Of loose screws and piezo glues...

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
fender3x

Re: Of loose screws and piezo glues...

#16 Post by fender3x »

J_Dunavin wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:39 pm ok, ok see how the screw holes are out of round? I tried to use drill bits, but they would catch. A step drill bit works ok, but i found a cone shaped bit on the dremel opens them up real nice.

They are looking good!
I wondered about how to drill. I'll try the Dremel approach. That makes great sense.
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

howiez

Re: Of loose screws and piezo glues...

#17 Post by howiez »

I tried two ways. I bought a small container of MEK at my local big box home improvement store (in the paint section). I melted (dissolved) my array trimmings in a baby food jar with a few ounces of MEK for days. I kept stirring, and adding until I got the consistency I wanted. Then I slathered that in some of the holes with a toothpick. I also used it to butter the back side of my array to strengthen it. I also tried plumbers cement for ABS, which you can get in black, it works very nice as well. Takes a bit for either method to dry. The plumbers cement I'm sure is relying on a thin film in a tight pipe joint to weld the two together. Just dropping it in air in quantity seems to take time. Same for my MEK/ABS slurry. It takes a bit to cure and has to be done outside or in a well ventilated garage. That stuff stinks! Almost all of my array screws were loose after taking off the piezos for cutting/gluing/painting. I probably ended up putting something in almost every single hole.

When I build the next one, I probably won't remove the piezos, I'll tape like you did, and avoid painting them altogether.