tolerance to rain vs DR

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
joblow88

tolerance to rain vs DR

#1 Post by joblow88 »

I have a pair of 2512 and i was planing to put them in a pair of OTop 12 JArray so they would fit in the trunk of my civic. I changed car so i was considering to make a pair of dr280 insted. One of te reason is because i belive that the dr are more resistant to rain because everything is sealed up. Im i right?

Tom Smit

Re: tolerance to rain vs DR

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Well, maybe? If the rain is coming in at a 45 degree angle, then, yes. However, if the rain is coming in at that angle, I don't think there will be an event that will have an audience.
How big of an event are you planning? The OT12 will cover most. The DR280 is a large cab, and lugging it around for smaller events will get tiring. If you are considering a DR, then I suggest the DR200 or the DR250, both of which are much more manageable.
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

joblow88 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:31 pm I have a pair of 2512 and i was planing to put them in a pair of OTop 12 JArray so they would fit in the trunk of my civic. I changed car so i was considering to make a pair of dr280 insted. One of te reason is because i belive that the dr are more resistant to rain because everything is sealed up. Im i right?
If you build the OT12s with the CD horn, it's not a problem as the driver is set back enough from the front of the cab that it would be really, really hard to get water back there. And if you put grills on 'em with some foam backing - it's not even worth worrying about. My OT12s have weathered some pretty hard rain over the years. Of course, we try to get plastic over 'em as quick as we can.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Over there on the sales page https://billfitzmaurice.info/index.html

You can look up the 2 cabs for dimensions and weight.

The 280 will weigh twice as much (and maybe a 2 person lift), and take up all that trunk space you thought you had.
The DR280 also has splayed angles.

It's probably better to go with the Otop12, which will sit flat, be a one person lift, take up less room, and be a much faster build...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

joblow88

#5 Post by joblow88 »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:18 am
joblow88 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:31 pm I have a pair of 2512 and i was planing to put them in a pair of OTop 12 JArray so they would fit in the trunk of my civic. I changed car so i was considering to make a pair of dr280 insted. One of te reason is because i belive that the dr are more resistant to rain because everything is sealed up. Im i right?
If you build the OT12s with the CD horn, it's not a problem as the driver is set back enough from the front of the cab that it would be really, really hard to get water back there. And if you put grills on 'em with some foam backing - it's not even worth worrying about. My OT12s have weathered some pretty hard rain over the years. Of course, we try to get plastic over 'em as quick as we can.
Im considering to build a big rig for 1000+ people on the cheep with the grs drivers and only the 12'' and the 15'' fit the specs. Ill go with the with the OTop 12 JArray for the weight and the ease of construction. I already have a bunch of piezo so ill put a grill with some foam. would it be a good idea to put rubberized under coating on the back end of the array for weather proofing?