Latest project finished (no BFM inside, sorry)

Marko Ursin

Latest project finished (no BFM inside, sorry)

#1 Post by Marko Ursin »

Sorry but I'm so excited about this that I have to show it to you:

After an Omni15TB I wanted to have a break about speaker cabinets. What would be better than a new bass! I've always wanted a headless bass but tuner/bridge has been so expensive that it has made the dream not came true. Finally I (no, I didn't buy a bridge) decided to make the tuner/bridge myself. I've been doing a few bass bridges out of brass earlier so this one is also made of brass. I also installed side dot fiber optics to this alder/rosewood-bodied wenge-necked bass. Seymour Duncan passive soapbar pickups and nitro finish. Everything except fretwire, pots, pot knobs, pickups, wires, output jack, optic fibers, LED and strings are made by myself.
The shape is inspired by Status Kingbass as you can see (I hope).
I have rarely been this excited about the basses I've made. This one really gets me rocking!

[/img]

David Carter

#2 Post by David Carter »

Very nice!
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

AntonZ

#3 Post by AntonZ »

Now that is true DIY spirit, my hat off to you Marko.

Just out of curiosity for how it was made, do you have any pics of the bridge in different stages of machining and construction?

And just let me know if you get tired of the looks and decide you rather have a rat fur covered bass next, ok? I'll gladly take this beauty for shipping costs :wink:

DAVID_L_PERRY

#4 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

Well done that man
I am a status fan, the King bass is a lovely looking bit of kit:-

How do you find the tuning on your home built bridge.....

I have also always loved headless basses and made my first years ago...its dreadful, but hey I was only 19 (I think). Its an all aluminium neck with LED's along the side. I got a pal to make the bridge, but used standard bolt thread so its simply impossibly to tune up unless you have a hex key :lol:

I am now fortunate to have a pair of Status basses (one custom built
:shock: ) and its lovely.....

I really want to have another go now i have little bit more ability and tools, so far I have bought a book on 'build your own guitar' but thats about it...!! :D

Marko Ursin

#5 Post by Marko Ursin »

Thanks for the comments.
It's easy to tune this bass. Just as easy as any headless I've tried. And I really like the looks of my tuners. Yesterday I took the bass to rehearsals and our guitarist (who also makes his guitars himself) was really impressed about the looks of my bass. And the sound was great also. I like the way wenge sounds and feels in the neck. Very solid feeling and sounding.
If you want I can send you a pic of the bridge without the top plate. But be warned when you deside to make yourself a bass. It will not be the last one you'll make. So far I've made about ten "last" basses for myself:)
Marko

DAVID_L_PERRY

#6 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

Marko Ursin wrote: If you want I can send you a pic of the bridge without the top plate....
Please do, and the nut as well, looks like you have used standard strings rather than DB ends....
Cheers, Dave

asad137

#7 Post by asad137 »

Hi Marko -- I saw your pics in your Talkbass thread ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401558 ) -- looks good.

I like your bridge design as well. It looks like the axis of the adjusting screw isn't collinear with the strings and I'm wondering why. It seems as though it works well enough, but I'm just curious.

Asad

Marko Ursin

#8 Post by Marko Ursin »

The tuning screws are in line with strings. It's the shine on the brass parts that makes it look otherwise.

Bridge saddles are from another bridge. Can be found cheaply from eBay.

Head clamp is simply set screws holding the strings. Also very easy to make and gives a lot more choice for strings.

Marko