Omission from OTop8 Plans?

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
Disco Stu

Omission from OTop8 Plans?

#1 Post by Disco Stu »

2 quick questions...

1) In the plans it shows the phase plug extensions extending from the baffle towards the driver but it doesn't say if these are a just a single circular disc the same size as the baffle ones or whether they are multiple discs of 1/2" ply layered, or whether they need to be shaped or resized in some way. All details of their construction appear to be omitted from the plans so just wanted to clarify.

2) Tweeter array orientation, I presume for the straight array it's intended to be best to have the tweeters on their sides with the shortest edges together rather than with the long edges touching as in some of the older style straight arrays in the DR plans etc.

Ta

Bruce Weldy

Re: Omission from OTop8 Plans?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Disco Stu wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:23 pm 2 quick questions...

1) In the plans it shows the phase plug extensions extending from the baffle towards the driver but it doesn't say if these are a just a single circular disc the same size as the baffle ones or whether they are multiple discs of 1/2" ply layered, or whether they need to be shaped or resized in some way. All details of their construction appear to be omitted from the plans so just wanted to clarify.

2) Tweeter array orientation, I presume for the straight array it's intended to be best to have the tweeters on their sides with the shortest edges together rather than with the long edges touching as in some of the older style straight arrays in the DR plans etc.

Ta
From Page 10 of the plans

Also, look at the Sketchup file
Cut two round phase plug extensions. These extensions are the same 3 inch diameter as the plug.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

Re: Omission from OTop8 Plans?

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

What Bruce said, and:
As far as the piezo's go, the cab height is 22", or 21" inside I guess.

I don't think that 10 vertically would fit.
They will have the horizontal edges together I would have thought, to reduce comb filtering.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...