My TLAH

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Line92

My TLAH

#1 Post by Line92 »

I have big faith in BFM designs thanks to a couple of builds so far and i really wanted to hear this type of speaker design for home/hifi use, so i built myself the TLAH.
I used the cheapest drivers i could find.
The GRS 4PF-8 and Goldwood GT-302, and bought filter components from a local shop.

The TLAH is a very easy build thanks to great plans and descriptions, but its pretty time consuming to do the back-mounted speakers like i did and make it air tight, and center them perfectly to the holes etc.
But it was a very fun build!

I have listened and used the TLAH at home and in my garage for around a month now, and i really enjoyed the sound, they are very bright and clear sounding, and mine really did need to be broken in before everything sounds right. I am no audiofile but i can really enjoy some good sounding speakers.

This weekend i brought them to the local hifi/car audio store to test them in a acoustically better room than i have. Room was around 5x6m (16x19ft).

I used my SMSL DAC for BT/preamp to a Marantz stereo reciever, connecte the TLAH and some expensive Polk Audio R600 for reference. Also a 10" subwoofer at low level.
The store manager just loves the R600 for their clarity and soundstage, thats why we chose those for reference.
(For info, the manager is also a music producer and have around 20 years of experience in using Monitors and speakers in general.)

I put on Eagles - Hotel California on the Polk R600 and we sat down and enjoyed it for about half the song, and then with a button we switched to the TLAH, and his jaw litterally dropped, he actually said "are you kidding me?" He could not believe how amazing the TLAH sounded.
The sound was no longer mudded or damped, the sound and soundstage just exploded out and filled the room with real instruments, speakers dissapeared and the music and voices truly came alive!
The difference is actually like the Polk R600 had someone standing infront of them and blocking the sound compared to the TLAH where the sound opens up and everything is in place.

We listened for about 2.5 to 3 hours and also tested another small speaker for reference, but with the same result, no real ear fatigue either even tho the TLAH is bright, it is somehow not too bright because all of the register is there.

The sound level we used was low, just a little less than a real voice should sound like.
Even with very very low sound level the TLAH can produce every little detail in the music that you hear normally at higher levels.

The clarity of the TLAH is in another dimension that either me or anyone at the shop had ever experienced before.
Deployed in a good room, the sound is like nothing i have ever heared before, no other standard speaker sounds like this, this is what music should sound like, open, real, clear/crisp and nothing holding it back, i really love my TLAH.

Thanks to BFM for this amazing speaker design and great plans.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230228_125144_Gallery.jpg
20230225_152120.jpg
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
Labgruppen fP6400. fP2400Q. DBX Driverack PA2
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Clef's of Bass

Re: My TLAH

#2 Post by Clef's of Bass »

They look awesome! Great work.

What's the impedance on one of these stacks?

Do they require a lot of power to drive?

Line92

#3 Post by Line92 »

Clef's of Bass wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:27 am They look awesome! Great work.

What's the impedance on one of these stacks?

Do they require a lot of power to drive?
Thanks! :D
They are roughly at 8ohm.
No they require close to nothing to sound absolutely amazing, anything over 20w will do great if you ask me, with this high sensitivity design i would love to try a low watt DIY tube amp, just because its cool. With roughly 20v signal (~50w) they get stupid loud with the same clean sound (its much more that i could handle for one song) and the drivers are still not even close to sweat. Great stuff
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Awesome report!
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Line92 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:52 am we switched to the TLAH, and his jaw litterally dropped, he actually said "are you kidding me?" He could not believe how amazing the TLAH sounded.
Next time you bring along a Tuba HT, and tell him to bring along an extra pair of socks, to replace the pair that gets blown off of him.

Line92

#6 Post by Line92 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 am Next time you bring along a Tuba HT, and tell him to bring along an extra pair of socks, to replace the pair that gets blown off of him.
Haha i could bring my T60s and amps, they pair pretty well to the TLAH with a ~ -12dB gain to fill 25-90hz indoor.
I honestly think the room would break apart.
I have 2 more Lab12 drivers so there will be a total of 4 20" T60s when i have the time to build another two.
Last edited by Line92 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLA PRO 4X6
T60 2x20"
TLAH
AT 20"
TRT