David build

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: David build

#31 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It's not the midranges, since the crossover is at 200Hz. Those deep peaks and valleys are classic boundary effect. The good news is that they're not severe. Using EQ to boost the nulls and reduce the peaks should do the trick. The response you have to 30Hz most speakers, at any price, can only dream of.

jammer

#32 Post by jammer »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:14 pm It's not the midranges, since the crossover is at 200Hz. Those deep peaks and valleys are classic boundary effect. The good news is that they're not severe. Using EQ to boost the nulls and reduce the peaks should do the trick. The response you have to 30Hz most speakers, at any price, can only dream of.
I really appreciate the feedback! Boundary effect definitely seems like the issue here. In the 'dj position' measurement the mic is about 30" from the back wall.
I'm looking forward to putting these in a treated room to gather some more measurements and then doing some treatment in my living room.

They really sound so amazing and I'm so excited to go deeper into room acoustics and tuning.

If/when I want to do some EQ in my own room, is DSP the way to go? (I realize there's probably a lot to that..)

Thanks again-

jammer

#33 Post by jammer »

Grant Bunter wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:06 pm It's likely to be the room(s), but remove a variable or two.
Unless the LF is coupled, it is likely to lose some content due to cancellation based on distance apart for the cabs.
And since chest thump is in that 50-70Hz kick drum region, any dips there could explain what you're experiencing.

Here's another way to identify what you're thinking is lacking.

Go back to those songs, and rather than play them via the Davids, analyse them with, say Audacity (search the net on how to use Audacity to determine content).
If the frequency response in the region measured in room is different to that displayed in content in audacity, then that helps determine the next steps (which is to remove the deficits without creating others at different frequencies)...

That's a great tip. I've used Audacity before but not for that.

shrub0

#34 Post by shrub0 »

Not sure if my model is right but I've tried to model the david in hornresp and I do see a dip at 85hz (but not at 55). It may be possible to bring that region up with EQ.