Extension Cord / Breakout box

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Extension Cord / Breakout box

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I hate using power strips. So, several years back I built some breakout boxes. I've built a couple for myself and a few for other folks.

Since I have an acoustic gig coming up and my breakout boxes are in the trailer, I decided to build another one to keep in the garage for one-off situations. I mean, after all, it takes at least 2 minutes to open the trailer and get one......so, why not build another one and save all that time and frustration, right?

Did I mention I was bored and looking for something to do? I did fix a couple of drum mics for a guy this morning - that took 10 minutes.......

If you haven't built any of these, you should. I got the parts from Home Depot. I wanted to do black, but they had NO 14/3 or 12/3 bulk cable. So, I just went with a 25ft Rigid Extension cord. Typically I only use 12ga for power, but this one will be doing really light duty, so I saved a few bucks and went with the 14ga. I could have gone cheaper on the cord, but the orange/black stripe Rigid cables are supple and lay flat - so it's worth the extra bucks.

The box is just a standard shallow 2-gang box. You'll need a 4 outlet top plate, two outlets, and a clamp-on fitting.

Started by installing the outlets to the top plate. Once that's done, then you put jumpers between the two outlets. I had a piece of 14ga Romex laying around, so I used that to connect 'em. Some people don't know that the outlets have push-in connectors on the back. Just shove in the solid Romex wire and you're done.
IMG_3767.JPG
I put a couple of layers of heat shrink on the cord to keep it from wearing on the connector and to give it a little more girth. it's a pain to try and get the stranded wire from the ext. cord on the same screw terminal with a solid wire, so I use a solid jumper on the grounds and soldered the ground wire to it. My soldering iron was already out, so it was easier than the frustration of trying to get it all under that one screw.
IMG_3768.JPG
I put the clamp connector with the screws to the inside - just looks a little cleaner that way and you won't get jabbed with one of the screw ends when you handle it.
IMG_3769.JPG
And that's it. Easy little project that gets rid of those power strips. Grab a 50 footer and build two of 'em. Total price was $40.03. But, about $32 of that was the ext. cord. The box, cover, and outlets were only about 5 bucks. I already had a bag of the clamps.

Anyway, that's my project for the day. Thursday and Friday are gonna' be cold here, so it will be "inside" time.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

Re: Extension Cord / Breakout box

#2 Post by Bryan Cox »

I also have these. I call them "front of stage" and "back of stage" power. They're perfect for the active stage monitors, pedal boards, charging bricks, etc. One of the best things I've built. Love it.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bryan Cox wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:49 pm I also have these. I call them "front of stage" and "back of stage" power. They're perfect for the active stage monitors, pedal boards, charging bricks, etc. One of the best things I've built. Love it.
Yep, that's what we do too.....but, I also added one of those "plug every 5 feet" ext cords to run across the front of the stage. Got it off Parts Express. Pretty cheap. Solved the "is there any power up front for my tuner?" questions.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#4 Post by Bryan Cox »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:07 am
Bryan Cox wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:49 pm I also have these. I call them "front of stage" and "back of stage" power. They're perfect for the active stage monitors, pedal boards, charging bricks, etc. One of the best things I've built. Love it.
Yep, that's what we do too.....but, I also added one of those "plug every 5 feet" ext cords to run across the front of the stage. Got it off Parts Express. Pretty cheap. Solved the "is there any power up front for my tuner?" questions.
Haha. Yup. I got tired of band members rifling through my chord box for a 50' extension cord to only go 10 feet. In a stickler for having a clean stage.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide