triangular ports

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
shrub0

triangular ports

#1 Post by shrub0 »

Bill and friends does anyone have an idea how to model triangular ports?
I see bill sells plans for the simplexx with triangular ports but I can't support him this time because this is for a 4th order bandpass
design.

I'm also thinking of adding a quarter wavelength resonant trap to the vent.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Here's a project showing the trap
http://projectgallery.parts-express.com ... bass-book/

Bruce Weldy

Re: triangular ports

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Well, you see.....the triangle port on the Simplexx adds a coherent phase coefficient of a value equal to the ratio of the driver diameter to the cubic volume of the lateral inverse dynamic of the subsonic wave.

....and a partridge in a pear tree....

I have no clue what I said.....of course, I'm not even smart enough to understand the question.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

shrub0

#3 Post by shrub0 »

Well i have winisd and that can model square and round ports but wanted to try triangle ports. How do i calculate the length and how much does proximity to the side wall and or floor effect the tuning?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

A triangle port models the same as round or square. What matters is the area, not the shape. The sidewall doesn't affect anything. I tested them and compared the results to round ports mounted in the middle of the baffle. No difference.