Unlinking 1 output channel on the DCX

The hows and whys of running sound.
commander_dan

Unlinking 1 output channel on the DCX

#1 Post by commander_dan »

Hey guys,

So I want to use one of my old 3 way boxes as a booth monitor. Unfortunately it needs a lot of EQ before its flat sounding, so it would be nice to be able to use the DCX to do this.

My current setup (stereo) uses the LHLHLH configuration with the sum of A+B routed to outputs 1, 3 and 5 for the subs. For the tops: A routed to output 2, B routed to output 4. Currently input C routes to output 6, unused. The outputs are linked for ease of adjusting parameters. It links 1, 3 and 5 together and 2, 4 and 6 together.

Now, can I somehow unlink output 6, so that I can setup a different EQ profile for the monitor box, and still have outputs 2 and 4 linked?

I had a play around with it yesterday and couldn't see a way to do this.
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

J_Dunavin

Re: Unlinking 1 output channel on the DCX

#2 Post by J_Dunavin »

There may be something I'm missing here, but here's my take.
Your not running bi amp, but set up example on page 23 would work for you.
They show Link out as ON, but I'm not sure that would work for you. Even though it would take a little longer to set up, it wouldn't be the end.
They do say that in this config in C would have it's own full range processing.
Plus I would also use this example for your subs. Use just the one summed output. Don't run your subs in stereo, even if you have to daisy chain some cable at the sub amps.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

commander_dan

#3 Post by commander_dan »

J_Dunavin wrote:There may be something I'm missing here, but here's my take.
They show Link out as ON, but I'm not sure that would work for you. Even though it would take a little longer to set up, it wouldn't be the end.
Plus I would also use this example for your subs. Use just the one summed output. Don't run your subs in stereo, even if you have to daisy chain some cable at the sub amps.
Yeah k. I know with my current setup I could just turn link-out off, but I tend to do some EQ changes on the fly which is why it's desirable to have link-out on for outs 2 and 4. It's a shame you can't unlink #6.

I'll give page 23 a go and see if I can get it to do what I want..

Is the reason for not running subs in stereo that you can't hear stereo below 100hz?
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Is the reason for not running subs in stereo that you can't hear stereo below 100hz?
That's correct. :clap:
TomS

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

commander_dan wrote:
J_Dunavin wrote:There may be something I'm missing here, but here's my take.
Yeah k. I know with my current setup I could just turn link-out off, but I tend to do some EQ changes on the fly which is why it's desirable to have link-out on for outs 2 and 4. It's a shame you can't unlink #6.

I'll give page 23 a go and see if I can get it to do what I want..

Hey Dan,
All my mucking around with the DCX leads me to think unlinking is universal.

Don't forget though that once unlinked, you also get individual PEQ on each output channel (rather than a global output PEQ on the linked channels, because any alteration on any linked channel also alters the other linked channels).
Meaning you could EQ your "booth" cabs.

Clear me up on something before I go any further please.
Per your current settings, does the input source for linked outputs 2,4, & 6 = A and B?
If so, it's not running in stereo anyway.

And yes, your sub content is omnidirectional, with one benefit being to keep it not locatable.
Your locatable source is on your tops/mains.
In order to hear stereo, it has to be locatable.

It turns out that stereo separation only works out to about 13 feet (4m), and you have to be standing pretty much right in between L&R mains to hear it then.
Step a metre to the left, right almost disappears, and vice versa.

If it's essential to you to have stereo because of a large amount of panning stereo effects in what you play on your PA, that's ok. Just know that by and large, most people will never hear it.
If you take the leap that most people won't actually hear it, so it's not neccessary, then you can let yourself try playing mono. Most people won't even notice...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

commander_dan

#6 Post by commander_dan »

Ok. After some playing around I found the "copy" function under the "setup" button on the dcx, which allows me to do pretty much what linking the outs was doing. So, I can now run unlinked and agree with you Grant, that this is much more versatile.

So that's problem solved! I can now run a monitor out from my mixer into input C on DCX and route that to output 6 with the EQ settings for my monitor boxes.

Grant, the input for channel 2 is A and for channel 4 it's B, even though the outputs are linked. I can't set them to A and B? I do want to have stereo in my mains, this track is an example of why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJlY5XUFzQ

I thought if I wasn't running in stereo I wouldn't be able to hear the panning effects in that track. Or am I wrong?
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

commander_dan wrote:Ok. After some playing around I found the "copy" function under the "setup" button on the dcx, which allows me to do pretty much what linking the outs was doing. So, I can now run unlinked and agree with you Grant, that this is much more versatile.

So that's problem solved! I can now run a monitor out from my mixer into input C on DCX and route that to output 6 with the EQ settings for my monitor boxes.

Grant, the input for channel 2 is A and for channel 4 it's B, even though the outputs are linked. I can't set them to A and B? I do want to have stereo in my mains, this track is an example of why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJlY5XUFzQ

I thought if I wasn't running in stereo I wouldn't be able to hear the panning effects in that track. Or am I wrong?
Cool, glad you've worked it out.

Will you hear the effects in mono? Yes.
Just not panning.

All I can suggest about it is, getting to your next gig early, play a hard panning FX song, and walk around, and work out the extent of the area in which those FX can actually be heard as they are meant to be heard. You'll find it to be tiny in reality.

Then work out how many people can fit in that area (realising not all the people that can fit in that area will actually be there at any given point of time), and compare it to the total amount of people at the gig.

Many people will hardly know the difference if it was running in mono.
Many will simply be much more wrapped up in the total experience, the song, the lighting, the people they are with, and how "affected" they may be on their substance of choice...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...