a new truck tuba build

Post your build odyssey here.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: a new truck tuba build

#16 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You combine the signals at the input, not the output. However, below 100Hz there's no such thing as stereo, it's summed to mono in the studio.

Seth

#17 Post by Seth »

monekh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:41 pm ...if its such a big no no to bridge channels...
It's not so much that it's a big no-no. It's more so something to be aware of and take advantage of with knowledge and intentionality. I wish the majority of amps (car audio or pro audio) were designed and constructed with power supplies capable of providing the full double voltage swing when bridging. Sadly, it seems most are only capable of delivering twice the power, where twice the voltage would equate to 4 times the power.

The information in the link Bill posted is good info and is true... or, "should" be true. And you should treat the bridging of any amplifier as though it's true until testing or trustworthy diligent research reveals otherwise.

As always, it's up to you to protect your drivers. There have been many many times I was willing to gamble my drivers and got away with it repeatedly, for extended periods, and never had issues. And also a couple times it bit me quick and hard, smoking four brand new, fairly expensive drivers in less than 10 minutes of enjoyment. Ouch.

Just be aware and careful.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

CarterKraft

#18 Post by CarterKraft »

You have nothing to lose at this point running it at 8 ohms bridged.

If you have to change amps etc. that's not too much of a job.

You might find the limited power available at 8 ohms is still PLENTY.

My sons tall Autotuba with 1-10" $50 driver is near painfull in a crew cab truck with 500w, Like reallly stupid output.
Weldon Carter