TLAH Speaker Selections

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
nightfx

TLAH Speaker Selections

#1 Post by nightfx »

Hello All.

It appears speaker prices have gotten crazy!! The Goldwood GW-4028/S 4" Woofer Shielded the plans call for are now $21.49 EACH?!?!

I'm hoping this closeout speaker will work at $5.80 but I'm concerned with the cone to cone measurement for the array: https://www.parts-express.com/4-Treated ... hm-299-320

The plans are showing center to center at 4 3/8 but from what I gather; the closest possible with these drivers will be 4 3/4. Would this be an issue?

Thanks!!!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: TLAH Speaker Selections

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

This driver has been recently discussed. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26146

nightfx

#3 Post by nightfx »

Great, thanks for pointing that out!! As for the mounting; just getting them close is good enough or should I make any adjustments for the TLAH?

Thanks again; I'm always shocked at the responsiveness of this forum!

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

I got a heap of those drivers. I wanna say they actually measure in at 4 5/8" OD. (Or maybe it was 4 11/16.)... In any case, it was a tick or two less than 4 ¾".

I took a brief look at the TLAH Sketchup a couple weeks ago for the same reason and from what I recall, I think the TLAH wouldn't need any panel dimension modifications. But, obviously, the driver cutout spacing would have to be adjusted slightly. IIRC, at 4¾" OD, 8 drivers fit fine vertically. It's the horizontal clearance that may have them slightly encroach into tweeter territory. And that could certainly depend on the tweeter selection and whether they're rear mounted or not.

I'll double check both accounts in the next few days and post absolute dimensions of the driver as well as double check fitment in the Sketchup again and get back to you.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

nightfx

#5 Post by nightfx »

That would be amazing Seth! I ordered a boat load of these as well (64) to do all 7 speakers the same around the theater and have some extra.

I went with the recommend Goldwood GT-302/S 1/2" Mylar Dome Tweeter Shielded. One option may be to rear mount the drivers if the tweeters are fount mount I guess. Not sure if that throws anything else off though.

Thanks again for checking this out!!

nightfx

#6 Post by nightfx »

Well, some of the speakers came in and the packaging is horrible so 6 are clearly damaged. I'll run tests on the others to make sure they still function as expected :(

They do measure 4 11/16 though; I plan on making a template baffle with MDF to see how it will all work. Also, I called about getting Baltic Birch; that price has also gone CRAZY. Last year it was about $50/sheet - now it's $134/sheet!!!!!!

ACUA

#7 Post by ACUA »

Partsexpress has been dropping the ball on the packaging. Can’t say I blame them it gets expensive but when the part is damaged in shipping that is no good either. Darn, that sucks
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

nightfx

#8 Post by nightfx »

At least support is good; they just asked for pics and are sending more... hopefully packaged better.

Now I have to create ANOTHER RMA because the next batch made it today... there were 7 speakers just thrown in a box; all are damaged. :wall:

So I have little faith in the replacements making it any better.

Seth

#9 Post by Seth »

I'd better take a closer look at the bunch I have. The two or three I looked at were fine. But...
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

ACUA

#10 Post by ACUA »

I got part of my order yesterday, two items I did not order were in the box. Not mad but it is bad business.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio