Handmade Tube Guitar Amp project

Anything not covered elsewhere.
NukePooch

Handmade Tube Guitar Amp project

#1 Post by NukePooch »

Last spring, I needed a project for an computer/networking/electronics program. I went old-school...designing and building a hand-wired tube guitar amp. I was able to make the amp work in time to graduate in May, but it took a bit longer to finish, as these things often do. Over the past month, I was able to add the looks that I didn't have time for earlier this year.

It's based on a 5E3 Fender Deluxe, but has a bunch of mods and tweaks...I can't play guitar worth a darn, but it's something I always wanted to do.

Special thanks to Rob Robinette's excellent tube amp website...if you ever wanted to know too much about tube amps, it's a good place to start.
https://robrobinette.com/Amp_Stuff.htm

If anyone has questions and/or just wants to know more, let me know.
Attachments
guts.jpg
chassis.jpg
cabinet.jpg
front.jpg
amp.jpg
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Seth

Re: Handmade Tube Guitar Amp project

#2 Post by Seth »

Really good look'n job there. Congrats on the success (project and school)
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Sweet!
TomS

Chris_Allen

#4 Post by Chris_Allen »

That is nice, would love to hear it. Would like to do the same if I could only find time between work and the kids.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Ha! I've been considering building a 5E3 myself. The other two guitar players in the band I'm in have built their own 5E3s. Although, I'm leaning toward the Princeton version which is pretty much the same, but with reverb.

Those are great sounding amps.....only downside is that the volume is pretty much off or slamming....not a lot of difference between 3 and 10.

I like the way you are orienting it as a head instead of a combo. I was considering ways to make a combo, but with the controls in the front instead of on top.

Great build!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

nivlek

#6 Post by nivlek »

Nice job Nuke! Great craftsmanship! Thanks for the link too!! That will prolly be a very good read that you recommended...I've already began.

nivlek

#7 Post by nivlek »

Nice job Nuke! Great craftsmanship! Thanks for the link too!! That will prolly be a very good read that you recommended...I've already began.

NukePooch

#8 Post by NukePooch »

Thanks, all.
The BFM stuff I've done has been more industrial, which looks great in its own right, but this I wanted to truly be something to look at.
It was my first time doing anything with vacuum tubes, first time wrapping anything in Tolex, by far the most involved electronic project I've done, etc.
Had a bunch of fun, and of course, figured out things that I'll do differently in the next project.

I was leaning toward doing a Princeton, but wasn't sure I would have had the time to get it done in one semester with everything else I had to do. One of the mods I did add was an effects loop, which sounds good with my reverb, delay, and chorus pedals.

I left the Normal channel pretty much as designed, but did quite a few mods to the Lead channel such as a Marshall-high-gain style tone stack (the original 5E3 can end up with too-much low end...) I also added a master volume, as I didn't want the all-or-nothing tone-vs-volume fight...

The idea of the head came about mostly due to my time schedule. I wanted to be able to have a stand-alone amp, in case I didn't have time to do a speaker cab before the end of the project. As it turned out, I was able to do the cab, but the amp/cab was just missing the looks.

As far as school, it was a long time coming. I'm 44, just got a degree in Network Security and Electronics. Working in IT now. Quite a change from the string of 'laborer-type' positions I've had in the past years.
Built:

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

Hope your job is going well!
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Congrats on the amp, school, and making a major life change.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Mojotone Princeton Reverb kit. I think that will fill the gap nicely for low volume country shows and stick with the Boogie for the rock stuff.

I'll be building a cabinet for it, so I'll probably do a build thread for the whole thing.

By the way NukeP - how does that thing sound?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

NukePooch

#12 Post by NukePooch »

Very cool, Bruce. I was looking at the Princeton Reverb as a possibility before I did the 5E3, but pulled back due to the increased complexity and total cost of parts. Knowing what I know now, I probably could not have built it in the timeframe of 'gotta get it done by May in order to graduate..."
That said, that's the #1 thing I wish I would have had with my final build...onboard reverb.

I've got a Holy Grail reverb pedal in the effects loop, but there's just something cool about that spring reverb tank.

How's it sound? Well, with the caveat that I can build pretty, but sure can't play pretty (very much a born-again beginner)....I'm very pleased.
When I used to play, it was all metal, all the time. Now, I much prefer a cleanish-crunchy blues tone to anything else. My amp does that nicely.

I'm not quite happy with the Lead channel, but that's because of the way I designed/wired it. The 'normal' channel has the Tone, Mid, and Bright switch, then Master Vol, while the Lead channel just goes right into the Master Vol>Poweramp without Tone controls. I did wire in a switch to cascade the Lead into the Normal, which brings the Tone/Mid controls into play, but then it's a bit less 'Blues' and a bit more 'Lead Gain'. For my desired tone, I probably shouldn't have done the Marshall-style tone stack on the Lead Channel....I think I would have more than enough gain with the cascade of the two normal channels. That said, if I put a Mid-cut control in the Lead, it might bring me back to my head-banging youth...LOL.

Other changes?
Do to an oversight in wiring, I put the Lead channel in right after the effects loop, so the Lead channel doesn't go in the loop unless it's cascaded into the Normal channel. It's an easy fix, just haven't got to it yet.

I tested it with an open-back cabinet, but then closed it....I'd like to take the back off again just to see which I prefer.

Like all projects, there's things I'd do differently next time...and it makes me want to build even more. I still would like to figure out an all-tube bass preamp (possibly with a small tube poweramp for practising at home, which is all I like to do.)
Built:

NukePooch

#13 Post by NukePooch »

Oh, and FYI, here's the video I threw together at the 11th hour for the class presentation. The guitar player was a fellow classmate who volunteered to be the guinea pig.
All sounds are thru the Normal channel. Effects were a chorus and flanger pedal on the input, and Guitarix in the effects loop (example: 1:24-2:18 has a Tube Screamer-ish plugin).Volume levels were kept low due to necessity of others in the house.

Pardon the shaky video and vacation-video-style production...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6J6FWoru4w
Built:

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

So, what exactly did you build? That's not the standard 5E3. You have some additional mods with the Master volume, the bright switch, effects loop, etc. Standard only has Tone and the two volumes......pray tell, what sorcery is involved here?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

NukePooch

#15 Post by NukePooch »

Yeah, I'm not sure how pure it would sound compared to a normal 5E3...There's quite a few mods I did that would have 5E3 purists reaching for the pitchforks...

Normal channel tone stack and tone control is standard 5E3, Mid-cut control should be close to 5E3 when on full.
5E3 Bright channel is basically Normal but adds the Bright Capacitor. I have it switchable and added to Normal Channel.
Lead channel has a Marshall high-gain tone stack, adds a lot of gain, and loses the huge 5E3 low end.
I split the channel preamps...the original 5E3 has a weird/cool interaction between the channels..this is one of the downsides of doing the Lead channel mod... If I'm running through Normal, for instance, turning up the Lead does nothing on my amp (like a normal amp). On a standard 5E3, the non-used channel volume actually does stuff.
I can still use a jumper between channels and mix the two channels.
The cascade switch runs the output of the Lead channel into the input of the Normal channel..so in this mode, it's really high-gain. It's still using a 12AY7 into a 12AX7, so it's not as high-gainy as modern high-gain amps, but more than standard tweedy amps. It also adds back the 5E3 low-end with the high-gain as well. I have considered swapping in a 12AX7 for the 12AY7, just to see what it sounds like.
The 3-way negative feedback switch takes output signal and brings it back into the preamp section. This lowers gain and cleans the amp up a lot. I prefer the mid position, with no negative feedback, but no cathode-bypass capacitor. The amp doesn't break up as quick as a 5E3, but it sounds a lot better to me, especially with pedals.
Effects loop is just bypassed when nothing is plugged into power-amp in.

Closest to standard 5E3 would likely be Normal channel with Mid control on full and Bright switch off, the Negative Feedback switch in 'normal 5E3' mode and the Master Volume at full. It's over the top...like the original 5E3.

I've also added a bunch of safety/durability wiring and component changes over the standard 5E3, but those (hopefully) would have a negligible effect on tone.

If I were to do the whole thing over, I'd...
Either add Tone and Mid-cut to the Lead, or drop the Lead channel altogether and have a 1-channel amp. If I try swapping to another 12AX7, I might not touch the Lead at all, and effectively have a 1-channel amp anyways... :roll:
Move the effects loop jacks to the front panel. I use it more than I thought, and it irks my OCD to have cables running around to the backside of the amp. Might make the front panel look too busy, though...dunno. Of course, if I dropped the 'Low' input jacks....
Add onboard Spring reverb, maybe Tremolo.
Build an XF212... I didn't this time due to time and money. I'd like to hear what it sounds like. Would also likely use more of a classic Tweedy speaker...
Built: