Finally! Omni 12 Tall Boy build

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
Seth

Re: Finally! Omni 12 Tall Boy build

#106 Post by Seth »

If I'm not using the tone generator in my digital mixer, I either use an app or an online tone generator
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Seth

#107 Post by Seth »

Weldon, let me ask you, because I just assumed...

Are you more interested in getting it dialed in quick and easy? Or, is fiddling with all the DSP features and functions to get this thing ULTRA dialed in part of the fun for you?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Grant Bunter

#108 Post by Grant Bunter »

CarterKraft wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:41 pm Do you guys recommend a "test album" of your most common test tracks?

Edit: I'm hoping to just be able to purchase via download etc. an album of the most common test tracks used.
Your best bet is to play songs you know so well that you can tell if something seems to be "missing".

Suitable songs are a generation thing.

I tend to use songs I consider to be well engineered at recording.

You might get heaps of suggestions if I start it off, but, oh well;

Steely Dan, Easy Lover Phil Collins (esp "that" hi hat), Supertramp (Breakfast in America album), anything from 90125 Yes, AC/DC, and a bunch of country stuff...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#109 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If there's a better produced song than Steely Dan 'Aja' I haven't heard it.

CarterKraft

#110 Post by CarterKraft »

Seth wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:31 pm Weldon, let me ask you, because I just assumed...

Are you more interested in getting it dialed in quick and easy? Or, is fiddling with all the DSP features and functions to get this thing ULTRA dialed in part of the fun for you?
I am not wanting to try and beat Zelda...
I can usually get a audio system (auto based) setup and tuned fairly well, doesn't give me much trouble.
Having said that a "pro" might be able to tell me I suck and it sounds terrible.

In short, so with the features in this DSP amp and your guys help I thought I could attempt to follow a PRO method to get tuned and check my ear/ability.
Grant Bunter wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:52 pm
CarterKraft wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:41 pm Do you guys recommend a "test album" of your most common test tracks?

Edit: I'm hoping to just be able to purchase via download etc. an album of the most common test tracks used.
Your best bet is to play songs you know so well that you can tell if something seems to be "missing".

Suitable songs are a generation thing.

I tend to use songs I consider to be well engineered at recording.

You might get heaps of suggestions if I start it off, but, oh well;

Steely Dan, Easy Lover Phil Collins (esp "that" hi hat), Supertramp (Breakfast in America album), anything from 90125 Yes, AC/DC, and a bunch of country stuff...
I have a pretty good feel for my "go to songs" and that's usually how I do it.
But the question is always there, is it me or is this "good". I understand subjective = good.
Weldon Carter

CarterKraft

#111 Post by CarterKraft »

As it sits with the same tune as in the video it does 29.2v to the woofer before clipping on a 36v DC supply.
On 24v DC it made 21.4 and seemed like noticeably less output.

I am just messing around getting familiar with all this stuff until I get the mic.
Weldon Carter

Bruce Weldy

#112 Post by Bruce Weldy »

CarterKraft wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 pm

I am just messing around getting familiar with all this stuff until I get the mic.
Just be aware - the mic is just a tool. Don't try to let your eyes determine how things sound by looking at a graph. It will help to locate problem areas so you can address them quicker. But, you've got to do it outside away from boundaries so the room doesn't affect what you are doing.

Honestly, with a single cab situation like you have, you are going to a lot of trouble.......but, if you're having fun with it, then full speed ahead!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CarterKraft

#113 Post by CarterKraft »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:04 am
CarterKraft wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:28 pm

Just be aware - the mic is just a tool. Don't try to let your eyes determine how things sound by looking at a graph. It will help to locate problem areas so you can address them quicker. But, you've got to do it outside away from boundaries so the room doesn't affect what you are doing.

Honestly, with a single cab situation like you have, you are going to a lot of trouble.......but, if you're having fun with it, then full speed ahead!
Point taken.
Yeah I am enjoying the process, I like learning and adding new skills to the tool kit so it's PAR for this type of venture for me.

I got the DSP profile all setup last night but I learned that if you ever make a mistake in the design (like leaving unconnected nodes) and try to write it to the Eprom it corrupts the project and have not been able to save one so you have to start all over...
Weldon Carter

CarterKraft

#114 Post by CarterKraft »

Check my rough draft if you will.
layoutv4.JPG
Weldon Carter

CarterKraft

#115 Post by CarterKraft »

I finally figured out for whatever reason that modifying a existing project doesn't seem to work that great. It runs out of RAM/MIPS? when compiling.
So I started from scratch, that is what you are seeing in this screen shot, I have not took the time to label everything because I am not 100% sure It will compile/write to the DSP chip.

The parametric EQ seems to be capable to have many bands but each band uses RAM and I didn't want to get greedy so a 9 band is what I started with.
The frequencies listed are just taken off a Behringer MINIFBQ FBQ800 so I have no idea if that is the correct freq's I need or not. It is easy to change , just type in the field.
Weldon Carter

Seth

#116 Post by Seth »

Are you sure that's a parametric EQ? I've never seen a GUI presented that way. Does the blue button above the band slider bring up a window to adjust Q?

I've only seen them look like this:

Are you able to find that one?

Apparently, it's located here:

What does the GUI look like when you open the individual driver EQ's?

I'd add the dynamic bass module after the pre-crossover EQ, followed by the Psychoacoustic/SuperBass module prior to the mono mixer.

Other than that, I think it looks good.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

CarterKraft

#117 Post by CarterKraft »

Yes exactly, the button on the slider opens a dual knob interface that adjusts Q and gain I think, for sure Q.

I think I can pick either style, the slider or straight filter based method like you posted. In my mind I wanted to see sliders so I looked for that one, but it could easily be the style you posted, that is actually what the individual EQ's are for the drivers.

So far getting a "working" project has been the struggle so I was trying to add logic/algorithms in steps so I can see when/if it get's messed up.
Weldon Carter

CarterKraft

#118 Post by CarterKraft »

Seth wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:52 am Are you sure that's a parametric EQ? I've never seen a GUI presented that way. Does the blue button above the band slider bring up a window to adjust Q?

I've only seen them look like this:

Are you able to find that one?

Apparently, it's located here:

What does the GUI look like when you open the individual driver EQ's?

I'd add the dynamic bass module after the pre-crossover EQ, followed by the Psychoacoustic/SuperBass module prior to the mono mixer.

Other than that, I think it looks good.
Here is the slider GUI
sliderGUI.JPG
This is the individual driver GUI
paraEQGUI.JPG
Weldon Carter

Seth

#119 Post by Seth »

I personally much prefer the more traditional parametric than the one with sliders. I find the visual representation of the individual filters to be very helpful.

But, it's your deal. Whatever floats you boat. Whatever turns ya on. Whatever's clever. Whatever puts lead in your pencil. Whatever toots your horn. Whatever suits you. Whatever blows your skirt up.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

CarterKraft

#120 Post by CarterKraft »

I see what you are saying in regards to looking at graph on the RTA device then adjusting a "graph" to alter it.
That might be easier to "see" the impact of the changes vs moving a slider.

The changes made to the project are supposed to be real time but I had some trouble with that in testing, some features were real time and others required the project to be re-compiled. I don't know enough about all this to know if I am doing it wrong or not.

My iMM6 mic didn't come in yesterday but maybe tonight.
I also realized I skipped the dampening foam (I guess I got too excited) so I need to revisit that.
Weldon Carter