Finally! Omni 12 Tall Boy build

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
CarterKraft

Re: Finally! Omni 12 Tall Boy build

#151 Post by CarterKraft »

I had that thought too but there are several details that scare me.
First problem is I am not a painter...
Second if I have to do coats of DT then will the stencil stick or just leave rough edges?

I have a guy with some laser/cnc hobby machines that can cut the logo out of some 1/8x plywood.
I was thinking of just glue it to the face with wood glue then duratex over all of it like normal, fill the letters cut outs etc. with colored epoxy.

Or just sand the raised surface back to wood then paint the logo on the raised surface with a regular stencil.

The duratex is the solution and the problem...
I also have a very high level of expectation for any of these types of projects that carry my company logo, a perfectionist problem.

Luckily I have stainless logos that will be easy to attach to the cabinet and not require paint.
I might have the laser guy cut me some bf logos out of the ply to do the same thing with as the dB logo.
Weldon Carter

Seth

#152 Post by Seth »

Honestly, all the ideas sound like they'd come out really nice.

The scary paint stencil deal... you could certainly try it out a couple times on some scrap and see how it goes. Get an idea of how it turns out, iron out details in the procedure, or scrap the idea altogether.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#153 Post by Tom Smit »

Seth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:17 pm Also... I was thinking about the dB logo. What if you painted the color of choice on the cab prior to DuraTex, put the stencil on, DuraTex over the stencil, then peel it up before the DuraTex dries. Might look pretty cool that way.
Very similar idea to what I was thinking.
TomS

9830Lark

#154 Post by 9830Lark »

I made my logo on a CNC laser from Anodized aluminum business card blanks. The laser 'burns' off the anodizing, leaving the design. Might be an option, I can share my laser settings, if needed. It has to be set a bit differently than you do for wood.
aluminum plates.JPG

CarterKraft

#155 Post by CarterKraft »

Seth wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:26 pm Honestly, all the ideas sound like they'd come out really nice.

The scary paint stencil deal... you could certainly try it out a couple times on some scrap and see how it goes. Get an idea of how it turns out, iron out details in the procedure, or scrap the idea altogether.
I'm going to ponder this a little. I need to see if my vinyl cutter can cut the thickness of foam and leave a decent cut quality to create the mask of the shape, I don't think regular vinyl will make a very good stencil for paint that that thick... pondering this now maybe I just leave it satin black with a perimeter around the shield. Then just use the vinyl decal and clear over it with some epoxy. Maybe no skill required for this method...

If I can create the correct stencils I can probably make something really cool or just paint over all of it with duratex when it fails :lol:
Weldon Carter

CarterKraft

#156 Post by CarterKraft »

9830Lark wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:33 am I made my logo on a CNC laser from Anodized aluminum business card blanks. The laser 'burns' off the anodizing, leaving the design. Might be an option, I can share my laser settings, if needed. It has to be set a bit differently than you do for wood.

aluminum plates.JPG

One of those would be awesome for it too, and easy to have made by my guy. :clap:
Weldon Carter

CarterKraft

#157 Post by CarterKraft »

This looks perfect I think to glue down and roll with the duratex?
Subtle logo that I can detail with a brush to "fill" in the recess from the letters and create the pop.

7DCA850C-3D12-4402-A2AC-A1733A1B1158.jpeg
Weldon Carter

Seth

#158 Post by Seth »

So, I was soaking in the hot tub after my workout this morning, thinking about random stuff, and this popped in my mind... "dB Slayer". Interesting how you chose to write that. dB as in decibel. OR a possible slight to DiamondBoxx. Was that your intent? Either way, I like it!

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

CarterKraft

#159 Post by CarterKraft »

Seth wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:28 pm So, I was soaking in the hot tub after my workout this morning, thinking about random stuff, and this popped in my mind... "dB Slayer". Interesting how you chose to write that. dB as in decibel. OR a possible slight to DiamondBoxx. Was that your intent? Either way, I like it!
double entendre if you will :clap:

My son and I wanted to take a shot a my friends whimpy speaker with the name but after mulling some over they all sounded too targeted.
I then jsut decided to come up with names that might mean "loud" and it just sort of fell together dB Slayer could be decibel or diamond boxx... :D
Weldon Carter

Tom Smit

#160 Post by Tom Smit »

:loler:
TomS

CarterKraft

#161 Post by CarterKraft »

Threw it back together to use at my Dad's celebration of life.
My duratex, corner handle, protectors all came in but there isn't time to get that done before tomorrow obviously.
1000001279.jpg
1000001282.jpg
1000001280.jpg
Last edited by CarterKraft on Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weldon Carter

Seth

#162 Post by Seth »

Just looking at it, it's brining me back through all the cool stuff you did on this project... Flush inlayed the tweeter, made the custom lens adapter on the lathe, figuring out all the in's and out's of the integrated DSP board amp, tuning tribulations, etc. I hope you're proud of yourself and what you've built. You should be.

It's been said by others that DuraTex hides a multitude of sins. Personally, I've never given it the chance to cover and hide anything I thought was questionable. In my mind, I'd rather take the time to fill and sand prior to DuraTex than not be happy with the result and have to fix it after the fact or just deal with it as is. After putting in all the work building the cabs, I want them to look as perfect as possible. Bruce is one I recall who might be able to offer some valuable input that's counter to what I'm going to point out and recommend. His cabs seem to look great, so he knows what he's talking about when it comes to what DuraTex will and wont adequately hide. But, me personally, I'd take a little extra time and put some wood filler or drywall mud in some of those rough spots and screw head divots then give it a quick sanding before putting DuraTex on. It's one of those things that's a little tedious when I'm so close to being finished. But, I've never regretted it after the fact. DuraTex application guide recommends Elmer’s Carpenter’s Color Change Wood Filler for best results and warns that plastic wood fillers and many other types of filler may not dry or cure hard and will stay rubbery which will not allow adhesion for the DuraTex. If memory serves correctly, the application guide used to recommend drywall mud.

Perhaps you intended to anyway. But, just thought I'd put it out there for consideration.

Screenshot (238).png
Screenshot (237).png

I hope tomorrow is a special day for you and all your loved ones to cherish, Weldon.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

CarterKraft

#163 Post by CarterKraft »

Thank you for the compliments, Seth.

I actually re-read the thread the other day as a reminder, I already forgot about the threaded adapter problem haha

I intend to give it a body shop treatment before the duratex goes on. I have to refine some of the details, USB programming cable, power switch and light, Bluetooth connection switch and light, probably a aux port as well.

I ran it at the event off my Kindle tablet at ambient sound level for 4 1/2 hours and got the 5.0ah battery down to 2 bars on the gauge, plenty IMO.

Several people asked me where I got the speaker and how could it even run off a drill battery, or have that much output, I explained it wasn't PFM but it was BFM lol.

I am looking forward to getting it finished and especially tuning it.
Last edited by CarterKraft on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weldon Carter

Tom Smit

#164 Post by Tom Smit »

If there was a "like" button I would have hit it.
TomS

CarterKraft

#165 Post by CarterKraft »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:24 am
CarterKraft wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:28 am
I also realized I skipped the dampening foam (I guess I got too excited) so I need to revisit that.
You need to do that before any more testing.
I found a new 1.5" to 2" foam mattress topper when cleaning up recently. I currently have quilt batting stapled in the cabinet, would it be worth it to swap the batting for the mattress topper foam when I pull it down again to duratex?
Weldon Carter