TLAH Listen Distance

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
nightfx

TLAH Listen Distance

#1 Post by nightfx »

I'm curious what the recommended listening distance is for the TLAH speakers. I'm planning on using them for surrounds and rear surrounds but am concerned listeners may be too close. I've tried to do some line array research online but most things I've found refer to much larger line array systems.

I'm also considering TLAHs for the L/C/R but want to confirm they handle down to 80hz with easy. If not, I'm considering building the SLA Pros for the L/C/R. Any thoughts?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: TLAH Listen Distance

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd say at least eight feet. However, they're massive overkill for surrounds at less than 20 feet. I run mine with an 80Hz crossover. SLA Pro for a living room is fine, if you're living room is the size of an average club.

nightfx

#3 Post by nightfx »

Thanks Bill.

Maybe I'll use the TLAHs for the L/C/R then and make something smaller for the surrounds. I'm 9 - 12ft back from the screen but I'm going for reference levels at the main sitting position.

Would SLAs make better surrounds or do you have any thoughts? I'm also trying to figure out what to make ATMOS speakers with; the ceiling height would put them 12+ft out.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There are surrounds in the SLA plans. IMO Atmos is Dolby jumping the shark. What you don't get from 7.1 you don't need. I'm content with 5.1 myself.

nightfx

#5 Post by nightfx »

I agree after 5.2; adding speakers starts to diminish in returns BUT I have a dedicated space and an 11.2 Marantz processor so... I can't help myself.

I'll checkout the SLA plans; I still would like them to crossover at the 80hz mark if possible. I was going to purchase the SLA plans anyway to start to build out the living room a bit.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The crossover on the surrounds is moot, they receive very little low frequency information and not that much broadband either.

nightfx

#7 Post by nightfx »

I've successfully completed the build of 1 TLAH!

When I run a sweep; there's a complete dive starting at ~120hz. Is this to be expected or have a screwed something up? The db difference from 120hz to 80hz is more than 15db.

Thanks in advance!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Measured hung on the wall?

nightfx

#9 Post by nightfx »

This is on the floor atm about 2 ft from the wall; it's the square design. It will eventually be hung on the wall though in L/C/R fashion.

From the graph I would swear there's a crossover on but I've triple checked that it's off. I'm going to hook up a different speaker and make sure the test receiver I have isn't having issues as well.

--- EDIT

Just tested with another speaker (Small Sony) and it starts to rolloff around 80hz which is what I expected from it so I think I may of messed something up putting this one together :(

nightfx

#10 Post by nightfx »

I figure I'd outline what I've done to see if there are any areas I missed or need to improve. Here's the final product:

Drivers
I've wired the woofers in 2 banks of parallel 16ohm (4 each) then wired those in series to get an 8ohm load. The tweeters are wired as described in the plans.
The woofers had a gasket already supplied on them so I just bolted them down.
The tweeters, I added a bead of silicon around them to make sure they stayed air tight.

Crossovers
I purchased these directly from speakerhardware.com so I wouldn't screw up anything in ordering them. They are wired as described in the plans.

Box
I found 5ply ACX Pine plywood and cut everything as described (best I could) within 1/8". I used Loctite PL 3 for the glue and brads to hold everything in place.

Filling
I had a ton of polyester filling laying around from other projects so I used that instead of the recommended batting. I just placed hand fulls loosely in covering top to bottom.

Rear panel
I added weather stripping to the 3/4" rails that the panel attaches to so it would be as air tight as possible.

If all of this sounds good; I'll just go ahead and build another to see if there are any major differences.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It looks good to me. Remember that the original design is intended for corner placement, which adds to the low end, so you won't get as much when not corner loaded. But just having them on the wall should improve it. Still you should try crossing over from 90 to 100Hz. The difference between there and 80Hz shouldn't be audible.

nightfx

#12 Post by nightfx »

Thanks Bill; I'll carry on and if there's any drastic differences between this one and the second one I'll compare.