Just another TLAH's and SLAH: First impression

Post your reviews and pictures here.
scornil01

Just another TLAH's and SLAH: First impression

#1 Post by scornil01 »

First impression: Holy Santa Clause sh*t! These sound amazing! Having built many BFM cabs, I already expected them to be great... but they still managed to exceed my expectations.

I purchased these plans back in 2008 along with my first BFM cab build and haven't had a chance to make them until recently. Over the summer, we had a slab leak in the kitchen which forced a whole house remodel. It was the reason i needed to upgrade the home theater.

Drivers: GRS 4PF-8
tweeters: Goldwood GT-302

Bought the wood back in Dec. Unfortunately I only have MDF available to me but it worked out well. took me about 2 months just working on it during the weekends. Yesterday, i mounted the last tweeter and got to testing. Unfortunately for now, I am only able to test with my Lepai 2ch mini amp and my iphone for the source. so i havent been able to test all 3 (2x tlah and slah) together yet.

For my test, I played Ford vs Ferrari on the part where (spoiler alert) Ken Miles passes the Ferrari and when Shelby takes Ford for a test drive. Wow, even with out proper test equipment, these cabs sounded so crisp and clean. Was such a satisfying feeling after spending hours soldering 60 tweeters/mids together.

Ill give an update once i get all connected to my Yamaha Rx-A780 and have a proper video source.

My only issue:
Because i have high ceilings, I'm not sure where and how I should mount the SLA surrounds i will be building soon. In the last picture (my house just after completing the remodel), you can see that the opposite wall of the tv is the opening going into the kitchen. I was planning on mounting the 2 surrounds where those circles are and pointing them down towards the seating area. Any suggestions on a better placement and or orientation?
2020-02-10_12-00-44.png
2020-02-10_12-02-19.png
2020-02-10_12-02-51.png
2020-02-10_12-07-45.png

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Just another TLAH's and SLAH: First impression

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Aiming them down might make them too directional, aiming them out or on an angle may be better, but it's tough to say for sure. There's a lot of ways to do it with their shape, so I'd experiment.