Wow, that is how it should be done.
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

Clef's of Bass

Re: J210 Lite Build

#17 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Keryn O'Shea wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:10 am Wow man, that's so precise and gorgeous!! How did you paint inside the throats?
Thanks dude!

Well, I took a calculated risk with the finish. It was rattle can truck bed liner. Only found a few reviews that were used on trunk woofer boxes. I figured that if the adhesion fails it will all come off in chunks, be easy to clean up and recover with something else. If the adhesion holds, then.... great!! It was quicker and easier to spray vs rolling. Side note: it went on thin and drys quick. Took 5 cans. I did touch up the back of the throats with regular spray paint by spraying a puddle in a container and applying with a foam brush. Managed to drip a little on the grill cloth :wall: .

So far its holding :fingers:

Clef's of Bass

#18 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Foam and speaker mount done.

Haven't decided on using the LP filter yet. I will be playing a jazz bass with it that I enjoy the highs. But the intent of this cab is to be used in a band mix so maybe getting the most out of the mid range with the filter is better? My amp head does have a treble boost switch on it too.

Ready for wire. Getting closer :hyper:
Attachments
tempImagej80YhB.gif
tempImageH7kt6N.gif
tempImagePk7OY1.gif

Clef's of Bass

#19 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Damn, just realized I made the back braces to wide :slap:

Bill, should I fill it in to make the 6" wide dimension?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#20 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Clef's of Bass wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 am Haven't decided on using the LP filter yet. I will be playing a jazz bass with it that I enjoy the highs. But the intent of this cab is to be used in a band mix so maybe getting the most out of the mid range with the filter is better?
The woofers will play higher without the filter, but the high frequency dispersion will be so narrow that unless you're directly in front of the cab you won't hear it. This goes to the reason for having separate low frequency and high frequency sources. It's not about bandwidth, it's about dispersion.

Clef's of Bass

#21 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:07 am
Clef's of Bass wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 am Haven't decided on using the LP filter yet. I will be playing a jazz bass with it that I enjoy the highs. But the intent of this cab is to be used in a band mix so maybe getting the most out of the mid range with the filter is better?
The woofers will play higher without the filter, but the high frequency dispersion will be so narrow that unless you're directly in front of the cab you won't hear it. This goes to the reason for having separate low frequency and high frequency sources. It's not about bandwidth, it's about dispersion.
I see. LP filter it is then. Better to get the midrange gain 8)

Thanks!

Tom Smit

#22 Post by Tom Smit »

Clef's of Bass wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:16 am Damn, just realized I made the back braces to wide :slap:

Bill, should I fill it in to make the 6" wide dimension?
It probably is okay but, if you want, you could add some gussets inside against the cross braces of the back braces, to fill in the need. 2" high, 2" long with the diagonal 1/4" away from each.
TomS

9830Lark

#23 Post by 9830Lark »

I've been very pleased with my J10 Lite with LP filter. Now, I do play a P-bass with flats, but it seems plenty bright for me and I can EQ more in if needed.

Clef's of Bass

#24 Post by Clef's of Bass »

9830Lark wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:10 pm I've been very pleased with my J10 Lite with LP filter. Now, I do play a P-bass with flats, but it seems plenty bright for me and I can EQ more in if needed.
Awesome, I can't wait to play through it. I'm glad you like yours, its always good to hear from another bass player.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#25 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'm a bass player. :wink:

Clef's of Bass

#26 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Filter and Speakers wired.
Attachments
tempImage2Ba8vI.gif
69181036226__AEE0101B-FBAD-4E2B-9F5C-F56EB19D482F.jpeg

Clef's of Bass

#27 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:07 pm I'm a bass player. :wink:
Do you have a preferred cab (weight not being an issue) to play through?

I still want to build another J15 to complement the other one!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#28 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I mainly use a J12 Lite. I have a J15 Lite that I've only used a few times, as the J12 Lite is enough for all but outdoor gigs.

Clef's of Bass

#29 Post by Clef's of Bass »

Few more build pics. These were buried behind some vaca pics on the phone.

Side note on the table saw radius jig sled: Shave flat edges first, do not rotate the piece on the blade until enough material is gone that it doesn't extend to the opposite side of the blade. If you rotate with too much material left then it will pull the blade (not good).
Attachments
tempImageG1hNpz.gif
tempImageLIMzHx.gif
tempImagehZYOoL.gif
tempImagevEMWCE.gif

fender3x

#30 Post by fender3x »

Well now I am really curious. I have seen that sort of circle jig on the internet, but have never tried it. So far all my circles have been done with a router. Does it have an advantage over using a router?

Also curious how you cut out your baffles. You got rid of most of the excess material, which suggests that you used a router to do the final cutting...but the corners are sharper than you'd expect with a router...
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10