Radian's T48 slim build

Post your build odyssey here.
Radian

Re: Radian's T48 slim build

#46 Post by Radian »

Hope so too, Preston. :fingers: :twisted:

More progress on Cab #1 this past weekend. Dry fitting everything, drilling holes, and sinking screws.
Sect2.jpg
Sect1.jpg
Corner.jpg
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Radian

#47 Post by Radian »

In the slim width, the instructions are to cut panel 1 into two pieces...This had me quite worried at first as this only leaves but a sliver of panel 1 with which to attach panels 2 & 5, all the while trying to keep things absolutely square.

This is where the panel-cornering jig feature of the MFT saved my butt. Locking everything down to the table, it was no big deal to sink screws into that small piece. Once attached to a larger piece, it could be placed back up to where it needed be with much less fuss. At the end of the day it was only 1mm out of square over the entire 14" width, without the second side in place.

Sharp eyes will also notice how perilously close I came to blowing that first round of screws in the corner jig through the outer layer of panel 5, as I forgot to add an 1/8" to my combination square (my typical overhang allowance) when striking that first layout line . :shock: You can actually feel the shanks through the veneer. Too damn close. :slap:
Engine.jpg
CNRJig.jpg

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Radian

#48 Post by Radian »

I've got some little triangles to measure and cut that will be used to block off the space to each side of the handholds, situated behind the reflectors. While I'm not too keen on permanently enclosing those spaces for now, I definitely don't like the possibility of people or critters stuffing shit into those areas at some point in the future.
Handles1.jpg

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

J_Dunavin

#49 Post by J_Dunavin »

Turning out really nice!
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

ACUA

#50 Post by ACUA »

I like to hide snacks in those special hiding places, for when this roadie gets the munchies!

I could see a creepy critter making a home in there :shock:

The build is looking real good. I built my first munch of cabs by winging it and just forcing fitment in the moment, always got the edges to line up but out of square af. The last few I have done I did a little bit more test fitting with clamps and screws. I have been much more successful as I can identify issues and resolve them before it is too late, a little Adderall helps in this department. The age old tail, a little extra prep work leads to far less headaches down the road.

Radian, I always admire your aim at precision as well as your patience and detail. :clap:
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Radian

#51 Post by Radian »

After dry fit, some more fabrication was required for the mouth braces and hand holds before finally laying down adhesive. Just like my Auto Tuba build, all the interior surfaces that wouldn't be seeing exterior treatment received a coat of polyurethane. Extra work I know, but I like the long term peace of mind. Cab #1 is all buttoned down as of yesterday. Pulled 2/3'rd of the screws today and trimmed some PL squeeze out where it was cosmetic. Finish routing, grills/mounts, access panel and speaker hardware/wiring to follow...in addition to paint.

The long visual lines play with the eyes. Gives off the illusion that the cab is just a "thin slice" perhaps, but even at the slim width (of ~15") the T48 design is still quite daunting in-person. Four of these are going to be straight-up menacing.

Pressing onwards to Cab #2. :chainsaw:
Attachments
Cab1PolyRS.jpg
Cab1dryfitsideRS.jpg

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Radian

#52 Post by Radian »

Cab #2 in the final stage of dry-fit. Paired up with cab #1 for a photo-op. Finally at that tipping point in the project where the bulk of the fabrication of is done (awaiting driver access panels that is). Primary assembly is trucking along steady, then it'll be onto finishing/paint, final assembly, and testing. Woot!
Attachments
T48SP.jpg

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim

Keryn O'Shea

#53 Post by Keryn O'Shea »

Such attention to detail mate, wicked build!
AT8 14", AT10 19", T30 28" LAB12, T48 36" 3015LF, THT 20" LAB15, SLA 4x3"/4x4", CArray 6x4", TLAH, TLAP, J10 FLat, J12 Flat, OT12 Flat, OT15 CD, SLAP 2x6"/4x6", WH8, DR280 Mld'd, XF210. Next J10L

danieljw

#54 Post by danieljw »

Great build !

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Clef's of Bass

#55 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Damn Radian, it's refreshing to see the accuracy and attention to detail of a well thought out build. Your efforts will pay off with the finished product. Not only in aesthetics, but reaching the full potential of these cabs.

Great work!