Laptop to Driverack PA2 setup help (levels)

The hows and whys of running sound.
Seth

Re: Laptop to Driverack PA2 setup help (levels)

#31 Post by Seth »

howiez wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:13 pm ...I dragged the limiter threshold down until I hold near 48v, when I try 49, it jumps occasionally to 50/51?
48 is fine and safe, 49,50,51 is likely fine too. You'll never know the difference (0.5dB between 48 & 51), so may as well and just set it for 48 and enjoy the peace of mind.

howiez wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:26 pm I think I have my problem, file i downloaded was 0dBfs, I think i need -10dBfs to be 0dB?
So the file itself is set to clip levels?
Or am I misunderstanding?
I've always just used an online tone generator if there wasn't one already built into my gear.
onlinetonegenerator.com
howiez wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:32 pm Ok, maybe i'm not clipping, I thought the orange light for each channel was clip, but it's green, then orange for Threshold. I guess that means my overeasy limiter is working.
I also just realized, now that I have a pre-amp/line out, I never turned the DBX back to 1.4v, which would explain how I get high levels so quick. I'll change it and try again.
But I'm still curious about what level of test tone I'm putting through, maybe my 0dBfs was fine, I'm just coming out of the USB box too hot now.
That can't be the case though, since it's RCA L/R, that would be consumer level or -10dB correct?
DBX_TOPS.jpg
1502_VOLTS.jpg
The picture indicates the limiter is engaged and actively limiting, not clipping. So, you're on the right track.

My best guess is, yes. The USB box is likely -10dB if it has RCA outputs and -10dB would be the correct switch position on the Driverack.

I'd try and test it the way you originally had it hooked up too, note any difference, and use it the way that makes the most sense to you. You really should be fine using the 3.5mm to XLR deal. It would also allow you to plug into phones and other devices that have a 3.5mm jack too.

However, one benefit to using a USB soundcard is, it usually gives you the option to have a headphone/monitor output for mixing, along with the mains output. Which, if you're using DJ software, may interest you.
Last edited by Seth on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Seth

#32 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:31 pm

When putting tones through the driverack - make sure the AFS (Auto Feedback Suppression) is turned OFF.
Great point! I completely forgot about that.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

J_Dunavin

#33 Post by J_Dunavin »

Seth wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:51 am
However, one benefit to using a USB soundcard is, it usually gives you the option to have a headphone/monitor output for mixing, along with the mains output. Which, if you're using DJ software, may interest you.
MIXXX specifically would require a sound card with four out for headphones monitor , FYI.
Two for mains, two for phones.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Seth

#34 Post by Seth »

Howie, did you get some play time this past weekend? If so, how'd it go?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

howiez

#35 Post by howiez »

Have some updates. We were gone camping all weekend, but came home early enough Sunday. My son and I schlepped all the gear into the driveway and hooked everything up. Bought a floor model SKB 6u rack with wheels and mounted the amps and Driverack. Picked up an ART power strip, and I'm trying to make a mount in the back of the rack for a small Asus router for tablet control of the DBX.
BFM rack
BFM rack
I did not check voltage direct from my laptop, but I can attest, sound level-wise, it plays nearly as loud as my external soundcard. So I have to thank the group for pointing out it was my measurement technique more than anything. Sine waves for the win! We set it up with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and at perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 volume it's LOUD. Anything over half volume is painful within 10 feet of them. I did not put the RTA-M on, since neighbor was mowing, and I'm close to cars and the garage/house. I'll try to get this all out to my friends 40acres in the coming weeks for some graphing.
BFM stack
BFM stack
I have clean strong bass sitting in the middle of my driveway pointed towards our yard. The tops are crystal clear. For sure the 150w drivers and my ~34v voltage limit there holds back the Titans. The Titans never get close to limit. I may turn them up a bit balance-wise and see what happens. I did play with the subharmonic synthesizer a bit with some AC-CD and Kim Mitchell just to see what it would do. I like it, but I'm not sure where to set things. Maybe that's a 'by ear' setting?

I am still amazed at how loud and clean this gear is. Thanks Bill for some great designs, and fun projects to keep me out of trouble! My neighbors will attest to the volume. I only turned it up for a few seconds here and there to listen from halfway across my yard. My neighbor 3 doors down, across the street messaged me, asking if that was my music. She thought it was kids in a car driving by her house! And my neighbor one house over, and across the street was on his back patio and said it sounded good. He's a classic rock / old vinyl / vintage gear fan, so I know he's not hating it. But I limit my loud runs, as i'm pretty sure neighbors to the east will call 5oh on me in a heartbeat LOL. I've attached a google earth of my hood. For reference, most lots are typical city lots for our area, 60ft wide at the street. I have a double or so, so does neighbor diagonal across, and so does neighbor to east. So you might say 4 houses away for my one neighbor. W is my singe car garage/workshop. Number 1 on far right is first neighbor to post on FB they heard my music indoors, dead of winter, all doors and windows closed. Number 2 is high school classmate / coworker of my wife / neighbor that messaged Sunday, said she could hear it. Not sure if she was on the patio or in house. Number 3 is my closer neighbor that loves the project. My wife said they'll change the noise ordinance and name it after me. Currently we are allowed to be noisy until 10pm.
lay of the land
lay of the land
The rig will be used in the informal friends wedding/yard party this coming weekend, so I'll report more afterwards. And I'm doing final walk through at my sons wedding venue tonight. I'll probably take few pictures to ask the group where I should set up. They have a balcony/second floor, and I may end up there due to space constraints. But again, this is background music, not loud, so I don't see too much issue if that happens. I point them out the back window of my single car garage (to right out of view, in my picture above) and we listen while working in the yard and it's SUPER fine.

Bruce Weldy

#36 Post by Bruce Weldy »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

howiez

#37 Post by howiez »

So we toured the wedding venue last night. I've attached two pictures. They normally ask DJ to set up on balcony on second floor. Seems odd to me, but i'm new to this game. I'll grant them this is a small place, we have 100 people or less in our party. I was thinking Titans firing into corner up on balcony and DR's on tripods in middle of rail/balcony/outcropping. Would I have issues if I put the tops on the first floor in a corner somewhere and left the subs upstairs? Would I put delay in them to account for the 13ft to second story floor, or even more delay to account for Titan horn length? If I run a sweep with RTA-M will it do that automatically? My other thought is to find a way to set up all gear on 1st floor somewhere after dinner tables are cleared out. The picture of 1st floor is one half of main room/area. The door on right side of picture is middle of room/with another mirror image door and room to right. Only difference is right wall is all barnboard, instead of all glass. The second picture is from the corner in the 1st picture, looking diagonal. The area under the balcony on right is all open to another small area and the bar. There is another corner on the balcony, pretty much mirror image of the picture. Open doorway in middle to a second floor seating/dining area. So I have room out on the "point" of the balcony, or I could set up on either side, or both sides. Love these Titans, but I gotta make some T24's or something for this kinda stuff LOL.
First floor looking into southeast corner
First floor looking into southeast corner
northwest corner looking from southeast corner
northwest corner looking from southeast corner

Seth

#38 Post by Seth »

Off the cuff, I'd say having the DR's up high is okay if you are able to tilt them down enough, but I'd try my best to get the Titans wall or corner loaded on the lower level.

It's difficult to get a good idea of the layout there with just the two photos. Are there more pics of the venu you can post?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#39 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I'd just keep it all upstairs. If all of the party is downstairs, then put the tops on the floor with a 2x4 under the back to shoot 'em downward. No need in using poles - just puts 'em farther away from the 1st floor ears.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

howiez

#40 Post by howiez »

Seth wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:03 pm Are there more pics of the venu you can post?
You asked... he he he
Venue
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:11 pm I'd just keep it all upstairs. If all of the party is downstairs, then put the tops on the floor with a 2x4 under the back to shoot 'em downward. No need in using poles - just puts 'em farther away from the 1st floor ears.
I might just do this! Pretty sure I have a 2x4 somewhere under all those BB scraps...