Answering questions when people see my THTLP

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Answering questions when people see my THTLP

#16 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

That's the most bizarre thing I've heard of since Cowboy Troy.

Radian

#17 Post by Radian »

Demo'ing a La Scala / THT combo is a tough proposition in that one is forced to find something melodic enough, yet low enough to actually sweat the THT any, because the La Scala will hog most of the show with their killer mid's. The real secret in the pairing being not only that the THT digs stupid low, but that it can go LOUD enough to keep up with the Klipsch's dynamic capability, all the while staying in it's own lane distortion-wise (ie. not taking a giant crap all over the mid bass with IMD like a typical direct radiator).

Try giving MEUTE's latest a whirl..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqCPGujnsE

..or The Clouds Below for a quickie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TkQ_6hPD4

Then completely spoil them with a Tash Sultana long play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2AQ6xXziEQ
Last edited by Radian on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

DaveMacKay

#18 Post by DaveMacKay »

Seth wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 pm
DaveMacKay wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:06 pm Now I need to find some music to demo the THTLPs that will really allow them to shine.
Perhaps something like theese?

All of them do in fact go as low as their titles claim. They're all "re-bassed", remixed with pitch matched sinewaves added in. They're not all great renditions of the original content. But, they should showcase the capabilities of a THT pretty well without having to play short movie tracks over and over and over. Might wanna order some museum putty for all your nick knacks though.
How did you find those versions????

Seth

#19 Post by Seth »

DaveMacKay wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:10 pm
Seth wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 pm
DaveMacKay wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:06 pm Now I need to find some music to demo the THTLPs that will really allow them to shine.
Perhaps something like theese?

All of them do in fact go as low as their titles claim. They're all "re-bassed", remixed with pitch matched sinewaves added in. They're not all great renditions of the original content. But, they should showcase the capabilities of a THT pretty well without having to play short movie tracks over and over and over. Might wanna order some museum putty for all your nick knacks though.
How did you find those versions????
Bwahahahaha :twisted:

Enjoyed that, eh?

You can search "rebassed" on YouTube. There's a few people out there that do decent job on them. It's easier to find and browse through someone's collection videos of song's they've done for music you like than it is to search for (and find) specific songs that have been rebassed.

DJ Siryn seems to have a fair mix of genre's and she does a decent job getting them to sound good most of the time.
Hidden Bass channel has some decent stuff too, but he seems to mix the sine waves a little too hot most of the time which kinda takes away from the essence the song a lot of the time. And he doesn't have many uploads. Still worth a perusing and a listen.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

AntonZ

#20 Post by AntonZ »

I find below is a nice tune for just about any horn loaded sub. It does not go superduper deep (already very nice on my modest T18), but it surely sounds much nicer to me on horn loaded subs vs direct radiators. The lows get a very satisfying clean feel to it, as opposed to a more dirty/gritty low on other systems, if heard at all. The latter is the higher frequency distortion added by direct radiators which is so effectively filtered out by a folded horn. As such this is not perfect THT material, but it surely does showcase the specific qualities of folded horn subs. Note that this youtube version is not very high quality audio. I have a FLAC version that sounds a lot cleaner.

For true THT material I would look at movies rather than music. More specifically the ones with depth charges in submarine movies, big explosions, that kind of stuff.

If it needs to be music, then pipe organs are what you'd want to try on your system. E.g.

And for instance here is one where there is not actually music played, but rather a test of the lowest notes on a quite substantial pipe organ. That should shake things up on your THT.

Rich4349

#21 Post by Rich4349 »

Speaking of folded horns filtering distortion: aren't some modern performers, or rather studio techs, ADDING bass distortion to the percussion portion of some tracks? If you listen to some rap songs, even at low volume on a decent system, the bass sounds distorted. If this is in the original material will a folded horn filter that out?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#22 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Nope. It's just like the boom-boom-boom on some hip-hop that emulates the sound of a $5k system in a $500 car. Garbage in, garbage out.

tallevan

#23 Post by tallevan »

I think the distortion you are hearing occurs in the higher frequency ranges.
It's hard to hear distortion induced by overloading a sub driver, but that doesn't mean it acts as a filter for distortion on the recording.
This would be reproduced accurately and almost entirely through your tops, I reckon.

DaveMacKay

#24 Post by DaveMacKay »

AntonZ wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:49 am I find below is a nice tune for just about any horn loaded sub. It does not go superduper deep (already very nice on my modest T18), but it surely sounds much nicer to me on horn loaded subs vs direct radiators.

For true THT material I would look at movies rather than music. More specifically the ones with depth charges in submarine movies, big explosions, that kind of stuff.

If it needs to be music, then pipe organs are what you'd want to try on your system.
Thank-you

hotbutta

#25 Post by hotbutta »

Tyga "Taste'
Pop Smoke 'Welcome to the Party '

And then 'Chaps'. Because your wife is gonna kill you for destroying the house..

ACUA

#26 Post by ACUA »

Search Bass Mekanik, that stuff is for the sole purpose of demoing the bass function of a sound system. I did a search on YouTube and you get a ton of stuff, hardly can call it music but for showing the low frequency ability of your rig it does not get any better.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Seth

#27 Post by Seth »

hotbutta wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:21 pm Tyga "Taste'
Pop Smoke 'Welcome to the Party '

And then 'Chaps'. Because your wife is gonna kill you for destroying the house..
I think that's exactly what Dave's looking for. All his friends will really love his system once he plays some Tyga and Pop Smoke for 'em. :lol:

Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Rich4349

#28 Post by Rich4349 »

Oh, hell yeah: Dave TOTALLY looks like a Pop Smoke fan!

Also: locating the THTLP immediately adjacent to a window.

2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

DaveMacKay

#29 Post by DaveMacKay »

Rich4349 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:33 pm Oh, hell yeah: Dave TOTALLY looks like a Pop Smoke fan!

Also: locating the THTLP immediately adjacent to a window.
LOL! It seems that I'm going to have to expand my musical horizons. :D

With respect to placing the THTLP next to a window ... I'm reminded of a placard that I saw at an audio store.
It said "Klipsch. Pissing off the neighbors since 1946."

hotbutta

#30 Post by hotbutta »

Well, not much shock and awe in Baroque and Bluegrass.