J210 Lite Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Clef's of Bass

Re: J210 Lite Build

#31 Post by Clef's of Bass »

fender3x wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:30 pm Well now I am really curious. I have seen that sort of circle jig on the internet, but have never tried it. So far all my circles have been done with a router. Does it have an advantage over using a router?

Also curious how you cut out your baffles. You got rid of most of the excess material, which suggests that you used a router to do the final cutting...but the corners are sharper than you'd expect with a router...
The circle jig sled is awesome. Advantages are, quick set up, repeatability, table saw dust collection. Even the sled was very quick to build. Slap a delrin bar on a piece of plywood to slide on, cut with the plywood with the table saw to establish the edge, using the delrin slide. It's not without risk though. I mentioned above not to rotate the piece on the blade until the material does not extend beyond the other side of the blade. Straight sled cuts until you're ready to rotate, then rotate for finial circle dimension.

The horn braces needed to be consistent. If they weren't consistent the imperfection would telescope beyond the horn glue up and be visible.

Baffles finish cut was with a jig saw. I wasn't as concerned with that piece since almost all of it is eventually covered up.

I have cut circles with a router but was never a fan. Once the piece is clamped up, rotating the router and power cable around the protruding clamps, and when you get to the last bit to separate the circle the circle lets go and the router always gets into it a little, the dust collection is complicated... pain in the ass :chainsaw:

fender3x

#32 Post by fender3x »

you certainly have a steady hand on the jig saw.

I may try the circle sled for the next circle that needs cutting.

I do all my cutting outdoors, and don't have any form of dust extraction, so the router may not be that much worse than the table saw. I can see how using the tool with the better dust extraction would be better in a closed shop.

I know what you mean about he router cord. These days I put it over my shoulder so it's above machine as the router turns. It always makes me wonder if anyone has ever been decapitated by a router, but so far it keeps the cord out of the way. These days I don't clamp as much for routing. I have been using this double sided tape.
Clipboard01.png
It works great, but there is no getting around the sawdust.
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#33 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I have no sawdust problem. My table saw, which doubles as router table and assembly bench, is in my shop that has double doors to my backyard. I clamp a leaf blower to the end of the table opposite the doors with a bungee. I run it when cutting or routing, blowing the dust into the yard while keeping the cutting area clean.

Tom Smit

#34 Post by Tom Smit »

Last night, this video showed up in my feed. He has a trick (which I like) up his sleeve, and, he uses double-sided tape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WYQ1UEFs8
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#35 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Tom Smit wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:06 pm Last night, this video showed up in my feed. He has a trick (which I like) up his sleeve, and, he uses double-sided tape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WYQ1UEFs8
This is exactly how I've been doing my cirlcles for years. Jasper jig and carpet tape. I still have my first homemade jig hanging on the wall and can use it for bigger circles, but haven't used it in years. The Jasper is so much easier and worth the investment.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#36 Post by Seth »

I'm a fan of the router and jig for circles, and I completely agree... the router IS the absolute winner in making the biggest mess. I find a push broom to be the best dust collection method. Fortunately, I'm bald. So, I don't have to worry about getting it out of my coiffure.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#37 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Seth wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:25 pm I'm a fan of the router and jig for circles, and I completely agree... the router IS the absolute winner in making the biggest mess. I find a push broom to be the best dust collection method. Fortunately, I'm bald. So, I don't have to worry about getting it out of my coiffure.
Yep. Routers are definitely messy when cutting circles.....lots of material to hog out.

I'm also follicly challenged.....but usually have on a cap to keep from getting bulb burn from the shop lights..... :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

fender3x

#38 Post by fender3x »

I have the Craftsman version of a Milescraft jig. Just saw it on Amazon for $38 which is a steal. I bought mine as part of a kit that had a lot of useless plastic pattern following junk that I have never successfully used. But the large circle cutting jig is just great, very precise and very stable. I have made a few jigs for circle cutting and the Milescraft/Craftsman is just better. Unfortuately mine did NOT come with the small circle cutting jig.

Right now Amazon has the whole Milescraft circle cutting package for sale for $38.

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1219- ... 148&sr=1-1

I'd recommend it to anyone at that price, and I am tempted to buy it just to get the small circle cutting jig. I may yet... For now, for circles smaller than 10," I use a couple of homemade jigs. Not pretty, but adjustable enough to get pretty precise. Still, I am always looking for simple, easy jigs.

I really like the image of the leafblower. It would also help in seeing the cut with a jigsaw or router. I may see if i can rig a fan. I don't need to be able to blow out my "shop." I keep my tools in a shed, but even at this time of year it's generally too hot to work inside it. So for the foreseeable future, I suspect I'll be hauling tools outside to cut.
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

jimbo7

#39 Post by jimbo7 »

fender3x wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:30 pmAlso curious how you cut out your baffles. You got rid of most of the excess material, which suggests that you used a router to do the final cutting...but the corners are sharper than you'd expect with a router..
I drill a starter hole then use my router to trim most of it out. Then I use an oscillating tool to get right to the edge. If needed I finish it off with a rasp and/or file. I use an up-spiral router bit when I'm not using templates.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Keryn O'Shea

#40 Post by Keryn O'Shea »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:18 pm I clamp a leaf blower to the end of the table opposite the doors with a bungee.
Excellent tip!
AT8 14", AT10 19", T30 28" LAB12, T48 36" 3015LF, THT 20" LAB15, SLA 4x3"/4x4", CArray 6x4", TLAH, TLAP, J10 FLat, J12 Flat, OT12 Flat, OT15 CD, SLAP 2x6"/4x6", WH8, DR280 Mld'd, XF210. Next J10L

howiez

#41 Post by howiez »

Seth wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:53 am Dear Mr. Clef's of Bass,

I writing this letter to you to discuss an issue I have with how well crafted your cabs are.

If you would kindly dial it down a little bit, I'd appreciate it. You're making the rest of us look bad.

Warmest regards,
Seth
Ditto!
But seriously, fabulous work, keep it up!

CarterKraft

#42 Post by CarterKraft »

I saw this today, extra caution might be needed when cutting circles on the table saw.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm_5W77q ... g5MTU1MDY=
Weldon Carter

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#43 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Idiot. He tried to rotate the piece while it was still in contact with the blade. He should have pulled the sled back away from the blade and then rotated the piece.

CarterKraft

#44 Post by CarterKraft »

Agreed, but when doing a task for the first time it is really easy to confuse the order of operations...
Weldon Carter

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#45 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

He also rotated the piece in the wrong direction. You rotate the piece into the blade, with your hand on the piece on the side of it opposite the blade. He's lucky he didn't lose a finger or two.