Commercially available HF horn compatible with OT12 / ASD1001?

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
monekh

Commercially available HF horn compatible with OT12 / ASD1001?

#1 Post by monekh »

Wondering if there is a ready made horn with similar enough flare and dimensions to use with the ASD1001 and substitute for the 6mm ply horn in the OT12?
Not looking forward to building that bit truth be told so wanted to ask if anyone has had success using anything as an alternative...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Commercially available HF horn compatible with OT12 / ASD1001?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There is not. That's why we build our own.

mlkras

#3 Post by mlkras »

I use the Parts Express H6512 in all of my OT12 speakers mated to the Eminence NSD 2005 which are no longer made. They are crossed at 1200 hz and mounted with the long axis vertical.

This horn is a copy of the high frequency horn used in the JBL JRX speakers. The high end in those speakers doesn't sound very good mostly due to JBL's use of a really crummy driver. Before I built my OT12 speakers I used the JBL JRX monitors with a substituted Selenium driver and they sounded good although power hungry. I am much more pleased with the OT12 in their current configuration.

When I first purchased these horns they were about $10 each and now they are about $18. What an investment!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Since that horn doesn't extend all the way from the top to the bottom of the cab high frequency coupling between stacked cabs won't be as good. It also won't have as wide a dispersion pattern as the horn in the plans.

ACUA

#5 Post by ACUA »

It sits poised in the back of my mind and I have heard talk around here of 3D printing these horn/waveguide units that Bill prescribes. Surely it’s only a matter of time.

I am curious what would one be willing to pay for proper printed horn? I have a few resources I need to quiz about the cost of manufacturing.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

ACUA

#6 Post by ACUA »

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050021 ... de_order:2

I have plenty of reservations about the origins as well as the means and motives behind the origin of this website and the products sold. I have not as of yet been willing to risk loosing money on what I perceived as a unreliable company. However a reliable friend of mine has told me that he has had no issues with the quality of parts or the cost and shipping. He told me that he does fear the customer service and return policy but it’s a risk he has been taking successfully. He is buying motorcycle gear and parts so he says. This conversation came up after I arrived at work having my intake air box fall off as I pulled into the parking lot and he happened to be there to see the scene unfold comically.

Anyway after he expressed his satisfaction with the parts and costs, it got me thinking. I had seen many line array horn/wave guides that looked like what we want for good prices sold on Aliexpress.com I was just never sufficiently trusting to try. But now I have become tempted. If you click the link it takes you to the picture I included. That horn looks like what we want in many ways. If on the site you scroll down there are a lot of different line array horns available from this Chinese Amazon. Possibly one or more of these would serve as viable and could be properly configured into the BFM cabs. I wish Partsexpress.com had all of this stuff for obtainable prices.
Attachments
68E878A6-A66D-4593-A3CE-EE756F4878FC.jpeg

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

That particular one is way too short at less than 7 inches to couple with another box if you stack them.....unless you put one at the bottom of the top box and one at the top of the bottom box. Also might be a little too deep to fit an OT12 - not sure.

There weren't any dispersion numbers that I could see.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

ACUA

#8 Post by ACUA »

I agree, but what if we cut the bottom and top sufficient to stack two in a cab, then maybe! The depth becomes of concern,true. There are many different horns listed, however. All I am saying is that maybe some of them will work. I would consider putting two per cabinet or using one of the dual horns listed if the price and quality was right.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

ACUA wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:59 am I agree, but what if we cut the bottom and top sufficient to stack two in a cab, then maybe! The depth becomes of concern,true. There are many different horns listed, however. All I am saying is that maybe some of them will work. I would consider putting two per cabinet or using one of the dual horns listed if the price and quality was right.
You'd have to use two 16ohm drivers in parallel to keep the balance correct between the horns and woofer. Or re-do the crossover. I just don't see it being worth it. Of course, if you are bi-amping, it wouldn't be a problem.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

ACUA

#10 Post by ACUA »

I am bi-amped. From a technical standpoint I love it, from a tactical standpoint I hate it.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

That horn would work, if you have an array of them stacked from the bottom to the top of the cab, and of course separate drivers in each, just as we do with piezos.

Seth

#12 Post by Seth »

The inside height of an O-Top12 is 14", isn't it? Seems two of those would fit fairly well right out of the box unless there's a driver clearance issue.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Seth wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:04 pm The inside height of an O-Top12 is 14", isn't it? Seems two of those would fit fairly well right out of the box unless there's a driver clearance issue.
Yep, they'd fit vertically.....not sure about depth. But, if you aren't biamping, you have issues with the crossover. Seems like a lot of extra expense and effort to keep from building the horn in the plans. Plus you've unbalanced the box. And with the ASD1001, it's still a 2k horn...just like the piezos. What have you gained? If you went with the 1.2k option, the issues are the same - it's just costs even more to double up the drivers.

The more important issue than choosing the ASDs, piezos, plastic horns or the one in the plans is whether you are building the 2k version or the 1.2k version. That's where the real difference is. Build the 1.2k version with the wooden horn and you get a much better sounding box without all the extra headaches.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

ACUA

#14 Post by ACUA »

I am with you on the 1.2k crossover point.

At $34 per eminence asd1001 driver, I might rather spend the extra money and buy two of the plastic horns and an extra driver just not to have to build the horn myself. What I am hoping is that there is a single driver horn out there that can be mildly modified to fit an Omnitop12 cab. I have not spent the time searching yet. Another thing to consider is lead time on those horns shipment, I doubt it will be as quick and smooth as partsexpress.com

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

ACUA wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:55 pm I am with you on the 1.2k crossover point.

At $34 per eminence asd1001 driver,
Just making sure you understand that the ASD1001 can't be used with the 1.2khz option. Even if bi-amping - those drivers aren't going to last long going below 2k.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210