HELP clip light on constantly crown IT 6000

Is this amp OK?
Bigrob1234

HELP clip light on constantly crown IT 6000

#1 Post by Bigrob1234 »

I have a crown IT 6000 amplifier, channel 2 works flawlessly hovered channel 1 has no audio output whatsoever and is plagued by a clip light which is constantly on. However when the channel is left untouched while it is muted or off, the clip light turns off, when u then try and turn up the volume, the light returns instantly. The "ready" and ‘signal’ light are also both on for both channels showing they are infact on and getting signal. The clip light also stays on when no signal is plugged in. I have had a look inside and reconnected/cleaned internals up a bit, I've noticed 2 daughterboards inside, one for channel 1 and one for channel 2, both have leds to indicate their operation, as soon as the led on that board lights up for channel 1, so does the clip light. I've tried swapping the board for channel 2's identical board with no luck, so the daughter board is not faulty? Any other suggestions I should test? Or what could be the cause of this light? I've heard it's a common issue. Thank you!!

Bigrob1234

Re: HELP clip light on constantly crown IT 6000

#2 Post by Bigrob1234 »

I have determined its due to 2 parts simply missing from the amplifier, I have attached pictures of these parts that I need. Any ideas on where I could find these or if someone has any spare it6000's lying around?
Attachments
20230227_132218.jpg
20230227_132207.jpg
20230227_132201.jpg
20230227_132156.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You need to obtain a schematic to identify the parts.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Is it only the clip light that stays on?
Not the fault or thermal light at the same time?
You should also be able to use the DSP menu to tell you the amount of clip events, get the manual for your amp and read it.

Components missing may be from the build of the amp, in a new version. It doesn't necessarily mean components have been removed.
It is highly unlikely that the amp would have left the factory with one side not working, and with a clip light on.

That the clip light is now more or less constantly on indicates some (new) internal issue. I would suggest it's time for the amp to go to the Dr's...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bigrob1234

#5 Post by Bigrob1234 »

I bought the amp for dirt cheap knowing about the issue, it turns out it has some broken diodes on channel one that short out when connected, so to still be able to use the other half of the amp the previous owner has removed parts of channel one so that it doesn't short. I would love to fix it however, as I think it's a pretty sick amplifier. I've read into the service manual a bit but it's like 177 pages so that will take a while lol. I've also contacted crown who might be able to send me some parts. I was just hoping someone had a better idea of where I could obtain these parts. I've already checked ebay btw for other broken it6000's.