otop with only dsp?

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
amcsc4

otop with only dsp?

#1 Post by amcsc4 »

I'm not advocating ignoring the plan, i am just curious! Has anyone run an otop with no analog crossovers but instead just dsp? If so how did it perform? If you have done both how do they compare?

Bruce Weldy

Re: otop with only dsp?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

amcsc4 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:32 pm I'm not advocating ignoring the plan, i am just curious! Has anyone run an otop with no analog crossovers but instead just dsp? If so how did it perform? If you have done both how do they compare?
There are some that have done that over the years, and there's certainly no problem with doing it. But honestly, I've been running OT12s for 10 years with the passive crossovers and they sound great. Requires less cabling, less amp channels, less time spent messing with finding the correct crossover point, and balancing the system.

When I first decided to go with the OT12s, I was going to bi-amp them too......I'm glad that I didn't - life is much easier.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#3 Post by himhimself »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:44 am
When I first decided to go with the OT12s, I was going to bi-amp them too......I'm glad that I didn't - life is much easier.
+1 No need to complicate things that already work well
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

himhimself

#4 Post by himhimself »

Also, the power it takes to drive the highs is so miniscule compared to the mids, it seems like a waste of an amp channel for no real benefit.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The primary benefit of bi-amping was when amps were small, and when used with low sensitivity direct radiating systems they were pushed hard enough to have high THD, heard as distortion in the highs. I don't see it being useful for OTops unless you're running more than four of them, in which case you'd want two amps anyway, one larger amp for the woofers, and one smaller amp for the high frequencies.

amcsc4

#6 Post by amcsc4 »

Thanks everyone. The plan is 8 total (4 per side). I really enjoy fooling with FIR processing. I doubt I would see any benefit other than the fun derived from being a nerd and getting to take measurements for a day. Again, thanks for the replys. :D