Building my home theater rig, Tlah, Table Tuba

For livingroom sound better than in a theatre.
Seth

Re: Building my home theater rig, Tlah, Table Tuba

#31 Post by Seth »

I've got an MCM driver on hand. Might be a little dusty. Cover the shipping and it's yours.

PM your contact info, I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow. Zillow, Venmo, or PayPal the actual shipping charges after the fact is fine.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

ACUA

#32 Post by ACUA »

I completed one of the the entertainment center shelve/cabinets. Not sure what to call it. I am sure we can load each level with 200lb or more. Perfect for my wife to decor the hell out of them! :hyper: I am ok with this as I was able to integrate Tlah speakers into them. :D

This is the right side mind you, my wife did not want to move the tree, so it will sit on the left side for now. But in the end it goes on the right!

Special thanks to Seth who spotted me a spare MCM8” subwoofer driver for the table tuba I will be building to go with this rig. As these are on back order for months.

Thank everyone for the support. I could not be happier about these DIY High end speaker designs. More to come!!!
Attachments
2062FAD3-DD72-4531-81FE-12C05A8749B0.jpeg
97725308-A0E0-46BE-88CD-4E7767E93D9D.jpeg
B25F2954-6559-4942-9BE0-D48264FAC0AB.jpeg
3384443E-8402-4E13-BDBF-0B21CD7063AE.jpeg
734C13A5-7CAF-437A-958C-63CE4E5709E3.jpeg
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

ACUA

#33 Post by ACUA »

Today I started building my table tuba. I cut the sides. I am going to try dadoing this enclosure and see how that goes. I used my router with a flush trim bit with the bearing at the shank end. Then I clamped a straight piece of wood against each panel location edge. It actually went pretty quickly. I have an edge trim bit with 1/2in offset that I use on the edges of the panels. These router bits really make life easier.
Attachments
B3744A6B-07BC-45A5-84A8-4E13C0B05E9E.jpeg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#34 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Attaching the panels to the first side is easy, but the second side not so much. If they're not perfectly aligned you may not be able to get the second side to fit. The only way to be sure of the alignment is to screw the second side in place as each panel is attached to the first side, before fastening the panels to each other and installing braces. Let them set, then remove the second side to allow installing the next panel and repeat the process.

Seth

#35 Post by Seth »

I was wondering if chamfering, putting a 45° bevel on the 2nd side channels might help it go on easy. Load the channels with extra PL to help fill the added void.

I had considered channeling one side, then put the 2nd side on normally. I'll be curious to hear how well this goes and how the overall process compares to the standard construction technique. Seems like it would go together quicker. But, getting that 2nd side on seems it could be a bit of a chore.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#36 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The last cab I did that used dado construction was the David, and it was a royal PITA, so while I used it to build the prototype it didn't make it into the plans.

ACUA

#37 Post by ACUA »

I am afraid that I may regret dadoing the second side. I figure it may not work for the exact reasons expressed. I purchased two 4x8’ sheets of plywood for this project and should have enough extra material so that, if I can’t get the second side on I will use a straight piece. I will have to slightly modify my entertainment center frame to accommodate, but what the hell.

I like the idea of having a gig for the top of each panel to help alignment. The part I had not properly considered is the PL prematurely taking hold of the second side while I am using it as a jig. This is how I typically do things, something sounds like a good idea, get it 70% worked out then dive in full steam ahead with the mentality that I will figure out the rest along the way. :wall:

If anyone remembers the three auto tuba cabs I built. I thought I was being cleaver by keeping the panel bracing as a solid sheet matching the dimensions of the sides and having each panel divided up to fit between each brace sheet. That project made prep easier but assembly was a nightmare. I learned one way not to build these horns.

This will be fun, I’m sure, for a bit. I am happy to share my experience and blunders with the crowd. Get your popcorn ready!!!

ACUA

#38 Post by ACUA »

Seth wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:57 pm I was wondering if chamfering, putting a 45° bevel on the 2nd side channels might help it go on easy. Load the channels with extra PL to help fill the added void.

I had considered channeling one side, then put the 2nd side on normally. I'll be curious to hear how well this goes and how the overall process compares to the standard construction technique. Seems like it would go together quicker. But, getting that 2nd side on seems it could be a bit of a chore.
I am considering this maybe even widening up the dado groove such that I can shimmy the second side around sufficiently to seat the side panel properly in my mind this will work and with enough PL fill the gaps and voids as easy as having a solid piece.

If I do dry run testing on the second side panel I think I can determine where and how to modify my dados such that I can get quick consistent alignments. Once I do, if I do, then I should be ready to apply adhesive and rock and roll .

I always struggle with the last side anyway, by the time I set the side on and have to adjust it to square I have smeared out of place much of the glue, having the adhesive spread into the grooves may make a tidier process as I work to align the final side. Personally I would rather fight with the wood than the PL!

Bruce Weldy

#39 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm Attaching the panels to the first side is easy, but the second side not so much. If they're not perfectly aligned you may not be able to get the second side to fit. The only way to be sure of the alignment is to screw the second side in place as each panel is attached to the first side, before fastening the panels to each other and installing braces. Let them set, then remove the second side to allow installing the next panel and repeat the process.
And to keep it from racking, turn it up so that it's sitting on the bottom and clamp it. If you leave it on its side and just place the other side on top of the panels to keep it lined up during drying - you could end up with a side that fits, but the cab won't be square.

Plus, you best put some wax paper between the second side and the panels. Otherwise the squeezeout will make that second panel a permanent fixture.

Bottom line - it really ain't worth the trouble when you have multiple panels running at odd angles.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#40 Post by Tom Smit »

ACUA wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:33 am
I am considering this maybe even widening up the dado groove such that I can shimmy the second side around sufficiently to seat the side panel properly in my mind this will work and with enough PL fill the gaps and voids as easy as having a solid piece.
Be wary of doing that for the mouth panels because it will show the error of a misfit/sloppy dado fit. Following Bill's suggestion for dado fitment sound the best to me...one panel at a time.
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:40 pm Attaching the panels to the first side is easy, but the second side not so much. If they're not perfectly aligned you may not be able to get the second side to fit. The only way to be sure of the alignment is to screw the second side in place as each panel is attached to the first side, before fastening the panels to each other and installing braces. Let them set, then remove the second side to allow installing the next panel and repeat the process.
I only want the best for you, and for you to have pleasure of building your cab. :)
TomS

Tom Smit

#41 Post by Tom Smit »

ACUA wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:33 am
I always struggle with the last side anyway, by the time I set the side on and have to adjust it to square I have smeared out of place much of the glue, having the adhesive spread into the grooves may make a tidier process as I work to align the final side. Personally I would rather fight with the wood than the PL!
A possible work-around is to lay the 2nd side on so that it is all squared up, clamp it if you can, drill a hole in each corner, put a cut-off nail in the hole and use it as a guide dowel for the glue-up time. The last corner to fasten would be the end of the mouth (most easiest to bring into place)...work backwards from there to find your start point. Alternatively, one could clamp some guide panels along the sides for the 2nd side to drop into. (make sense?)
TomS

ACUA

#42 Post by ACUA »

Dadoing as much as I can. So far this is working out better than any cabinet I have ever built. It is easy to true everything up with dado edges. This also helps to straighten bowing panels. Why did I not do this before at least to the one side?
Attachments
FB32332C-890E-4E88-9D96-51B41E763B52.jpeg
9B2FBB8A-1E2C-482A-A8CE-FB6926641D6F.jpeg
38ED1ADA-02BD-4CA6-9434-B451E8020473.jpeg
D3E7CFF9-AA59-4F6D-9BE1-8E264E12D08F.jpeg

Seth

#43 Post by Seth »

That joint right there is so damn good looking! I REALLY like that.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

ACUA

#44 Post by ACUA »

More progress. Using cheap 1/2” 5ply my side was bowed some so I clamped to to a straighter surface inspecting for true. Glued two panels on also cut and prepared the driver baffle.
Attachments
B48E7949-DC52-4938-B648-24FF6EB849C8.jpeg
F46930AC-F338-48AA-A030-50C8FEBB8392.jpeg

ACUA

#45 Post by ACUA »

I had picked up a powered sub a few years ago at a thrift shop for $40.00. It was a bass reflex 12” driver unit and until this point I had no idea what the power was. It always got loud enough for my needs. I have had it a few years with no problems at all, easily got my money worth out of it.

I decided to use the plate amp out of the subwoofer to save money on this build. I clamped it out of curiosity and managed to squeeze a whopping 24.5v out of it. This should serve as a sufficient match to the MCM8”/TableTuba26.5” I am building.
Attachments
04F787DD-9A1A-47E7-9997-3FF1F10A8F99.jpeg