing a BFM HT sub design (which can be in the best placement for the room, and not take away from the floating look your aiming for) that can be run from a board amplifier? How much bottom end are you chasing?

Hmm, I really wanted to build my own amp system, but it sounds by the majority, that I might need to reconsider. Maybe I could throw an amp/preamp in my crawlspace and put a sub somewhere in the room.
I am not looking to get huge amount of lows. I am looking to produce a better speaker than the normal store Bose, HK, , surround bar/center product.

ACUA wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:14 pm Put an 8” sub driver on both sides even if the amps are in one side. That will get you closer to enough.

I think your idea is great but I see what Bill is saying, if you want a correct balance of low frequency to match you high stage you will likely want a more robust/sophisticated subwoofer configuration. At first glance I agree that doing away with the floating aspect you can use the space and put a sub on the floor beneath the SLA. Table tuba long version using an 8” driver would get it done!!!
If putting two 8" sub driver in works better than just one, and would be acceptable to match the high stage I would prefer to do this.

I am not looking to get carried away, its a cabin. I already got carried away years ago when I made the home theater room.

Thank you again for all your input.

Grant Bunter

#11 Post by Grant Bunter »

belzarrath wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:21 pm Would putting a shelf under the shelf produce the same effect if it were 5cm under the speaker?
Not really, unless the shelf was the same size as the floor.
You see, it's the floor plane that's allowing loading.
Floor loading would add some (say 3) dB in some of the sub frequencies. That would be more important when you wanted to use low power subs. But if I read correctly and you're now thinking dual 8" loaded sub, then you probably need to be less concerned with loading.
Hope that makes sense...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Keryn O'Shea

#12 Post by Keryn O'Shea »

belzarrath wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:21 pm I really wanted to build my own amp system
Roger.. check out "MiniDSP" for signal, and I also like "Sure Hifi" for board amps & power source
AT8 14", AT10 19", T30 28" LAB12, T48 36" 3015LF, THT 20" LAB15, SLA 4x3"/4x4", CArray 6x4", TLAH, TLAP, J10 FLat, J12 Flat, OT12 Flat, OT15 CD, SLAP 2x6"/4x6", WH8, DR280 Mld'd, XF210. Next J10L

belzarrath

#13 Post by belzarrath »

Grant Bunter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:47 am
belzarrath wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:21 pm Would putting a shelf under the shelf produce the same effect if it were 5cm under the speaker?
Not really, unless the shelf was the same size as the floor.
You see, it's the floor plane that's allowing loading.
Floor loading would add some (say 3) dB in some of the sub frequencies. That would be more important when you wanted to use low power subs. But if I read correctly and you're now thinking dual 8" loaded sub, then you probably need to be less concerned with loading.
Hope that makes sense...
Ok,,,Just thought I would throw it out there. two subs is an easy fix.

belzarrath

#14 Post by belzarrath »

Keryn O'Shea wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:33 am
Roger.. check out "MiniDSP" for signal, and I also like "Sure Hifi" for board amps & power source
I have planned to use the miniDSP for my outside stereo system, and thought about using it with this but was going to need help with that. I was kinda looking into the Dayton amp boards with a builtin DSP.

belzarrath

#15 Post by belzarrath »

Its been awhile, Rodeos in Los Vegas and work. I am about to cnc my parts and wanted to check the tweaks I made.
I designed the cabinet to be 8" interior height vs the 7". Do I need make sure its 7". I believe I read in a post that the vas is not critical for this design.