Yet another newbie, sorry guys

Anything not covered elsewhere.
LioninSpace

Re: Yet another newbie, sorry guys

#76 Post by LioninSpace »

Hi guys,

I did a factory reset yesterday. I did a "soft" reset. Will that be enough or do I have to do what they call a hard reset? I put the High pass and low pass as discribed. There is still very little output from those subs. I took a little video that shows the LED levels on the controller as well the input section, the output section and the sub out section on the driverack. It is quite clear that there is signal coming but even at intense input levels, there is not as much coming on the sub-out (one LED blinks) and very little from the subs themselves even at full attack on the power amp. I have not done a play back of that video yet, but I hope that it is audiable how small the output is.

How do I upload the video here?

I also hope to get a friend with a multimeter to visit me this week or next to be able to tell if these speakers just have to be pronouced dead :horse:

I hope not, but if so, than at least I know what is wrong.

Just measuring the resistance over the speaker, right?

Fingers crossed on the subs. On one hand, I would be happy to have an answer as to what is wrong, on the other, I would not like to learn that this 18 y/o kid and his father fooled me into buying something that is broken.

Greez from Germany,

André

Seth

#77 Post by Seth »

Hey André, Good to hear from you.

LioninSpace wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:46 am I did a factory reset yesterday. I did a "soft" reset. Will that be enough or do I have to do what they call a hard reset?
A soft reset is fine, it clears all the settings and returns them to default. A hard reset would also erase any saved profiles and reset the user lockout password.
I put the High pass and low pass as discribed. There is still very little output from those subs.
A couple different settings have been recommended. Which did you do? The instructions at the bottom of post #71? There are also some important questions in that post that could help us figure this out for you. Did you keep them in the same location? Where is that in the room?
How do I upload the video here?
You have to upload it to YouTube first. Then post the link here.

You can also insert a video player directly into your post in the full message editor (not the "quick reply" at the bottom of this page). There's an insert function that says youtube. Press it and this appears in the text
"[youtube][/youtube]"

Copy only the portion of the web address that's after the "=", in BLUE... youtube.com/watch?v=domjqjQ_WRI
Paste it in, so that it looks like this... ['youtube]domjqjQ_WRI[/youtube]
I also hope to get a friend with a multimeter to visit me... Just measuring the resistance over the speaker, right?
You should be able to buy a multimeter for less than €35. A handy tool to have.

There's a few measurements that would be helpful to know. Yes, DC resistance across the speaker terminals while disconnected from the amplifier. Also, the AC voltage measured across the amplifiers output terminals with the speakers disconnected and playing a 60Hz sinewave.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Seth

#78 Post by Seth »

André, will you do me a favor and post a photo of your DJ controller, showing all the slider and knob positions?

I'm 95% positive the speakers are fine and there's just something missing in the setup that's causing your issues.

I'm fairly confident I can figure it out with you on a video call. Next time you want to work on it, text me a day or two ahead of time and I'll make myself available any time of day... 3am my time? No problem. I'm game.

Multimeter... you don't need anything fancier than this one
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Multimeter-K ... B08CX9W7G3

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

LioninSpace

#79 Post by LioninSpace »

Alright, this is somewhat insane but here is my news of what did happen over the last few weeks:

I got a chance to measure the speakers with a multimeter. The actual ohm was a bit unclear (not easy to get a stable connection with those things sticking inside the plug) but there clearly was a value between two of the connectors.... to measure, I used a speak-on connector plug. It had four connections but obviously only two would connect to the speaker. After some trying, I clearly saw that there was resistance, so the speakers are Indeed fine.

Tonight, I finally got around using my CD player as direct source for the drive rack. I am using a pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 which I normally feed into the controller. Instead I pluged it from RCA out into the balanced input of the drive rack. The level gain was insane. I had to hit the jog wheel in an instant as I thought the place comes down. I had one amp on 45% and the other on 30% as a usual setting when using the controller at a loud, but not at all party level. Bypassing the controller now, that level was about to blow the roof off. I never had it nearly as noisy even during parties. And guess what, now I can get a response from the subs too. They don't sound great, but if I recall it right, Seth did ask me to put the frequency range very narrow like from 35Hz to 45Hz or something. So obviously, that does sound a bit strange and not very musically, but there certainly is a sub working now.

This is giving a more clear picture in that the speakers and the amps are fine. The issue is the controller. Question now is, what on earth is the setting that can kill that much of the gain and nearly all sub output of the DDJ-RX? Or is this machine in fact broken and that was the reason it was sold? Poor me not knowing better buying this half broken thing and not knowing the difference as I didn't even have subs for over a year after I brought the controller?

@Seth, I don't know how your are available for that video call, but I feel this is the moment to start looking for a moment to do it. The problem is now isolated enough for us to digg in there and see what can be done. I am also going to do some google search to see what it might turn up. I just wanted to let you guys know straight away.

Damn, I love this controller, I don't want it to be broken. Well, fingers crossed!

Best,
André

Bruce Weldy

#80 Post by Bruce Weldy »

LioninSpace wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:49 am Instead I pluged it from RCA out into the balanced input of the drive rack.
where is the +4/-10 switch set?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#81 Post by Seth »

Good to hear from you André. :thumbsup:
LioninSpace wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:49 am ...Seth did ask me to put the frequency range very narrow like from 35Hz to 45Hz or something. So obviously, that does sound a bit strange and not very musical...
If you followed my instructions in that post, it should have sounded pretty good (amazing, even). Guessing you didn't set the gains as outlined. No big deal. We'll get there.

Good to hear there's progress.
...Question now is, what on earth is the setting that can kill that much of the gain and nearly all sub output of the DDJ-RX?..
w1ho6zmz09pyraioxy08.jpg

- Master Level and Trim knobs (red box). Trim controls the individual channel output gain and can kill the output if set too low. Master Level too.
- Low EQ and Filter/Sound color FX knobs (yellow box) can kill the bottom end. Put all the knobs in the yellow box straight up until you get this sorted out. Matter of fact, put the HI and MID knobs straight up too.

Send me a text message on Whatsapp any time, but at least a few days ahead of when you want to video chat and I'll make myself available or arrange a time that works for both of us. :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's