'smallest gauge available' = thickest or thinnest?

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
monekh

'smallest gauge available' = thickest or thinnest?

#1 Post by monekh »

Planning to build a couple of Jack10s with passive filters, but having only biamped before and being from the UK, I wanted to double check what is meant in the plans when it says to choose 'the smallest gauge available' for the inductors... does this mean the lowest gauge number (i.e. the thickest), or the gauge that is physically the smallest (i.e. the thinnest)?

my pocket is hoping for the latter but my gut says it's probably the former...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: 'smallest gauge available' = thickest or thinnest?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The smallest wire diameter. Wire gauges are like shotgun gauges, the smaller the number the larger the bore.

fender3x

#3 Post by fender3x »

I see that for a piezo tweeter array, 28ga is recommended in the plans (J12L). The only reference I see to wire gauge for the low end is that the inductor should be 14-18ga. Should the wiring for the woofer be in this gauge range as well?
One man's magic is another man's engineering. --Heinlein

1 x DR250
1 x T39
1 x Omni 10

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

fender3x wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:53 pm I see that for a piezo tweeter array, 28ga is recommended in the plans (J12L). The only reference I see to wire gauge for the low end is that the inductor should be 14-18ga. Should the wiring for the woofer be in this gauge range as well?
I'd use 12-16ga for the woofer. The tweeters are pretty much anything you have....I prefer something bigger than 28ga as that's pretty danged small for soldering.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I like 28ga for soldering to piezo lugs as it takes minimal heat.