Second public run - Family Wedding DR200-Titan48

Post your reviews and pictures here.
howiez

Second public run - Family Wedding DR200-Titan48

#1 Post by howiez »

I thought I'd post another review/update for my second outing. This was the real deal, the important wedding, for my oldest son. We had two options for setup, which I had mentioned in another thread. We could be in the normal 'balcony' position, or on the floor in a corner. I wanted to be on the floor, but that took one table out of the equation for dinner and the space is tight anyway. We had tables for 80 people and it was snug.

We set up the DR's on tripods on the balcony, tilted down a bit, not as much as I'd like, but a bit with my new brackets that will be detailed in my original build thread. I put the Titans side by side, firing into a corner, maybe 3 feet away from the wall. I wasn't sure what kind of distance I was going for. Needless to say, I had enough bass, more on that later. I did not have my RTA mic with me, because it was forgotten in the basement an hour and a half away. I could have had family bring it, but I also couldn't track down the two 25ft XLR's I kept just for the mic/setup. They turned up later in another box, but I powered through tuning to sound good to me, then let my brother tweak it some more. He DJ's part time borrowing someone else's gear, or renting. Now he'll borrow mine if we can shrink those Titans LOL. I need some slims.

We used VirtualDJ at his request, and his laptop and DJ collection. He made two playlists ahead of time. We had one instrumental for dinner, turned down quiet. Then he made a 4 hour booty shaking list for the dance, many songs being requested by the Bride and her bridesmaids. You'll see in the pictures, the balcony is up pretty high. And the room is very live, lots of glass and tile floor. I put 8 parametric filters in place, one at 40Hz and the rest kind of evenly spaced up to 20k. We then dialed back the mid bass and midrange a bit, as it was muddy, maybe 6db. I had 3dB of boost at 40Hz, but we did have one corner that was diagonal from the subs, very loud there. The highs were flat or sloping down 3-6db low due to all the glass. It was bright for sure, and in the other room, (you can see the dance floor from the pictures), it was crystal clear in there, bouncing off the far glass wall. I was worried it would echo or sound awful, but it was OK after we softened it a bit.

I only have one or two pictures from end of night right before we tore down, and a couple from morning setup before we started. The wedding went smooth, dinner was awesome, and the dance went great. We had plenty of people enjoying the dance floor and requesting songs all night. According to the owner of the venue, we had 4 separate noise complaint calls. They finally asked us to turn down the bass about 30minutes before we shut down. I actually just turned down the gain on the sub amp to about half throttle. The booty shaking continued, so I figured we were OK. I sat outside, all doors closed and you could barely hear it on the east side of the venue near their firepit/social area. My brother checked the level with an app on his phone, which isn't all that accurate, but to the south outside the glass wall, it was barely 70dB. I have to think to the west there may be residences behind the trees. Maybe the bass carried there, or maybe across the highway, but who knows. Certainly no high end was bleeding outdoors. I'll call it a success and another notch in the belt of the Titans.
Optional DJ corner, and where bass node was killer.
Optional DJ corner, and where bass node was killer.
Balcony where we set up. Titans in corner on left, DR's flanking the lights on the triangle/point
Balcony where we set up. Titans in corner on left, DR's flanking the lights on the triangle/point
My brother at the wheel, but you can make out T48's in corner and DR200's on tripods flanking the light tripod he borrowed.
My brother at the wheel, but you can make out T48's in corner and DR200's on tripods flanking the light tripod he borrowed.
The view of the dance floor/room and glass wall from under the balcony back 10 or 15 feet into other room
The view of the dance floor/room and glass wall from under the balcony back 10 or 15 feet into other room

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Second public run - Family Wedding DR200-Titan48

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

IME some people will complain if they can hear anything.

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Congratulations with: your son's wedding, good sound, having your brother as a DJ, on accomplishing a good event with decent sound.
TomS

howiez

#4 Post by howiez »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 am IME some people will complain if they can hear anything.
I was thinking exactly this.
Tom Smit wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 pm Congratulations with: your son's wedding, good sound, having your brother as a DJ, on accomplishing a good event with decent sound.
Thanks! pressure is OFF!

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Howie, congrats on the new daughter :thumbsup:

And congrats on another successful system deployment. A pair of DR200's and a pair of T48's... the quintessential Bill Fitzmaurice killer combo :thumbsup:

Well done buddy :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

howiez

#6 Post by howiez »

I don't think I should start a 3rd review, but maybe an afterthought or follow up. My youngest son, who helped build most of this project, wanted to show them off at work. He planned to take the whole rig in and set it up on one end of the small family owned business (fab shop) for a day.

He didn't think he'd fit both T48's in the back of his Honda Pilot, so he planned to take one top and one sub. I know somewhere here someone said T48's won't keep up with DR's in outdoor (in his case open space) settings. I warned him about this and made him set it up to test at home. We had done all 4 cabs in our driveway in open space without issue. But I wanted to account for 1 sub instead of two. Even in my single car workshop, one sub in the middle of the room, bass was lacking. He was so disappointed he wasn't going to take them to work after all. He didn't want anyone poo-pooing BFM designs. Their fab shop is 20 or 30foot ceilings, commercial steel shed maybe 100ft x 40feet with lots of roll up doors that are open all summer. Well, I measured his SUV and told him we'd get both subs in if one was in back seat (folded down) sideways, and other slid in from back. Then a top in front seat, the other top in back with rack of amps.

We made it work, and most of his co-workers and the owner were blown away. One guys said his garage speakers were better, and I still laugh every time I think of this response. There is always one. This is so overkill for a garage, but dang does it sound good. Never mind I expected this response out of at least a few people. It was a guy from sales, so there's that. One person complained it gave them a headache. Now mind you this was not war volume, just loud enough for background music. And it was on the opposite end of the weld shop from this person. They also have a guy who is in a band, and he's interested in BFM now. And the owner is interested in a something after hearing them.

We'll call this another good show.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

howiez wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:58 am Even in my single car workshop, one sub in the middle of the room, bass was lacking.
You don't want to do that. You don't get boundary loading while you do get boundary reflection cancellations from all four walls, so it's worse than outdoors.
One guys said his garage speakers were better, and I still laugh every time I think of this response. There is always one.
:lol:

howiez

#8 Post by howiez »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:04 am You don't want to do that. You don't get boundary loading while you do get boundary reflection cancellations from all four walls, so it's worse than outdoors.
That is exactly what was happening, it never dawned on me. I was losing the boundary loading by my son moving it out to hookup and make sure he was wiring everything right, setting up the PA2 etc. It hadn't occurred to me the cancellations, I was probably 6ft from the side wall and 8ft from the rear wall. I had even wired to one near wall to show him the difference. Never occurred to me there were 2 teaching moments there.

Thanks again for all the wisdom!

Gauss

#9 Post by Gauss »

Nice! I did a prom for 250 from the balcony with a similar set-up. I was concerned about the tops being loud and clear if they were bouncing off the ceiling, so I put them downstairs and used gaff tape to keep the wires out of the way. The sub is a dual 15 T48.
Attachments
20230427_173751.jpg
AudioFlyer DJ: DR200 & Titan39/Titan48
BASS: Combo Amp & Titan39