Simplexx 15 PA Horn options

Our easiest to build speaker lineup.
grh0

Simplexx 15 PA Horn options

#1 Post by grh0 »

I came into a pair of Eminence Deltalite 2515's recently, but they are currently housed in a mess of a cabinet. As a proud owner of a Simplexx 212, I immediately thought, "I've got to get these into a simplexx instead of this POS".

I'm a bass player, and I also wanted something that could pull the occasional PA duty, or even pull triple duty as an "econowave" style stereo main. The Simplexx 15 PA seems like one of the only cabs that could do all three.

I've run into one problem sourcing parts, though: the recommended Pyle PH612 horn has been discontinued, and its clone, the Dayton 6512, is back ordered until this summer. Would the Eminence 290s horn work just as well? I've found two of them available right now.
The depth of it is a bit longer, but I show that it can go as low as 1khz, and the dispersion looks pretty good as well. Thoughts? The eminence spec sheets show that it may need to be supported. I'm guessing that this is due to the length of the horn combined with the weight of the PSD2013.

thanks!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Simplexx 15 PA Horn options

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The 290 is fine. It's not recommended because of its price.

grh0

#3 Post by grh0 »

yeah, the price is not ideal, but I don't want to wait around for months either.

Do I need to worry about time alignment at all due to the difference in length? Should I try to add an additional baffle piece for the horn to get the driver voice coils closer, or is it not a real concern?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It's not a concern. It would be crossing over at 500Hz, but not 1.2kHz.

grh0

#5 Post by grh0 »

the H290 horn says that when it is used with the psd2013 compression driver that using a support is recommended.
Do you have any recommendations on how to do this? Do I just add a brace under the compression driver to hold the weight?

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

grh0 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm the H290 horn says that when it is used with the psd2013 compression driver that using a support is recommended.
Do you have any recommendations on how to do this? Do I just add a brace under the compression driver to hold the weight?
Since the plans say that driver is too deep for a single brace, use two one on either side. Wouldn't be hard to add a piece of ply between those two braces as a shelf for the driver to rest on. You'd just have to screw in the horn and driver to determine the exact location. Or, set it a little low and use some shims to get a tight fit before buttoning the whole thing up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."