SLA HT build and questions

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
cdorety

SLA HT build and questions

#1 Post by cdorety »

Hey there,

I just ordered 2 SLA HT kits from speakerhardware.com. There isn't much information on the site about the specifics of the drivers and tweeters.

I ordered the four 4" plus six tweeter kits.

"Specified Goldwood drivers and tweeters" is all the website states, and if I look for a 4" Goldwood on SH I can't find any.

Maybe that info comes with the kits? I guess I will know when I get them.

Also there isn't any info about the OHMs or wattage per cabinet. I'll need to match an amp to these. I want some DSP but am on a bit of a budget so I am looking at the Behringer NX1000D with a quieter fan replacement. I know an AVR or home stereo amp would be appropriate for these cabinets, but they are to be part of a PA environment, so a pro amp makes more sense.

Any info about the drivers and opinions on amps are welcome. Thanks!
Last edited by cdorety on Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: SLA HT build and questions

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

All is explained in the plans, without which you can't build the speakers. As for PA, the standard SLA isn't intended for that use. The SLA Pro is.

cdorety

#3 Post by cdorety »

Thanks Bill! I look forward to getting started on this build.

This PA setup is a bit of a hybrid system: both for live jams and for listening. It's also a small space. After reading a ton about your designs on this forum and from examining all options compared with REW measurements in the space, the small SLA seems like the correct addition. I already have a PA system, it just lacks in a way that I think the SLA will fill in for nicely. I have done some experimenting with other home theater amps and small speakers that I have around, and I am getting great results just adding a touch of extra sound to the existing PA.

The SLA Pro, even the 2x2 cabs are physically larger than I want to add to the space. In the future, I might like to replace my current PA tops... at that point a pair of SLA Pros will be perfect.

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

Maybe that info comes with the kits?
As far as I'm aware, the kit you ordered from speakerhardware.com does not include plans. The plans need to be ordered from Bill separately by following the instructions here.

I'm excited for you and your new build! :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

cdorety

#5 Post by cdorety »

Thanks Seth!

Seth

#6 Post by Seth »

cdorety wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:20 am Also there isn't any info about the OHMs or wattage per cabinet. I'll need to match an amp to these. I want some DSP but am on a bit of a budget so I am looking at the Behringer NX1000D with a quieter fan replacement. I know an AVR or home stereo amp would be appropriate for these cabinets, but they are to be part of a PA environment, so a pro amp makes more sense.
With the recommended drivers wired per the plans, the nominal impedance is 8Ω. There's no power recommendation in the plans. The combined RMS value of the drivers is 280watts. However, that's a little misleading. Something around 100watts would be appropriate even though the combined RMS value is much higher.

I have the older model of that amp, the NU1000D (purchased in 2016). It put's out about 120 watts per channel at 8Ω. I have mine running dual mono, one channel to a full range cab and the other channel to a small ported sub which is set up in a bedroom size rehearsal space for my father who plays acoustic electric guitar, vocals, and backing tracks through the system. Occasionally, I'll plug my bass guitar directly into the system too. It's more than enough power for that particular space and use. The DSP in the unit is fairly easy to navigate from the controls on the front of the unit, and is more than sufficient to handle the processing needed. I have the system's base EQ settings being taken care of in the unit as well as the crossovers and a high pass filter on the sub. It has worked flawlessly for me in this application.

I'm not aware of the difference between the older "NU" and the newer "NX" series amplifiers from Behringer, so I can't present this as a fully informed recommendation. But, if they're similar, you should do quite well with that amplifier, for your needs.

I have no complaint about the fan at all, in mine. I've never noticed it. But, also haven't specifically listened for it either. The amp sits about 5 feet from where people are in the room, in direct line of sight.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

cdorety

#7 Post by cdorety »

Thanks again.

I got the plans (thanks Bill!), and drivers should be on their way soon.

I have a bit of an (maybe slightly unfair) advantage in the build process as I have a 4x8 CNC router and plenty of high quality plywood scraps of all appropriate thicknesses.

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

I don't think I got to say welcome in your other thread, so welcome :)
cdorety wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm This PA setup is a bit of a hybrid system: both for live jams and for listening. It's also a small space. After reading a ton about your designs on this forum and from examining all options compared with REW measurements in the space, the small SLA seems like the correct addition. I already have a PA system, it just lacks in a way that I think the SLA will fill in for nicely. I have done some experimenting with other home theater amps and small speakers that I have around, and I am getting great results just adding a touch of extra sound to the existing PA.

The SLA Pro, even the 2x2 cabs are physically larger than I want to add to the space. In the future, I might like to replace my current PA tops... at that point a pair of SLA Pros will be perfect.
It's great you've got REW nailed enough that you can modify what you're using for sound for your multitask purposes.
Something was ticking away in the back of my head when I read your intro thread , and now this one, and it's taken me a while to work out exactly what, but it's this:
If you REW a room (any room, regardless of size) based on the cabs you have, identify deficits, add more cabs and get a more acceptable result to you from REW, great.
As long as you leave it that way.
But you're not going to do that, because the cabs you added belong to other systems around the house right?
So, in essence, what you have achieved?
The answer to that is, you measured (via REW) the rooms response to the cabs inside it.
Changing out the cabs may, no will, require REW all over again, and don't be surprised if cabs positions alter as well.

BTW, did you take into account any differing phase response with different cab types (phase response is important, difficult to understand, and may either lead to any of summing, cancellations, and null deepening)?

Hope this gives you some food for thought, and is of some use...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

cdorety

#9 Post by cdorety »

Grant,

Hi and thank you for the welcome.
As long as you leave it that way. But you're not going to do that, because the cabs you added belong to other systems around the house right?
Yes the other cabs will all go back where they came from as they are needed in those locations! I mean, who doesn't need at least one listening rig in every room? I kid......I just somehow ended up with lots of amp/speaker sets over the years.
So, in essence, what you have achieved? The answer to that is, you measured (via REW) the rooms response to the cabs inside it. Changing out the cabs may, no will, require REW all over again, and don't be surprised if cabs positions alter as well.
Indeed, and I measured the room in several configurations, with and without added cabinets. I will, no doubt, be looking at all of that again as I introduce new components. It's always that balance of measured curves, budget, and perceived sound.....and that there's kind of never a right answer. The space is ..acoustically challenging. But, over time, I will tweak and treat it and try different configurations. Short of moving house, that is all I can do. And I am NOT moving house for acoustic listening reasons :)
BTW, did you take into account any differing phase response with different cab types (phase response is important, difficult to understand, and may either lead to any of summing, cancellations, and null deepening)?
I did NOT consider this....but now I will. Seems like a combination of DSP delays and relative cabinet positions can have great effect here.

I have a smaller sound studio room with two Adam A7s, a decent 10" sub, and tons of acoustic treatment. It took me a long time to find the best location for the monitors and the sub (SBIR was a big issue). It is a very small room with a low ceiling, and two concrete walls. Ultimately the placements were a bit counter to theory. but it sounds amazing in there. It's my best listening rig.

Grant Bunter

#10 Post by Grant Bunter »

^Awesome, you're all over it.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

cdorety

#11 Post by cdorety »

This forum is great. SO much info here!

I just did an inventory of my appropriate plywoods and it turns out I have enough 1/2" bamboo ply to do both SLA cabs.

But I see Bill has specified a 3/4" thick piece of material for the front baffle. Is there any reason I can't substitute the 1/2" bamboo ply here? I'm not 100% sure on the specifics, but the bamboo ply is definitely more dense than Baltic birch or MDF.

They sure would look nice in bamboo.

Thanks
Last edited by cdorety on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seth

#12 Post by Seth »

You can absolutely build it entirely out of ½" ply.

The plans state you can build the cab out of 1/2" ply or 3/4" solid lumber. I think the part about building a hybrid with the sides and back of the cab out of ½" ply and the baffle out of ¾" solid is purely an option, so a finished cab won't show any ply laminations/end grain around the perimeter of the baffle. Or, if you choose to bevel or round over the edges, the end grain/laminations of ply would be visible from the front of the cab too, where solid wood will blend in better for a more uniform appearance. I think seeing the laminations could work as a positive visual effect if done well. Up to you how you finish it.
Last edited by Seth on Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#13 Post by Seth »

This speaker is assembled with the baffle recessed instead of a cap like the SLA, but shows what can be done to accentuate plywood laminations/end grain that would be visible after rounding over or beveling an SLA baffle made of ply. I personally like the look and agree that bamboo would look great too, assuming the inner plies are fairly void free. Even if there were voids, I don't think filling them with filler would look too bad in the end.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

cdorety

#14 Post by cdorety »

Ah, those look great. Thanks Seth.

The plans state you can build the cab out of 1/2" ply or 3/4" solid lumber
While I did read that part of the plans....I kinda got some Cad-itis from looking at the 3D model and my brain fixated on the dimensions therein.

I took Bill's sketchup model into Rhino/Grashopper and built a parametric version that automatically adjusts the top/bottom and back panel sizes to my exact material thicknesses.

Am waiting for my drivers to start cutting anything though, as I want to measure the physical objects before cutting good material.

cdorety

#15 Post by cdorety »

Got my box of speakers/drivers today!

I guess I know what I am doing this weekend :)

Pics coming soon