Ryno — new from Illinois on the Mississippi

Tom Smit

Re: Ryno — new from Illinois on the Mississippi

#91 Post by Tom Smit »

I want to suggest a TLAH with 5 or 6" drivers (they can be ones found in the bargain bin if they fit the parameters).
TomS

Seth

#92 Post by Seth »

RYNO20 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 am The crossover is very adjustable and has many slopes to select . I’ve been just going by my ears for selection.
I’ve experimented with the crossover and the equalizer, there is a lot there to take in.
I'd recommend penciling out a few different crossover schemes and trying/testing them all while taking written notes about changes and your impression of those changes.

My "go to" as a starting point has always been 125Hz on 24db LR filters. But, depending on the capabilities of the cabs, it could end up sounding better at 80, or 100... or 135.

Have you played with the auto EQ at all yet? Try it flat and listen to music. Try to set this as your target curve and see what you think.
Screenshot (90).png

My biggest enjoyment is the fact that I can have deep clean bass at such low power.
Isn't that great? You could probably only use half that amp (one channel) and never miss a thing.

I want the same for the tops, which I’m looking hard at DR280.
My 1.9 cu.ft. Vented boxes with peavey 1508-8 HE BWX speaker and P.Audio BMD750 horns sound great to me but the DR280 may get the go ahead.
Honestly, if you like the cabs you have, no reason to replace them. Unless you just want a project, which I can totally get behind. As the guys have mentioned, the 280's are overkill for your needs. But, I have a slightly different opinion about going for it/them. If you want 12's in a challenging and rewarding build... go for it. But really, the DR200's would likely still be capable of way more than you're likely to utilize. Especially given one or two subs.

RYNO20 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 amPeavey VSX 26e anyone have an opinion on its comparison to the DBX ?
I looked into the Peavey unit a little. For the price tag, it seems to be very simple and lacking features. In comparison to the dbx PA2, it looks to only have a PC interface (I know you're an iPad user). The limiter is part of it's compressor function and has a minimum attack of 1ms which is pretty slow for limiter use. There doesn't seem to be an Auto EQ function in the Peavey, or any feedback suppression feature either. (as well as no GEQ option, as Grant noted)

As far as good things, the PC user interface is well laid out and simple to understand. A PC can be connected to the unit via USB or Ethernet (same as dbx). Personally, I like the ethernet option. It can be connected to a network and remotely accessed. Or you can even convert it to wireless with a LAN bridge dongle. Nearly all my gear is networkable and accessible to make adjustments on the fly from FOH, even if it's in a rack backstage. Anyway... that's about it. Seems expensive for what it is.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

RYNO20

#93 Post by RYNO20 »

Seth wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:11 pm
RYNO20 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 am The crossover is very adjustable and has many slopes to select . I’ve been just going by my ears for selection.
I’ve experimented with the crossover and the equalizer, there is a lot there to take in.
I'd recommend penciling out a few different crossover schemes and trying/testing them all while taking written notes about changes and your impression of those changes.

My "go to" as a starting point has always been 125Hz on 24db LR filters. But, depending on the capabilities of the cabs, it could end up sounding better at 80, or 100... or 135.

Have you played with the auto EQ at all yet? Try it flat and listen to music. Try to set this as your target curve and see what you think.
Screenshot (90).png

My biggest enjoyment is the fact that I can have deep clean bass at such low power.
Isn't that great? You could probably only use half that amp (one channel) and never miss a thing.

I want the same for the tops, which I’m looking hard at DR280.
My 1.9 cu.ft. Vented boxes with peavey 1508-8 HE BWX speaker and P.Audio BMD750 horns sound great to me but the DR280 may get the go ahead.
Honestly, if you like the cabs you have, no reason to replace them. Unless you just want a project, which I can totally get behind. As the guys have mentioned, the 280's are overkill for your needs. But, I have a slightly different opinion about going for it/them. If you want 12's in a challenging and rewarding build... go for it. But really, the DR200's would likely still be capable of way more than you're likely to utilize. Especially given one or two subs.

RYNO20 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 amPeavey VSX 26e anyone have an opinion on its comparison to the DBX ?
I looked into the Peavey unit a little. For the price tag, it seems to be very simple and lacking features. In comparison to the dbx PA2, it looks to only have a PC interface (I know you're an iPad user). The limiter is part of it's compressor function and has a minimum attack of 1ms which is pretty slow for limiter use. There doesn't seem to be an Auto EQ function in the Peavey, or any feedback suppression feature either. (as well as no GEQ option, as Grant noted)

As far as good things, the PC user interface is well laid out and simple to understand. A PC can be connected to the unit via USB or Ethernet (same as dbx). Personally, I like the ethernet option. It can be connected to a network and remotely accessed. Or you can even convert it to wireless with a LAN bridge dongle. Nearly all my gear is networkable and accessible to make adjustments on the fly from FOH, even if it's in a rack backstage. Anyway... that's about it. Seems expensive for what it is.
Thanks for the info.
No haven’t tried auto EQ yet trying to get as good of baseline first.
Been busy fixing broken snowplows lately and finishing van project.
Before I start another cab I have to build a sauna, everything thing is here and waiting , it’s -15 yesterday
The DBX is just a getting used to it phase. I saw a peavey unit someone was cheaply selling but I don’t need 2 different kinds, probably will buy another dbx for house at some point.
Last edited by RYNO20 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

RYNO20

#94 Post by RYNO20 »

jimbo7 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:24 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:26 amIf you like 12s, build OTop 12s. Two of those with the 1.2hz crossover and the compression drivers are all you need for that small of a space.
I agree. My OT12's are flat-array tweets, but they're more than enough for the job. Have you looked at the OT8 or SLA Pro?
Yeah I have all the plans but without the knowledge of what they produce and or what I want for that matter.
Some people thought T-48 wide momma Lab15 was going to be too much , well it’s works for me exactly as I expected (lucky) .
I’ve followed Lenard audio’s plans a bit with bass (sub), lower voice (15 in ), upper voice (CD horn ) and tweeter above that range.
Worked out so far .
Bill has the knowledge for folding (or curving)the sound waves and aligning drivers, I think that’s what appeals to me DR280.
F76FF0DA-25BA-4666-BEC3-17A232E5D002.jpeg

RYNO20

#95 Post by RYNO20 »

Question Bill, how big is the cab for a 15 inch speaker DR and maybe some 2 inch HF drivers? I’m sure it’s too big to haul around but for permanent install it would be great.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#96 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

There is no DR for a fifteen nor for 2 inch HF drivers. What a DR300 can't do no one needs.

RYNO20

#97 Post by RYNO20 »

05350ED4-6476-42F0-9C30-74E08FEC4625.png
Question, anyone try the Nuetrix 90 degree kit on speakon ends? I did so the wire would hang without any pull on it, and they don’t lock like the straight fittings do and they breakup the connection with the speaker vibrating.
Or are there better ways to connect?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#98 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I haven't used those, but seeing the latch release I would think they must lock.

jemo1234567890

#99 Post by jemo1234567890 »

Hello Ryno,

I use some of the 90° Speakons.
They are a little bit more complicated to build together if you make your cables than the standard speakons.
But they have the same quality.

But the 90° bend only point downwards. So if you need them to point upwards you have to rotate your speakon socket of the speakers.

Bruce Weldy

#100 Post by Bruce Weldy »

RYNO20 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 pm 05350ED4-6476-42F0-9C30-74E08FEC4625.pngQuestion, anyone try the Nuetrix 90 degree kit on speakon ends? I did so the wire would hang without any pull on it, and they don’t lock like the straight fittings do and they breakup the connection with the speaker vibrating.
Because of the excellent strain relief and the fact that speaker cable is typically 12-14ga wire, there isn't enough strain on the connection from the weight of the cable to ever worry me at all.

Only speakon I've ever had fail was when someone who insisted on helping us tear down either yanked on the cable or stepped on the cable while it was attached to a monitor......can't blame the connector for stupid..... :fruit:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

RYNO20

#101 Post by RYNO20 »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:20 am
RYNO20 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 pm 05350ED4-6476-42F0-9C30-74E08FEC4625.pngQuestion, anyone try the Nuetrix 90 degree kit on speakon ends? I did so the wire would hang without any pull on it, and they don’t lock like the straight fittings do and they breakup the connection with the speaker vibrating.
Because of the excellent strain relief and the fact that speaker cable is typically 12-14ga wire, there isn't enough strain on the connection from the weight of the cable to ever worry me at all.

Only speakon I've ever had fail was when someone who insisted on helping us tear down either yanked on the cable or stepped on the cable while it was attached to a monitor......can't blame the connector for stupid..... :fruit:
These are definitely failing. They cam into place to make contact but won’t stay in contact, the locking tab is too loose. I’ve had all 5 apart and as a tool and die maker I understand how it works and was curious to hear if anyone else had this happen. I wonder if these were seconds or bad copies.
I use 12ga twisted on all my cables in the cabs for the high power stuff but 14 ga works great too , we are only using less than 100 volts.
I should mention the wires are not loose just at the contact area of the connector, the male to female part.
Last edited by RYNO20 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

RYNO20

#102 Post by RYNO20 »

jemo1234567890 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:55 am Hello Ryno,

I use some of the 90° Speakons.
They are a little bit more complicated to build together if you make your cables than the standard speakons.
But they have the same quality.

But the 90° bend only point downwards. So if you need them to point upwards you have to rotate your speakon socket of the speakers.
The gray colored spring loaded Neutrik ones that are straight I’ve had no problem with. Yes clocking them is what I did to clear items and it shouldn’t mater where they hang but they won’t keep in contact if hung out of position.
Oh yeah Hi back to ya, Germany wow.
Last edited by RYNO20 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#103 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The straight plugs won't lock if out of position either, but being straight you don't have a frame of reference as to what out of position is. Try the angled plug with an unmounted socket to see how they're supposed to align.

RYNO20

#104 Post by RYNO20 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:38 am The straight plugs won't lock if out of position either, but being straight you don't have a frame of reference as to what out of position is. Try the angled plug with an unmounted socket to see how they're supposed to align.
I did , and gravity in the correct direction keeps them in contact, otherwise no it wiggles with the vibration of the cab.
I will continue using just straight ones because they don’t wiggle.

RYNO20

#105 Post by RYNO20 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 pm I haven't used those, but seeing the latch release I would think they must lock.
They lock but not tightly like the straight ones