Old Dog Learns New Trick

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Old Dog Learns New Trick

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Been a little slow around here, so I thought I'd regale you with a narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, and barely interesting tale of my journey into my most recent musical first....

After hundreds of gigs playing and singing in bands, trios, and duets, I finally had my first solo show last Thursday. It was supposed to be a duet, but unfortunately, my partner in this gig had to bury his mother that day (unfortunate for the death, not missing the show....how could ya'll even think that?). So, it was either cancel the show or do it by myself.

Been thinking about doing some solo stuff for a while, so I took the plunge and two months short of my 66th birthday and over 50 years of playing gigs - it was finally going to be all about me...wait....I mean ME!

Have to be honest, as it got closer - I was getting nervous. Not about the singing, because I know that no matter where I play - I'm at least the third best singer within 10 feet of me....so I've got that going for me. But, as a life-long electric player, I'm not used to having to be there all the time, on every beat, you know....like bass players (I have to admit, I do have a begrudging respect for them being there every beat despite their lack of ability to play an actual guitar). This was going to be on one of my acoustics....also known in my office/music room as the lonely, we get no respect, haven't been opened in months, why does he hate us so much?, least exciting of the 6 string world (unless of course, you're Tommy Emmanuel - that freak of nature).

Anyway, it was either going to be the Martin D-35 that's been languishing in my closet since 1978 - coming out for the occasional trip to the coast, or just showing it to people who want to see a guitar with no pickups and a hole in it......or, the Maton - an Australian-made guitar that I just had to have after playing one on a cruise ship (what happens on a cruise ship, stays on a cruise ship).

Because the Maton is a single cutaway and is a little smaller than the monstrous dreadnaught that is the Martin - it got the nod. Plus, it plays really well for an acoustic.

I've known this show was coming up for a couple of weeks, so I set about the task of coming up with enough songs that I could play and sing to fill up a 3 hour show. With no solos, a three-minute song somehow only takes about a minute and a half to play, so the song count needed to fill that allotted time is, through some fluke in the musicverse, about 8 times more than you think.

But alas, there's a little device known as a looper. This little one-button pedal has the ability to play back exactly what you just played, allowing you to play a solo over the top of it.....and all you have to do to make it work is to somehow use your foot to activate it exactly on the 1 of the upcoming measure, while your guitar starts a pickup on the 2 and the vocal has a pickup on the 3 of the preceding measure. So, two hands, one mouth, and one foot trying do three different things at three different times. And that’s to start the recording. If you want to play that recording back later in the song, you have to double-tap that sucker to get it to stop recording (which is certainly not the tempo that your hands and mouth are traveling when that action needs to be done).

Whew! Finished, right? Not so fast there big fella…..now you’ve got to go through the whole process again trying to time the playback while doing all that other stuff that you did to get it started in the first place. At this point, the crowd thinks you are trying to play, sing, and stomp roaches up there.

I worked with the Looper for several hours to get to the point where I could use it successfully…..as a paperweight.

But I digress. After coming up with a list of about 70 songs and the ability (if not the courage) to use the looper on a few of those to drag things out a little, I practiced and practiced until that giant-stringed acoustic had my fingers screaming that they wanted the Les Paul and the Telecaster back with the light gauge strings. Sorry boys, this is a finger-picking (did I mention that I almost exclusively finger pick on acoustic?) show and to shut up, suck it up, and do their job…..whereupon, they went on strike and refused to pick my nose or scratch my butt until they got a break.

Now on to the technical portion of this tale of my “coming-out of the closet” as an acoustic performer. Because of my incredibly bad back (going to the neuro-surgeon in a week or so to see if he can invade my spine to give me some relief…and give himself a new bass boat), I was trying to keep the equipment list as light as possible. The venue has a couple of QSC K12s hanging over the stage, which is plenty for this place. They also provide a mixer, but I decided I wanted more control than just three band EQ and one effect, so I set up my little XAir12 for my massive two-input setup. The Maton went into my tuner and the Ditto Looper straight to a Hi-Z input on the mixer. Added some reverb and chorus to the guitar and some reverb and a short delay to my mic. Bypassed their board and went straight into the mains.

Still had to carry mic stands, my Roc-n-Soc tall pneumatic stool with footrest and backrest, cables, mixer, iPads, etc….but I didn’t want to have to take a powered monitor, so this was not only my first solo show, but also the first time that I’ve used in-ears. Didn’t even use an Aux, just came out of the headphone jack to my KZ KS10 in-ears. Side note, the KZs are cheap and sound better than the Shures that cost 3-4 times as much. I’ve ABed ‘em and they are hands down better and the earpieces hold their shape wonderfully. I’ve been wearing ‘em to the gym for months.

I always like monitoring what’s going to the mains (that’s the soundguy in me), so getting the mains output via the headphone jack was perfect and didn’t require a headphone amp or a wireless system.

At this point, everything was ready to go.

Haven’t mentioned it, but the venue is a restaurant/bar with an outside patio – that’s where I was. On a Thursday night, most of the crowd is way back from the stage. The little bit of crowd that is close are folks just waiting for their table. So, I probably could have played the same 10 songs over and over without anyone hear the same song twice. However, I actually had some folks come out and spend the entire evening – so, I’m glad I had 70 songs ready.

Got there early, made several trips to my truck to bring in the gear (why so much crap for a solo show?), got everything setup and sound checked and sat back and waited for my big moment.

Have to admit, I was excited that I had the crowd’s attention as soon as I sat down. Unfortunately, I realized that it was because I forgot to zip up after the pre-show tinkle…anyway…..

Everything started fine and I even pulled off using the looper on a couple of songs. As more friends showed up, I was more at ease. It’s always easier to play when someone is paying attention – even if it’s only a few. In the second set, a couple of 20-something girls way in the back were singing along with Long-Haired Country Boy, then came right down front and sat in front of the stage and listened. Another couple sat right up front also, so now I had them along with a table of friends hollering out requests – getting feedback from the crowd always makes things better. The show just got better as it went on – taking requests…telling them I didn’t know that song…you know the drill.

Tip bucket started getting some action. Not sure if it was because they liked what they heard or they felt sorry for the old, bald, fat guy trying to make a buck at something he clearly wasn’t cut out for….but, once again, I digress.

Scheduled show time was until 9pm, but the folks I was playing to were sticking around and we were having some good banter back and forth – so I ended up playing an extra 15-20 minutes.

Tore it down, loaded up, got my check, and counted the tip jar. All of the cash was actual American currency with no counterfeit bills or notes with suggestions that I put my voice to better use like scaring pigeons away from buildings. The check from the venue was deposited in the bank the next day and it didn’t get kicked back.

So, all in all, my first solo show was a reasonable success – no one got hurt and of all the tomatoes that got thrown, not a single one was rotten! And I love tomatoes.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

AntonZ

Re: Old Dog Learns New Trick

#2 Post by AntonZ »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:12 pmBut, as a life-long electric player, I'm not used to having to be there all the time, on every beat, you know....like bass players (I have to admit, I do have a begrudging respect for them being there every beat despite their lack of ability to play an actual guitar).

But but but but....

..... hang on, let me get my thinking cap straight.....

..... apparently still not exactly right .....

..... cause it still short circuits on the ole brain ......

Eeeeeerrrmm ..... should I say: "why, thank you for the compliment!"
or rather: "how come after all these years of gigging you still underrate the competence and value of the single most important instrument and musician in any band ?!"

Thanks for your gig report, very enjoyable :cowboy: :clap:

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

AntonZ wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:02 pm
Eeeeeerrrmm ..... should I say: "why, thank you for the compliment!"
or rather: "how come after all these years of gigging you still underrate the competence and value of the single most important instrument and musician in any band ?!"
Bass players are like the mule pulling the plow.....ain't no rows gettin' hoed without 'em. But, if you ever let 'em think they're important, they might want to get paid....or God forbid, get to talk to the girls. Keep 'em fed and they'll keep you in high cotton. :cowboy:

But, all joking aside, I had the pleasure of playing with an ansolutely amazing bass player and good friend for over 45 years. Guided my musical journey more than anyone else. RIP Earl.
17629928_10211381335504192_4416621299765241823_n.jpg

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Good on you Bruce!

In no particular order, I'm impressed with:
You remembered the tip jar, and real money went in it.
You got a looper.
You chose the Maton.
You admit to using Berry.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the laugh.
Glad it went well for you...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:39 pm Good on you Bruce!

In no particular order, I'm impressed with:
You remembered the tip jar, and real money went in it.
You got a looper.
You chose the Maton.
You admit to using Berry.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the laugh.
Glad it went well for you...
The story on the Maton was that we were on a New England cruise and there was an old bass player in one of the lounge bands that I met in the restaurant. We got talking and he said that he was learning to play guitar (see, redemption is possible for bass players). So, we met up in the lounge one afternoon when it was closed and spent a couple of hours playing his new Maton. I was familiar with the brand because I knew that Tommy E. played one.

I really liked the way it played and decided I wanted one. However, in my usual cheap-ass, frugal self, I coudn't pull the trigger on it until after about a year of talking about it. My wife finally got tired of hearing about it and told me to buy one. At that time there were only 6 Maton dealers in the US. Only two of 'em had that model, so I bought the one from the store in Kentucky that gave me the best price. Now, I've never bought a guitar that I haven't played - so it was a big deal for me. Plus, that guitar cost more than my LP, ES335, and Martin D35 - combined! Of course, I bought all of those others in the 70s...

I don't play it much, but I really like how it plays.

As far as the Behringer mixer......yeah, I'm big enough to admit to having it. I have a 32 channel Presonus rack mixer, 2 Presonus 16.4.2s, a Yamaha MG analog and a Yamaha little Mg 6 channel. Really don't want to haul the big ones and the little Yammy doesn't have enough channel EQ on it. A friend of mine tried to give me the XAir, but I wouldn't take it for free, so I gave him $100 for it.

It filled a void for something small and light for acoustic shows. I've mixed on everything Behringer has ever built in the digital realm, so it was no problem using it. I like the Presonus workflow much better, but for a little "set it and forget it" show like an acoustice duo, it does a good job. It's weird that is called a 12 chanel board, but it only has 4 xlr inputs and the rest are 1/4". Can't for the life of me think of a band that would need 8 line inputs with only 4 mic inputs - but I guess it's all marketing.

Full disclosure while I'm admitting to shortcomings......I wanted to get 4 monitor outs in my rack, but only had room for a 2U amp, so I bought a 4 channel Berry and reversed the fan so that the air flow matched up with my Crowns. Only puts out maybe 100 watts per channel (claims 175 at 8ohms..I know they are liars), but no one has ever complained that my monitors aren't loud enough. Saves me from having to get out an additional rack of Crowns when I only need 4 monitors.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

We always talk about you, you, you, but every-now-and-again I wanna talk about....
Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:12 pm Been thinking about doing some solo stuff for a while, so I took the plunge and two months short of my 66th birthday and over 50 years of playing gigs - it was finally going to be all about me...wait....I mean ME!
want to talk about I, want to talk about number one......
:lol:

Thanks for the story Bruce. Enjoyed it. Hope you get to do it some more. Hope your back gets mended.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

A long time mate has an F hole Maton acoustic/electric. Even though it was guitar no 1, I think that's wife no 2. Wife No1 is his 57 strat.

I understand your reluctance to not buy without playing. Maton are remarkably uniform guitar to guitar sound wise I find, but the odd one has a tinny shrill to it that's a PITA through PA, but sounds fine acoustically. Could be fudging around with the internal pickups and mikes, or hundreds of miles on our wonderful roads. Good for you you didn't get one of the "off" ones.
I don't buy cymbals without hitting them either.

Plenty of Aussies seem to be leaning towards Cole Clarke's lately, which all have an over the top high end. Sound wise, I dislike them intensely. Thin, toppy.

I use 3 x XLS 1000's in my mons rack case for WH8's, other stuff for drum fill. I remembered you turned the fans around in the Berry for airflow.

Way back when I joined the forum, Berry DCX2496/DEQ2496 combo was cheaper here than driveracks. I have 2 each of the combos and 1 PA2. The berry's are in the analogue rack(s). Now driverack PA's are being sold for more than they came out at originally.
Other than that I have one berry effects unit used sparingly for drums in the analogue big rack, but everything else has been gotten rid of, or died. But I prefer the SPX50-D or the Alesis MPX 100.

Still, this is about your first solo gig, and to you Sir, I take my hat off. Good on ya!
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

9830Lark

#8 Post by 9830Lark »

Great post, thanks for sharing.

Bass players are the offensive linemen, you really need them, but they're not noticed until they make a mistake. I pretend to be one.

AntonZ

#9 Post by AntonZ »

Grant Bunter wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:33 pmI understand your reluctance to not buy without playing. Maton are remarkably uniform guitar to guitar sound wise I find, but the odd one has a tinny shrill to it that's a PITA through PA, but sounds fine acoustically. Could be fudging around with the internal pickups and mikes, or hundreds of miles on our wonderful roads. Good for you you didn't get one of the "off" ones.
Funny, I think the same yet I own several bass guitars that I got from far away. My best instruments are from a Scottish builder. While it is not another continent entirely, he is still is too far away to drop by for a cup of tea and a little tinkering on a few instruments. Two of them I did hand pick the wood from his stock. After that and some specs it was just wait and see what the mailman brings to my door. I have not been disappointed (which is why I own more than one instrument from this builder).

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

AntonZ wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:38 am
Grant Bunter wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:33 pmI understand your reluctance to not buy without playing. Maton are remarkably uniform guitar to guitar sound wise I find, but the odd one has a tinny shrill to it that's a PITA through PA, but sounds fine acoustically. Could be fudging around with the internal pickups and mikes, or hundreds of miles on our wonderful roads. Good for you you didn't get one of the "off" ones.
Funny, I think the same yet I own several bass guitars that I got from far away. My best instruments are from a Scottish builder. While it is not another continent entirely, he is still is too far away to drop by for a cup of tea and a little tinkering on a few instruments. Two of them I did hand pick the wood from his stock. After that and some specs it was just wait and see what the mailman brings to my door. I have not been disappointed (which is why I own more than one instrument from this builder).
There are at least two bass builders within 30 miles of me. One builds almost exclusively short-scale basses. And there's another local guy that has been building some really nice Teles. There is so much going on musically here in the hill country of Texas - it's a great place to be for muscians.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

9830Lark wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:35 am Great post, thanks for sharing.

Bass players are the offensive linemen, you really need them, but they're not noticed until they make a mistake. I pretend to be one.
Gotta' admit that I've been blessed by playing with really good bass players forever. I've never been in a band with a bad one.

One guy was left-hander who played a right-handed guitar upside down.....he swithched over to bass for the band we started and within a week was solid as hell - never missed a lick. But, it was really hard trying to follow his hands with the big strings on the bottom. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Seth

#12 Post by Seth »

Bruce, I really enjoyed the story. Good for you, swinging out there and trying some new things! Is there any video of the performance?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Seth wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:49 pm Bruce, I really enjoyed the story. Good for you, swinging out there and trying some new things! Is there any video of the performance?
Ha! Actually there is about 30 seconds that someone posted mainly to show their grandson getting into the music. It's out on FB somewhere under my page. Couldn't pull up a URL on it. It ain't much.

But, come on down to Texas.....there will be more.

Gotta' put on my soundman hat in June. Doing the outdoor concert series again this year. 4 Thursdays in June and July 4th. Pulling double duty on 6/29 - providing sound and my band is playing. Looking forward to that. I used to play these shows all the time, but once I got the contract to do sound, I haven't thrown my hat in the ring. But, this year I decided I'm booking myself - don't have that many years left to be doing this.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210