Currently available piezo tweets for DR250?

For unmatched sensitivity.
mdjanda

Currently available piezo tweets for DR250?

#1 Post by mdjanda »

I'm having trouble finding a suitable replacement for the Pyle PSN1167 which was a replacement for the CTS KSN1167 piezo tweeter. The MCM 53-820 is pretty close, but the driver portion is a bit larger in diameter and extends further, making it tough to fit in a full melded array. Has anyone found a good substitute for the recommended drivers?
Thanks!

Grant Bunter

Re: Currently available piezo tweets for DR250?

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi!
How old are your plans? Or your cabs?
That style of piezo hasn't been used for many years now, melded arrays are now built from Goldwood 1016's cut to build the array.
Also added is a couple of filters which improve response in a non bi-amped cab.

Perhaps a suitable replacement would be the goldwood 1005.

Both the 1016 and 1005 are available from Speakerhardware.com
Contact Leland (forum member and owner) there...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

skippermdj

Re: Currently available piezo tweets for DR250?

#3 Post by skippermdj »

Thanks, Grant. You are correct - I built the cabs 2006-ish for my sons band, which promptly dissolved before I installed the drivers and wired the cabs up. Just recently I found a local church that was looking for a sound system so I volunteered to finish the cabs and donate them.
I did manage to make a 10-tweeter (5 per side in the vee) un-melded array of the MCM 53-820's fit after a little wood butchery. The sound is quite good. We set up out in the parking lot for an upcoming outdoor event, the DR250 tops paired with two t24's crossed over at 120hz. Very tight, clean sound from bass guitar and kick drum up through sibilants and cymbal sizzle. Vocals had good presence and clarity. Compared to the typical ported box PA speakers the DR250's are a quantum leap better and match up perfectly with the T24s.
For electronics we used a Yamaha EMX312SC powered mixer through a Parasound 120hz 8-ohm passive x-over. Surprisingly, it seems to work like a champ, plenty of power with the added benefit of being cheap. So, problem solved.