SLA Pro and WH6 live band review

Post your reviews and pictures here.
AlBrum

SLA Pro and WH6 live band review

#1 Post by AlBrum »

Hi,

So to replace some old eminence driven 12 tops I build 2 SLA pro's and to add to our Wedges 2 WH6. I've done a good number of gigs with these now and here's what I found. Sorry for lack of pictures!

I play in a Reggae / Ska band and this being the UK and the venues being pubs we needed a thin cab as line of sight to band is often limited. Often you play needing wide coverage in rooms with low ceilings - it can be tricky hence the SLA pro's.

Build wise these were very simple - just had to have two attempts with one of the piezo arrays as I broke it when lifting the first time - they are fragile til fixed in cab! First outing I hadn't had time to Tuff Cab them - but done now and look good considering my somewhat lacking wood work shop (i.e black and decker work mate, jig saw and hand tools in the garden!) :?

Fitted with Faital pro 6's and Monocar tweeters IRRC,

Sound wise - I run then about half volume one on either side of a crown 1502 crossed over around 120. Sub support is from an MTH30 I had already built- mainly for size reasons as just fits in car upright! Again off 1502 in bridged- this is run full tilt, it being bass heavy music. 7 piece band running into soundcraft UI24r- Kick, OH (drums), percussion, guitar, bass, keys, sax vox and BV.

Main vocal monitors - 2 WH6 arranged to fire right at head of vocalist, who uses a SE V7 supercardoid - so sit in nulls nicely : 2 other small wedges - one for drummer one for sax player.(old DIY 2 + horn and small HK audio 6 +horn)

Listening to recorded music - SLAs are surprisingly clear and loud! I only run them up to half volume so never stressed. Run them almost flat - they really need little eq to sound good- so just eq by ear to room each time. They handle things very well and I've had a couple of ex pro sound engineers (ex front of house for Echo and the Bunneymen and ex Who monitor engineer) comment on clarity which was nice to hear. Slight dip at around 5K seem to help, at least to my ears.

Coverage is excellent- in some instances we've had to fire across the audience in a single stack so I've ratchet strapped one cab on top of the other on top of sub to make one tall column - this has worked very well when we only have space for one set of speakers. If you do this use two good straps for safety. The corners pieces are plastic stackable type so they lock in.

All in all - very pleased! Good design and with Faitals here in UK a cheap build too. Easy pack size, not too heavy. Next gig I will run without sub for a jazz band next week to see how that goes at our local Jazz festival in Birmingham.

As for WH6 - Took a fair few gigs to work out what to do with these! Build was more tricky and I have minimal power tools so took a while to get them made! Singer was always strugling as is quite quiet so I wanted them firing directly at her ears- run them with feedback suppression on and notch out manually a few areas each time.

I run them with piezos in side panel. Did RTA them in garden - and hacked out a ton of low mids (250-800) but found whilst they sounded good on their own they were then not cutting it on stage. Since have eq-d more flat (with roll off at 150Hz) and then scooped only a little low mid out. Can here clearly across stage and these were the lite version so very very easy to carry! As per all monitors they sound harsh on their own but once the band is going they just need to cut through.

All in all very pleased - I'd highly recommend the SLA pros as a simple first build- Here in UK most pub venues are a real challenge space wise and having a thin cab that can be made into a single stack (when safely ratcheted to a sub!) is a real bonus and helps with dispersion even more I think.

WH6 more tricky to make but the lightness is a real bonus at end of the night!

Nice one Bill - good plans and good results !

We have our holidays so not so many gigs til September - I'll try and get some photos when we are out again. Cheers from Birmingham.

Tom Smit

Re: SLA Pro and WH6 live band review

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Glad to hear that you like them!
TomS

howiez

#3 Post by howiez »

Very cool. Good to hear about the Faital's as I see them on sale in the US from time to time and they look good on paper.

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

What a great review, Al.

I enjoyed the read. Thanks :thumbsup:

Happy to hear they're all working well for you.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421