Hello. New member looking for advice on club system build.

langster58

Hello. New member looking for advice on club system build.

#1 Post by langster58 »

I am looking for guidance in selecting from Speaker hardware's precut kits. Or other similar options. I am building a system for a electronic music club. The audience is likely to be standing right up against the PA as is often the case. These are the room dimension and images of the room. Would expect to entertain up to 500 people, often 2-300. Guidance on treatment of the space itself welcome. Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Group 1.png
Group 2.png

Grant Bunter

Re: Hello. New member looking for advice on club system build.

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi and welcome! :)

Determining PA for any setting requires precision in regards to decision making.

Given that, what exactly does Electronic Music club mean? What do you need your subs to reproduce content wise to cater for your intended genres?
If you don't know, we can't help.
So measure content with, say, Audacity to determine that aspect.

Next up, despite you saying your audience will want to be at the Mains cabs, you need to specify X dB at Y location in your space (eg 100dB at the Bar) so we can help you determine how many cabs that may require, obviously keeping in mind any statutes about noise limitations in your space.

Other, peripheral equipment is required to run these sorts of systems, like speaker management systems such as DBX driveracks and the like. This isn't something you can add later, consider it to be something you need from the get go, just as you would an amplifier.

There's a lot of glass in that venue, are you 100% locked in already? If yes, you might wish to begin discussions with a noise control expert solution provider in your area.

Similarly, have you got lighting and power distribution sorted? Ideally, lighting and PA aren't on the same circuits.

Get back to us...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Oooo, I wanna rush right out there and say 3-DR280 per side, and a raft of T60s (a la Club Therapy) LOL. But, I must hold back until more details are given.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
TomS

Fastskiguy

#4 Post by Fastskiguy »

I can’t help but I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes :)

langster58

Response: Additional details.

#5 Post by langster58 »

Music Genre: House and techno music live performance.
How loud: The appropriate volume for this genre in a space this size. This is bass music. And, patrons often stand right in front of the DJ.
Trouble: It is in an isolated location. The city should not care as no noise complaints are likely to be made. No alcohol sales on premises.
Group 1.png
Goal: We have a system amps etc now. I am interested in improving on our sound. The goal is to provide the experience of a clean and powerful club sound system.
Power: Is everywhere and plenty of it as this is an industrial space that was running machines.
Lighting: Has yet to be considered. The plan is to put in runs of electrical boxes along the ceiling (three runs) and perimeter.
Room acoustics: We have an opportunity to renovate with decisions that are driven by the room acoustics. We have no idea how to approach this. Perhaps just sheetrock the ceiling and then get the system built and test to decide what and how to sound treat the environment.
Looking for suggestions. We could purchase used or build from flat packs.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Regarding the acoustics, any hard surface is a problem, be it walls, floors, ceilings or windows. Some things you can't fix, like floors in a commercial setting. That makes it more critical that the rest be non-reflective. That can be accomplished with drapes on the walls and windows, flame proof of course. Various ceiling treatments can be found as well, even drapes if you're creative.

This thread is a long read, but worth it to see another member's build of a world class system. viewtopic.php?t=19854&hilit=Club+Therapy

Grant Bunter

Re: Response: Additional details.

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

langster58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pm Music Genre: House and techno music live performance.
Ok
langster58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pmHow loud: The appropriate volume for this genre in a space this size. This is bass music. And, patrons often stand right in front of the DJ.
"appropriate volume for this genre" is a subjective opinion that will or may vary from one person to the next.
The reason it is useless when trying to help you is because the answer to "how much PA do I need?" would be "enough to get the appropriate volume".

I know nothing at all about what you know about PA/ Sound, but the reason I said earlier you need to specify X dB at Y distance is because PA's and sound follow the laws of physics. Adding cabs increases response at a known value, as does distance decreasing response at a known value. Both are utilised to calculate response at a certain point or points in the room.
While that will be greater nearest the cabs, it may not be best for the entire room.
langster58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pmTrouble: It is in an isolated location. The city should not care as no noise complaints are likely to be made.
Get that in writing.
Don't assume it.
I would invite the relevant authorities to the space from the get go to establish a relationship with them that may be beneficial later.
langster58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pmGoal: We have a system amps etc now. I am interested in improving on our sound. The goal is to provide the experience of a clean and powerful club sound system.
How did you decide on what amps to purchase when you don't know what you're using yet?
If you end up using Bill's horn loaded designs, there is such a thing as to much power, and how much you can limit.
And if you bought amps based on the requirements of most direct radiator cabs, you got to much power.
langster58 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pmLooking for suggestions. We could purchase used or build from flat packs.
Go new. Either built or with flat packs....
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

jammer

#8 Post by jammer »

Tom Smit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:44 pm Oooo, I wanna rush right out there and say 3-DR280 per side, and a raft of T60s (a la Club Therapy) LOL. But, I must hold back until more details are given.

I'm assuming club "therapy" is a probably common name, but you don't mean the one that was in Providence, RI, do you?

jammer

#9 Post by jammer »

jammer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm
Tom Smit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:44 pm Oooo, I wanna rush right out there and say 3-DR280 per side, and a raft of T60s (a la Club Therapy) LOL. But, I must hold back until more details are given.

I'm assuming club "therapy" is a probably common name, but you don't mean the one that was in Providence, RI, do you?
After reading the rest of the thread, I found the link to the system build at Therapy. My current shop is directly below their space.

Small world!

Tom Smit

#10 Post by Tom Smit »

jammer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:43 pm
After reading the rest of the thread, I found the link to the system build at Therapy. My current shop is directly below their space.

Small world!
WOAH!!!!!! That's wild!
TomS