Speaker Mounting Suggestions for XF212

Guitar cabs both you and your audience can hear better.
AxeMan7

Speaker Mounting Suggestions for XF212

#1 Post by AxeMan7 »

I am currently working on completing my XF212 and have a question regarding the mounting of the speakers on the baffles.

There is little room around the cutout to mount the spiked 1/4-20 T-Nuts I have. The speaker mounting holes to the edge are .25"-.375"on the Fender (Eminence) speakers. The Celestion have about .125" more from the mounting holes to the edge.

The issue I see in mounting the speakers from the rear of the baffle is removing them with the baffles glued in place based on the angles, even with having all the back panels individually Tolex wrapped and removable.

If I mount the speakers to the front of the baffles......

1) Can I use wood screws?

2) What "gasket", if any, should I use between the speaker and the baffle as is on the front of the speaker edge?

Bruce Weldy

Re: Speaker Mounting Suggestions for XF212

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

AxeMan7 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:45 am
1) Can I use wood screws?
Yep. Personally I like small hex head lag bolts. Then you can use a drill driver on them. Less chance of having a screwdriver slip and put a hole in the speaker
2) What "gasket", if any, should I use between the speaker and the baffle as is on the front of the speaker edge?
Put a layer of weatherstripping on the back of the speaker and use a utility knife to cut reliefs for the holes.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Have you read the plans?
The drivers mount to the baffles from the front. They may be attached with either screws or bolts and T nuts.

:confused:

AxeMan7

#4 Post by AxeMan7 »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:55 am Have you read the plans?
The drivers mount to the baffles from the front. They may be attached with either screws or bolts and T nuts.

:confused:
Bill,
You seem to take delight in admonishing me continually for my questions. What a shame you cannot be a mentor instead of a being the captious individual you are.
Though I am thankful for all the positive responses I have received to my questions, I will take my exit from this forum rather than put up with your attitude.

ACUA

#5 Post by ACUA »

You want Bill to build the speaker cabinet for you too? You are way to sensitive for your own good.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You know, sometimes you've got to be an asshole, if only to preserve your own sanity.

The OP has ignored every bit of instruction from day one. It started when he ignored this on the main page: Please email us only if you have questions about the ordering process. Emails go to our plans ordering department. No one there can help with technical questions or offer advice. Please post all technical questions and requests for advice about our speakers on the Forum.

Next he ignored the cover letter email that accompanied his plans delivery, and bitched about not being able to open the attachments as a result of his not following directions. Then he ignored the directions in the plans on how to go about assembling the cab, next he ignored the directions on how to mount the drivers. Those two screw ups could only have been the result of ignoring this instruction near the top of page one of the plans: please read these instructions completely through at least twice before you make with the sawdust.

I try to be patient, but I'm not Job. :wall:

jimbo7

#7 Post by jimbo7 »

I feel like I'm usually the a$$hole when I respond to questions. I've probably deleted more replies than submitted (on all other forums, too). Some people just can't be helped, and few are worth my time.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

RunTheOtherWay

#8 Post by RunTheOtherWay »

AxeMan7 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:45 am I am currently working on completing my XF212 and have a question regarding the mounting of the speakers on the baffles.

There is little room around the cutout to mount the spiked 1/4-20 T-Nuts I have. The speaker mounting holes to the edge are .25"-.375"on the Fender (Eminence) speakers. The Celestion have about .125" more from the mounting holes to the edge.
It's a non-problem on my XF210, for what it's worth:

It's no big deal that not all of the spikes on the T-nuts are stuck into wood. It's not like they're going anywhere. Especially since I used cap screws and t-nuts for every hole in the speakers, I felt no need to use any kind of gasket. Part of the reason I used the 1/2" joined solid pine board for the baffles that I did was because it was dead-flat even after having taken no special care with its storage over at least 15 years. I just felt like the speakers are so much more secure with the cap screws and t-nuts and even frequent speaker swaps won't tear up and weaken the wood. I'm really proud of this cab and I recommend Bill Fitzmaurice's cab plans to anyone who'll listen.