T36 - Blast From The Past

Get the lowdown on the down low.
loaferz

T36 - Blast From The Past

#1 Post by loaferz »

t36_ot12.jpg
Hi y'all!

Been a while since I've posted here. Pretty excited to have just gotten my small PA setup shipped out from my parents' place in Houston out to me in Los Angeles. Built this 3015lf t36 24" and 2512 ot12's in 2007 with my dad and used them a ton in college before leaving them to head out to UCLA for my PhD. From what I remember these were amazing speakers, definitely rocked the houses and got the cops called a few times :cop: :lol:

Going to take this setup camping for a little outdoor show for ~20 people and had a few questions since it's been almost a decade since I last ran them. In terms of maintenance I assume I should open the access port on the t36 and make sure the 3015lf is still secured tight? I'm pretty sure it was secured with wood screws to the horizontal baffle, but I guess it doesn't hurt to check?

In terms of driving them, I just picked up a Driverack PA2 and was wondering if any of the old-timers remember their settings for the t36? Was going to high pass the t36 at 35 Hz with 48dB LR and cross the subs/tops with a HPF at 120Hz, and LPF 125Hz both with 24dB LR. Definitely want to protect these with the limiters so I was thinking 60v for the sub and 40v for the tops (I know I should be able to hear the tops distorting before it becomes a problem).

Will update with how these turn out in the field, thank you again Bill for the fond memories and this amazing supportive community! :D

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: T36 - Blast From The Past

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

60v into the T36 is OK, high pass it at 35Hz.

loaferz

#3 Post by loaferz »

Well in the pursuit of MORE bass, one of my childhood friends who I inspired to build BFM cabs has given me a two of his dual 3012lf loaded T30's!

My question is now what to set the new voltage limits to. I don't have access to the t30 plans, but from what I can gather on the forums it seems to be that 50v or 55v are what people set the limiters to when using the dual 3012lf configuration. My friend was also generous enough to give me a Crown XLS2500 amp to drive the two cabs. From the specs online, I see this amp will do 775w stereo at 4 ohms (the 3012lf's are wired in parallel in each cab) which comes out to around 56v maximum output. I assume setting it limiters 55v would be a bad idea as there's not much headroom for the amp, but maybe 50v is the recommended limit anyways. Thanks for the previous advice on the 3015lf t36, I've used a 60v limiter on it for a couple gigs now and had no issues so far!

My other question is probably an obvious one, but from what I've read I shouldn't run the t36 and the t30's at the same time due to the different phase responses? I have another driverack so the issue of setting different voltage limiters between the different cabs wouldn't be impossible, but if there's going to be a lot of phase cancellation and muddiness I'd rather just keep the t36 for running smaller indoor gigs and use the dual t30's for the larger outdoor ones.

Thanks again and happy new years! :D
Attachments
PXL_20211231_184803054.jpg

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The plans say 50 volts with a 35hz high pass.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

loaferz

#5 Post by loaferz »

Thanks for the 50v tip! Had these babies running for 42 hours straight at a desert rave in Lancaster, multiple DJ's hopping on and off and I didn't have to worry about how much they were redlining on the mixer. Beautiful deep bass, was getting compliments all weekend that we had the best setup!
Attachments
PXL_20220115_163000802_web.jpg

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Awesome! And, you didn't even have a Vplate for just a touch extra. Cool.
TomS