Dayton SA240 random turn on

Is this amp OK?
climbikejk

Dayton SA240 random turn on

#1 Post by climbikejk »

So I bought a new, Dayton SA240 for my autotubas about 5-6 years ago. It's worked fine every time I've use it.

But for some straaaannngge reason, last night, my wife and I were startled out of bed by some really loud, low noise. Tornado? Weather radar looked fine.... Wife said "it sounds like your damn subs" So I walked downstairs and sure enough, they were making noise...lots of noise.
The SA240 is set to auto-on but last night when this happened, the light was not green, indicating it wasn't getting a signal. So I pulled out the RCAs....still making really loud, low bass. I then disconnected the speaker leads and everything went quiet. The heatsink was not hot, either. I pulled the power plug just to be safe.

Any ideas? I searched the net for similar issues, and only found one person on Amazon saying it happened to him, also after ~6 years.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Dayton SA240 random turn on

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Ask on the PE Tech Talk forum. But if it's putting out a loud hum with no input signal I'd say it's blown, and 60Hz AC from the wall is making it's way through to the speaker.

climbikejk

Re: Dayton SA240 random turn on

#3 Post by climbikejk »

Thanks I will. It definitely wasn't a hum. It sounded like a bass-heavy scene from a movie, but nothing else was on (not the other amp, tv, Blu-ray, etc).