Omnitop12, my first

Post your build odyssey here.
Tom Smit

Re: Omnitop12, my first

#91 Post by Tom Smit »

ACUA wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:51 pm
I have been wanting to 3d print these horns for a while now. I wonder how hard it would be to build a proper mold and injection manufacture a quality domestic option?

I will invest if it looks like a functional niche in the market! let me know what you are thinking!
3D print?
TomS

ACUA

#92 Post by ACUA »

viewtopic.php?p=284634#p284634

The pictures have gone missing, or I just do not know how to access them. People have started 3d printing horns for their speaker cabinet already. If I bought a machine that would be the first thing I would look at making! :hyper: I would be fun to try a few different designs and comparing them.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Rich4349

#93 Post by Rich4349 »

ACUA wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:34 pm
Be careful regarding the shipping option selected should you option to buy from aliexpress.com as their price per unit ratio is highly flawed, there was a resonance to the price drop relative to number of units in cart and sometimes the shipping cost per unit ratio spikes depending on number of units shipped. May have to do with package sizing requirements but look closely at it. I purchased all 16 units in one order and using the cheapest shipping option they offered it came out cheaper per unit than any of the other methods I modeled up.
For fun I just put 16 horns in the shopping cart, and shipping is quoted at $242!!! Is this close to what you paid?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

ACUA

#94 Post by ACUA »

there is an option to choose shipping method. See attached picture, the arrow shows where to select. I switched to the cheapest option and the shipping price comes to $112. This makes the total cost per unit $18.64 if 16 units is purchased.
Attachments
Untitled.png

howiez

#95 Post by howiez »

ACUA wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:15 am viewtopic.php?p=284634#p284634

The pictures have gone missing, or I just do not know how to access them. People have started 3d printing horns for their speaker cabinet already. If I bought a machine that would be the first thing I would look at making! :hyper: I would be fun to try a few different designs and comparing them.
I have access to a 3D printer at work with a 360mmx250mmx320mm build volume(14.17x9.84x12.6 inches for us Yanks LOL) I can print half a DR200 melded array in there out of ABS. Been trying to find an accurate 3D model to build the array, or get one 3D scanned. A friend worked for a dentist but there scanner was so small it wouldn't fit the GT-1016 in there. I want to try the photo to 3D model thing but I've not had good success with it in the past.

I had the same thought about the injection mold. Dunno about the machine to inject, but I could conceivably build a die here at work. Have sharp gal running our CNC like a boss, she'd cut me something.

Ahh the possibilities are endless...

ACUA

#96 Post by ACUA »

I have completed my high frequency upgrade. From a total of 8 Asd-1001 compression drivers to 16 f151m compression drivers for 8 otop12s. So far these plastic Chinese horns seem to be of sufficient quality. I am excited about this I can’t wait for an event where I can set everything up and let it rip!
Attachments
4FD7BBD6-78D3-492E-8875-D48B9C585BC8.jpeg

burnsze15

#97 Post by burnsze15 »

Man this is great. Kind of breathed some fresh air into this design and got my interest going again.

Updates on how things have been going?

How has the overall performance been with the Chinese CD Horns?

Has anyone else purchased the horns since November?

Happy New Year all.

Out of curiosity would you be able to fab some dual comp horns from the aluminum if compensated? That being said it sounds like the plastic horns are working out well.

How has the 1” gap been between drivers with them stacked?

Also what lifts are those for the fly and how are you connecting the cabs for the fly?

Great job and congrats man. You’ve done a great job with this. Thanks for all the data and time!!