THT cabinet

Get the lowdown on the down low.
Negatron2

THT cabinet

#1 Post by Negatron2 »

Is there any problem with making the exterior of the cabinet from 3/4" plywood and then adding a 1" layer of Perota wood, keeping internal dimensions the same as the 1/2" thick walls? I will still be adding stiffening to the internals but with holes cut into them.

Bruce Weldy

Re: THT cabinet

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Negatron2 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:02 pm Is there any problem with making the exterior of the cabinet from 3/4" plywood and then adding a 1" layer of Perota wood, keeping internal dimensions the same as the 1/2" thick walls? I will still be adding stiffening to the internals but with holes cut into them.
You could, but why? The 1/2 is plenty stiff and the outer layer will make it even more so.....that's gonna' be one heavy cab....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Negatron2

#3 Post by Negatron2 »

I want it to match my Perota Horns...which will be sitting on top. I mainly wanted to know if making the outer cabinet thicker would change the sound.
Last edited by Negatron2 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Use veneer. And don't use 3/4" plywood, unless you have a fork lift. As for placing mains over subs, 99% of the time that's a bad idea. Mains are placed to give the best imaging, subs to give the best overall in room response. That's almost never within the same footprint.

Negatron2

#5 Post by Negatron2 »

My mains are MEHs and are corner loaded...hence put the sub horns under them.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Corner loading is good, but the subs and mains won't necessarily give the best results in the same corners. In most rooms you get a better result with one sub in the front of the room and one in the rear of the room.