New to BFM cabs making a house PA system

basey

New to BFM cabs making a house PA system

#1 Post by basey »

Hi everybody,
I'm Bruce from the Quad Cities, on the border of Iowa and Illinois.
I'm going to build a PA for one of the live clubs I'm running sound for in the next month or so.
I've got 4 Titan 48s, 2 Omnitop 2x12s, and 3 wedge 10 kits coming from Leland at Speakerhardware.com and almost all the plans from Bill
I've built bass guitar cabs before, but never folded horns. They look like good designs, and if the enthusiasm at this forum and the talkbass forum is any indicator. They most likely will Thump!
The room I'm setting up has a 18' x 12' stage that is about 30 inches high.
The room itself is about 50' x 40' and is about 16' high.
I plan on using the Beringer 2500s along with the eurodrive processer.

It might be more than the room needs, but its a heavy metal bar so... :twisted:
I plan on taking and posting pictures along the way. (I have found the pictures on this forum very helpful to me so far)

Tim A

#2 Post by Tim A »

Well, have fun, and ask if you need help.

This concerns me a bit:
basey wrote:I'm going to build a PA for one of the live clubs I'm running sound for in the next month or so.
If that's closer to a month, you better start cutting yesterday. If I were limited on time, I'd start with the Titans and work on the OTops 'in between'. The biggest problem you'll face with the Wedgehorns is cutting the parts, so if you have the equipment to set up a cut and make all of them at once it'll save you some time.

Normally, I would strongly recommend you build one of each first to weed out all the errors, then build the rest assembly line style. If you feel you have time for that it'd the safest way to save plywood.

Understand, I'm not saying these cabs can't be built in a short period, they can be. Typically when someone gets through a fairly large build quickly it's because they had the resources, ie: A wood shop, help, knowledge, experience. I have no idea where you stand in all of that, just giving you some food for thought.

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

Give yourself time to set it up and tweak knobs, RTA, make cables, etc. before you run a show with it. A new PA will have a learning curve.

basey

#4 Post by basey »

Thanks for the replies and concerns. I actually have a 2 or 3 three month time period. Maybe I'm being a little bit optimistic with a month and a half.
I do plan on starting with the Titans and then the Otops and then the wedges. I have an entire month off from school in June so I'm hoping to start setting up and balancing in that time. I'm really excited to here how they sound.

Thanks,
-Bruce