Grill questions

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
fender3x

Grill questions

#1 Post by fender3x »

I am still in the thinking/reading/re-reading stage for what is likely to be a very slow J12L build.... This time about grills.

My first cab was an Omni 10--an old, discontinued design. I still have some "pet screen" which was the recommended grill cloth in those ancient plans. I was wondering if it would be suitable for use between the woofer spacer and baffle the same way that the expanded metal is used in the current J12L plans? Is there an advantage/disadvantage either way?

I really like the look of the front of the J12, and so was thinking of going without a grill. That said, the melded array I built for it definitely looks better from a distance. I thought about making a grill just for the array, which would be easy enough, but it would leave the back exposed. Since I also have quite a bit of 1/8" bending plywood, I am thinking it might not be too hard to enclose the back of the tweeters.

Has anyone done something like this? Would be curious about the experience of others. This is just at the thinking stage at the moment, am also interested in what folks think could go wrong....
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

CarterKraft

Re: Grill questions

#2 Post by CarterKraft »

I'm not sure if I have the correct expanded metal or not but it is what I used in my Omni 12 TB.
If you want I can cut the piece and ship it too you if procuring the metal is a limitation.
This is the flat style no tread to speak of, it worked perfectly on my 6" mid horn.
I am a metal fabricator, I have two sheets of it in my rack...

metal.JPG
Weldon Carter

fender3x

#3 Post by fender3x »

CarterKraft wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:44 pm I'm not sure if I have the correct expanded metal or not but it is what I used in my Omni 12 TB.
If you want I can cut the piece and ship it too you if procuring the metal is a limitation.
That's a really nice offer, Carter. Thanks! I haven't even looked for the metal yet, but will keep this in mind!

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

9830Lark

#4 Post by 9830Lark »

On my J10L, I used some heavier duty plastic screen that I 'borrowed' from the wife's sewing room. She uses it to make carry-bags for the swimming pool.
spacer installedsm.jpg
final.JPG

fender3x

#5 Post by fender3x »

9830Lark wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:47 am On my J10L, I used some heavier duty plastic screen that I 'borrowed' from the wife's sewing room. She uses it to make carry-bags for the swimming pool.
That looks very much like the pet screen that I have. How is it working? It looks like you did not put it under the spacer...how is it attached? It certainly looks good!

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

9830Lark

#6 Post by 9830Lark »

fender3x wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:27 am
9830Lark wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:47 am On my J10L, I used some heavier duty plastic screen that I 'borrowed' from the wife's sewing room. She uses it to make carry-bags for the swimming pool.
That looks very much like the pet screen that I have. How is it working? It looks like you did not put it under the spacer...how is it attached? It certainly looks good!
It's fine. It rarely leaves the house, so it's not like it's been in a knife fight. I just embedded it in PL before I mounted the spacers on top.

fender3x

#7 Post by fender3x »

I see now! Once I blew it up it was clear that what I was confusing for cut lines was actually squeeze out from the PL Thanks!

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10