Building Omni 15 Crossovers

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
smalltownsound

Building Omni 15 Crossovers

#1 Post by smalltownsound »

[*]building some omni 15 speakers and wondering if anyone in EU can build and sell some low pass/band pass and high pass crossover filters for us.
Can send specifications to anyone interested.

EDIT: decided to build them and thought i would re-name this thread so anyone else can use...
Last edited by smalltownsound on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_Allen

Re: Looking to buy crossovers

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

Hi, you can build crossovers just using terminal blocks and a scrap bit of ply, no soldering required. TBH, if you can build an omni 15, you can build the crossover. They can be built in less than 30 minutes, I would give it go first. We can guide you through the entire process if you have questions.

If you try and it all goes horribly wrong, even with our guidance, I’ll build your crossovers!
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

smalltownsound

#3 Post by smalltownsound »

Hey Chris,
Was actually logging back on to delete my post based on the realisation that we absolutely had to build them ourselves. So its great to see your post.
Just a little worried initially with buying the correct parts.
Gonna have a proper browse of the plans and do some online window shopping tomorrow.
Is here a good place to post questions or private message? (If that can be done? New to forums)

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

smalltownsound wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:00 pm Hey Chris,
Was actually logging back on to delete my post based on the realisation that we absolutely had to build them ourselves. So its great to see your post.
Just a little worried initially with buying the correct parts.
Gonna have a proper browse of the plans and do some online window shopping tomorrow.
Is here a good place to post questions or private message? (If that can be done? New to forums)
This is an active and very helpful forum......ask all the questions you want. No flamers here.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

smalltownsound

#5 Post by smalltownsound »

Ok, starting to look online for the parts we need...
Doing the low pass first.
We are using the dual 12" 4Ω build.
Just wondering if these are the correct parts before i go ahead and buy...
for the 1.1mH coil: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalo ... -disc.html
and the 66 uF cap: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/conten ... -capacitor
Thanks to anyone...

seb
Last edited by smalltownsound on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalltownsound

Re: Building Omni 15 Crossovers

#6 Post by smalltownsound »

Put together a spreadsheet of all the parts i think I will need for this...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
if anyone willing to look and comment.
Haven't really factored in parts needed to connect the different components... wires etc
thanks

Chris_Allen

#7 Post by Chris_Allen »

The only thing I spotted was incorrect reference to a 0.5mH inductor rather than a 5mH for the mirdrange. The 17AWG coil for the woofer should be fine.

I'd also check the stock on some of those items, Bill recommends values within 10%, so you might have to change some items depending on availability.

That website does have a bewildering selection!
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Chris_Allen

#8 Post by Chris_Allen »

As an example, here is an SLA crossover I built on the scrap ply that I took out for one the drivers. Most people build the each crossover on a separate block. This simplifies testing and installation but takes up more space.
IMG_20140722_123815.jpg
Built:

smalltownsound

#9 Post by smalltownsound »

Chris, thank you so much for these posts.
Really appreciate you looking through the doc, will amend the mistakes.
It seems like a good website! Fairly reasonable prices as far as i can tell :)

Great to see some photos of the finished product. Will order all the parts and post some more questions as soon as we get building...

Best,
Seb

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

smalltownsound wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:00 pm Great to see some photos of the finished product.
Look at your sketchup. If it was any more detailed you'd be able to smell the sawdust.

smalltownsound

#11 Post by smalltownsound »

hehe, these sketch-up models set a very high standard for beauty!

but yes good point, having had a good look through sketchup models this morning i'm feeling even more confident with it all.
I guess the daunting part was really just finding the correct parts online... once i have all in my hand I feel it will be a lot simpler. Maybe once I polish off the spreadsheet with links to all, then other people in same position could use...

Can I just ask what those screw attachments you used to connect wires together are called?

Thanks all,
Seb

tallevan

#12 Post by tallevan »

They are called terminal blocks.

You can get them at any DIY shed, builder's merchant, hardware or electrical supply shop.
They are used in residential and commercial wiring to join mains-voltage cable in the UK.

Probably confusing for our American friends, they (I believe) use little plastic-encased conical springs that you twist onto connections instead.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#13 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Terminal blocks are the same on both sides of the pond. Those conical things are called wire connectors.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gear- ... /203709061

We don't use those in speakers.

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

You don't need terminal blocks....just solder the wires together and save all the time "screwing" around.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

smalltownsound

#15 Post by smalltownsound »

Another question before placing the order... in the plans it says for the high pass .. "Both of the caps in the tweeter HP filter carry high frequency signal to the tweeter, so those must both be poly caps."
is this a poly cap? https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalo ... -2785.html
just not sure what poly stands for.
thanks,
Sebastian