titan/tuba with JBL E140s??

Get the lowdown on the down low.
kman

titan/tuba with JBL E140s??

#1 Post by kman »

Hi all

I am looking for a cabinet to use up some E140s I have sitting around doing nothing. I am looking to build bass bins (I already have enough full range monitors!)

I was considering either a JBL 4625 type cabinet, or a single 15 W bin set .....

I came across this site, and I really like the way the tuba and the titan look, and I was wondering if 1) anyone had any experience with using either with an E140, or 2) if someone can give me the horn data so I can plug it into hornresp to see if I like the profile. I am in Canada, so a sheet of 18mm baltic runs nearly $200, so I am not interested in trial and error. I know there are other drivers out there that will outperform the JBLs, but I have them, and I want to use them, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
K

Tom Smit

Re: titan/tuba with JBL E140s??

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi kman, and welcome to the forum!
I checked all the cabs that I could think of that used a 15" woofer, but all of them require a driver with a Qts of 0.25 or higher, whereas the E140 has a Qts of 0.17. Vas and Fs are okay. Also, that driver has an Xmas of 3.5mm, but 4mm minimum is required for sufficient low end reproduction in these cabs (T48, Simplexx15, Omni15).
Perhaps you might be willing to sell those drivers and use the funds to purchase drivers that have the specs to fit these cabs. :)
Oh, and another thing, these cabs only need 12mm plywood. My local supplier has it at $110.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Far be it for me to try to turn anyone off any of Bill's designs.
But I was in a band that used direct radiators subs loaded with E140's, albeit many years ago, and they worked fine but it wasn't to hard to push them to their limits, but more than adequate for small gigs.

Tom has mentioned Qts. Just so you know, Bill's designs are solely based on TS parameters, so trying to make a driver outside those parameters work in his designs is not very fruitful.

Also, as Tom suggested, perhaps it would be better to sell the E140's off to buy drivers recommended for these designs, for a guaranteed outcome rather than a "hope it works".

There's a bunch of dedicated Jaybee fans out there that would probably jump at the opportunity to get some working E140's.

I don't have the simplexx plans, so can't tell you if the E140's also fall outside the TS parameters for them...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

kman

#4 Post by kman »

Hey folks, thanks for that! the simple answer I was looking for!

Back to the drawing board then, perhaps the 4625 or maybe even some 4530s then. These were all designed to fit the E140s, I was just looking for something a bit more ..... interesting!

cheers and thanks for the help
K