CollegeTuba (TruckTuba with extras)

Post your build odyssey here.
howiez

CollegeTuba (TruckTuba with extras)

#1 Post by howiez »

Last year for his first year of college, my son took his PS4 and a TV, a crappy sauder type stand, receiver and KLH 3pc sub/sat system I've had laying around for 25 years. This year we thought we'd build a TV stand with a little storage for the PS4, and maybe some BFM goodness built in.

I started off with the intent squeezing the BFM AutoTuba and a couple shelves together. Then we decided it was too complicated and went for the TruckTuba. I basically added a 9" frame on the front to house a L/R speaker and a shelf. We spent about two weekends on this, and a little time evenings with paint/cleanup/detailing. I bought some $4 closeout midrange Peerless 2" from PE with the intent of adding tweeters later if it didn't sound good enough. I also purchased a $30 LePai 2.1 amp to power this, knowing Bill's horn would be efficient enough to be plenty loud in a dorm room, and the 4x4 midrange/full ranges would give enough for 19yr old ears. Lo and behold it actually sounds decent to my tinnitus ears!

howiez

Re: CollegeTuba (TruckTuba with extras)

#2 Post by howiez »

Here is the first picture, basic TruckTuba with all the panels. The Mrs. was kind enough to buy me a Bostitch compressor and nailgun kit so this first few steps went together FAST!
20150809_181704_zpsr8mawscu.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#3 Post by howiez »

Here I added a corner in, not required in the blissfully simple design, but we'll use it for an access hole later.
IMG_0008_zpsy3tnbz5o.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#4 Post by howiez »

Another view of the corner reflector, creatively braced.
IMG_0009_zps1dyr6auy.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#5 Post by howiez »

The baffle and braces glued on. I went for 4 braces for meat behind each mounting screw.
And you might notice the sticker/masking tape label, they are 4-1/2 long, for a 5" Truck Tuba.
I didn't think the recommended MCM would fit in 4-1/2 as I was working things out.
IMG_0003_zpsojhbgajf.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#6 Post by howiez »

The TruckTuba portion all buttoned up.
So far identical to BFM design other than the extra braces and corner reflector.
As soon as I can i'll start showing the college dorm mods!
20150809_182831_zpsgxymford.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#7 Post by howiez »

Another clamp shot showing the driver cutout.
I really need to get a circle jig, the router got away from me twice.
Luckily I was able to fill it with some putty and it barely shows in the final coated product.
IMG_0013_zpsw6g765i5.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#8 Post by howiez »

I forgot to show, I painted the mouth as best I could.
I put the two halves together and reached in with a pencil to match mark.
In retrospect I might have applied Duratex at this point as well.
The black mouth looks OK, but Duratex looks so nice when it's done!
IMG_0010_zpscb7wotwr.jpg
IMG_0012_zpsiumdiscu.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#9 Post by howiez »

Here I'm adding what will be the top and left side. Note my corner reflector cutout, power cables will pass through there to keep things tidy. I would have liked to make the top/sides all one piece, but then I'd have to find a way to dado or something to hold the real TruckTuba portion cover. This led me to just add the shelves on the front, and after Duratex, you can barely tell anyway.
IMG_0016_zpsznfjdbt2.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#10 Post by howiez »

I don't have any good in between pictures, so here is the right side, middle shelf, and the L/R modules glued in. That dang nail gun makes this go so fast, I can clamp up, shoot some brads, and move on to the next panel. Plus this all had to squeeze together, so It almost all had to go together wet. I basically glued the front baffle and inside baffle for each L/R to assure they were square, then assembled the left and middle shelf in. Then I was able to squeeze the right baffle(s) and right side on and square it all up, leaving only the bottom to glue on.
IMG_0018_zpsd12kwuxd.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#11 Post by howiez »

Here the bottom shelf goes on, and I've drilled out for the 4x4 mid/full ranges. They are Peerless 2" that are flat to 16KHz, and then slope off 10dB to 20k, so I figured they'd sound OK in a small space, and they do. I had to put one of my clamp beams on to work some warp out since I could not get to the back side anymore to pin with the nail gun. You might notice my extractor tool, great for when you drop screws and drill bits and things into tiny holes and have not cut access panels yet...
IMG_0020_zpszhynm1o9.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#12 Post by howiez »

The primed box after rounding the corners with a 1/4" roundover.
IMG_0022_zpse9vfg53v.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#13 Post by howiez »

And the finished product for testing in his room. I didn't have any garage pictures with Duratex applied apparently. Note the LePai 2.1 amp tucked under the shelf just below the sub. I also grabbed some Dayton closeout speaker handles for the ends. At first I was unimpressed with the sound, but remembered I had tested it in the null in my living room with the LePai amp. Even my THT was dull there. We had also tested just the TruckTuba portion in the 'good' corner of my living room with a 300w BASH amp, (spare for THT #2 some day). It sounded great with music and movies, I daresay almost as deep as my old KSW-12 in that corner. Certainly good enough for most in a decent sized living room. Once we moved it to the bedroom, then it really woke up with the wall loading and smaller space. We are driving him to school today, so We'll get to test in the dorm this afternoon. I guess as long as he loves it, it's a win, and a nice Father/Son build. THANKS BILL!
20150820_110005_zpsyn9viveh.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

88h88

#14 Post by 88h88 »

I was a little confused as to the layout on this at first, I assumed you were going to have the sub laying flat and built shelves upwards on top of it. Then the tweeters popped up and I was still confused. Then I got to the end...

Impressive!
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

howiez

#15 Post by howiez »

Thanks, I probably should have it flat because it (the driver)is pretty far off the floor but I set the flat part of the horn mouth on the floor.