Simplexx 110

Post your reviews and pictures here.
joeynaeger

Simplexx 110

#1 Post by joeynaeger »

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share a review of my Simplexx 110 I completed a couple weeks ago. Not much discussion has happened with this series so I hope this review is helpful. I built this cabinet to be used primarily for low volume gigs on double bass. I wanted an easy carry cabinet that I could grab in one hand and carry my bass with the other. For upright, I use a preamp with an adjustable HPF which I usually set anywhere from 60-80 hz depending on room and volume. As such, the lack of low bass response on this cabinet was not a concern for me. The build lived up to its name, and was quite simple to put together with a simple tool set. I mostly used a tracksaw and a drill to do all the work. I had a chance to do several rehearsals and shows this past week playing in the pit for a musical. Without a doubt, this little cabinet has totally satisfied what I was looking for. I can get clear, articulate sounds at volumes that will meet 90% of my needs. I am loving the way electric bass sounds through it as well.

For those considering tweeter vs woofer only, this past week I ran woofer only. I got the crossover wired up today and will be playing a few more shows this week at the same gig. I don't expect a big difference on upright, but I appreciate the extra bight when playing with a pick on electric.

This pic is when we had an amp shootout at work. Mine is the Markbass.
Attachments
P1090416.JPG

Bruce Weldy

Re: Simplexx 110

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Looks like a Walter Woods on top. My bass player has two of 'em.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

LelandCrooks

#3 Post by LelandCrooks »

Nice.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

joeynaeger

#4 Post by joeynaeger »

It is a Walter Woods indeed. It's a great sounding amp with an awesome EQ. I was able to get the Markbass to sound pretty similar though.

abarson

#5 Post by abarson »

That photo says a lot about what the comparative size of the cab is. Thanks!

AntonZ

#6 Post by AntonZ »

Nice, thank you for sharing. It seems you do a different type of gig, but do you have an idea of how it would hold up in terms of sheer volume in a "regular" band setting (drums, guitars, the works)?

joeynaeger

#7 Post by joeynaeger »

You might want two for that. In fact, I DO want two. That being said, I haven't had a chance to push this cabinet to its limits, and it definitely gets loud enough for me to want hearing protection. If you play with a midrange heavy sound and don't mind cutting lows, I bet you could crank one of these pretty hard. If cartage isn't a big issue for you, the extra sensitivity of the S12's might make them a better option for you. You could always make one and add a second one later. Clear as mud?

Edit: I should say, this cabinet is loaded with the 2510.

joeynaeger

#8 Post by joeynaeger »

I finished out the gig last week with the tweeter. I have to say, for upright I am not hearing much of a difference. I have pretty dark sounding strings on right now. A more mid rangey string might benefit from having the tweeter. On electric, I am really preferring having the tweeter. It gives the sound a more open quality and is not harsh at all. I am loving how it sounds with electric so much that I had to spend some time EQ'ing with my Omni12 to match the sound quality of the S10.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

joeynaeger wrote: On electric, I am really preferring having the tweeter. It gives the sound a more open quality and is not harsh at all..
Both the tweeter and the crossover we use are considerably better than those usually found in commercial electric bass cabs.

joeynaeger

#10 Post by joeynaeger »

I wasn't sure about starting another thread, but in doing some experimenting I have a couple questions. I thought that what I was liking about the S10 over the Omni was a a better ratio of 80-200hz to 200-1000hz. After trying a multi band eq with the Omni, I didn't make much headway. On a whim, I stuck my HPF-pre in and adjusted the HPF to about 80hz. That was it! From there, boosting the gain slightly gave a very full, but very clean sound. It turns out the Omni has a little too much extension for my taste. I assume running the HPF in my singal will allow me to achieve a higher SPL before hitting displacement limits on both cabinets, but I could be misunderstanding that. That leaves me wondering, how important is displacement for electric bass rigs really?

Ryan Sober

#11 Post by Ryan Sober »

Displacement = moved air = more low end.
If you don't need tons of ultra-low bass, displacement becomes less important.
It still matters for mid bass frequencies, but our ears get more sensitive as frequency rises.

AntonZ

#12 Post by AntonZ »

I have had discussions on this subject with bass players aiming to design and build their own cabs. Without exception they aim for 40Hz or even 32Hz. Most have never heard a clean 40Hz, let alone 32Hz. Bass guitar is all about the harmonics. First harmonic at 80Hz (or 64Hz, for low B) is much more prominent than the 40Hz/32Hz fundamental. That first harmonic and everything that comes above is what we perceive as typical bass guitar sound. Trying to reproduce 40Hz makes the stage move, drains your amp of power and makes the cones work hard while adding nothing but mud and unwanted stage vibrations to the mix.

I have never been able to convince DIY bass players. You have found out for yourself. Well done.

Displacement is still important indeed, but it is much better put to use from about 70 or 80Hz up rather than down at 40Hz or so.

Ryan Sober

#13 Post by Ryan Sober »

AntonZ wrote:I have had discussions on this subject with bass players aiming to design and build their own cabs. Without exception they aim for 40Hz or even 32Hz. Most have never heard a clean 40Hz, let alone 32Hz. Bass guitar is all about the harmonics. First harmonic at 80Hz (or 64Hz, for low B) is much more prominent than the 40Hz/32Hz fundamental. That first harmonic and everything that comes above is what we perceive as typical bass guitar sound. Trying to reproduce 40Hz makes the stage move, drains your amp of power and makes the cones work hard while adding nothing but mud and unwanted stage vibrations to the mix.

I have never been able to convince DIY bass players. You have found out for yourself. Well done.

Displacement is still important indeed, but it is much better put to use from about 70 or 80Hz up rather than down at 40Hz or so.
Other than the misuse of "first harmonic" (should say second harmonic... first harmonic is the root freq), this post is gold. Every bass player ever should read it.

joeynaeger

#14 Post by joeynaeger »

I suppose personal taste is a factor as well. I think a lot of bassists are really into that mid scooped, low heavy sound, but I would not want that as my go to sound. I think many don't even realize it because that voicing is baked into so many bass amps. I am now thinking a J12l might handle my electric bass needs while being a smaller, easier to carry cabinet than my Omni12.

Luke the Fluke

#15 Post by Luke the Fluke »

AntonZ wrote:I have had discussions on this subject with bass players aiming to design and build their own cabs. Without exception they aim for 40Hz or even 32Hz. Most have never heard a clean 40Hz, let alone 32Hz. Bass guitar is all about the harmonics. First harmonic at 80Hz (or 64Hz, for low B) is much more prominent than the 40Hz/32Hz fundamental. That first harmonic and everything that comes above is what we perceive as typical bass guitar sound. Trying to reproduce 40Hz makes the stage move, drains your amp of power and makes the cones work hard while adding nothing but mud and unwanted stage vibrations to the mix.

I had a ACME bass cab till this year- -3 dB at 41Hz and -6 dB at 31 Hz .... possibly the lowest tuned bass cab out there - and a great engineered bit of kit with a very flat response. Comparing it to other bass cabs was really interesting as it would reproduce lower frequencies it wouldn't have that "rounded" low end response that a lot of cabs seem to have. A friend and I compared it to a barefaced big baby (also a cab advertising good low end extension) - personally however nice sounding it was the lack of sensitivity just wasn't worth it and .... however nice that low end is... 9 times out of 10 in a live situation that sort of low end is just going to cause a problem rather than be a benefit. I would agree with you AntonZ you just don't need that low end extension on a bass cab.